Best Post-Election Reaction

Windseeker

Guest LiterateParakeet
On November 10, 2016 at 6:24 AM, Godless said:

I just ran into this article, which is great because it'll save me a bit of typing here. In short, many of the women in my life are hurting pretty badly this week, including some right-of-center LDS family members. This isn't about our candidate losing (many of us weren't overly fond of Hillary). We've lost elections before. It stings, but life goes on. This election result brings with it a unique pain in the fact that half of Americans knew the toxicity of the man they were voting for and voted for him anyway. They told women that a man can ridicule them, say vulgar things about them, and flippantly condone sexual assault and still be elected president. They told Hispanic Americans that it's okay that their counrymen are about to be herded like cattle and sent back to the squalor from whence they came. They told Muslim Americans that they aren't real Americans, that the people of their home nations aren't worth saving because terrorism. They told our children that it's okay to bully and ridicule people who don't agree with you.

All of the darkest sides of our culture have been exposed and legitimized by half the American people. That's why people are hurting. It's not about who won, it's about what that victory says about our culture, about us as Americans. And frankly it's more than a little disgusting to see that pain being trivialized by a group of people who like to pride themselves on taking the moral high ground. By all means, celebrate Trump's victory (or Hillary's defeat, if you prefer), but please be mindful of the heartbreak that millions of Americans are feeling. You don't have to fully understand it (as a straight white male, my capacity for complete understanding is admittedly limited), but respect that the pain is real and that those who are hurting need your Christ-like compassion right now, not your ridicule.

Okay, I still ended up typing quite a bit. Whatever. The article is still very good, and hit uncomfortably close to home for me.

Godless, I love this, thank you!  I think what you wrote is better than the article.  You summed it up very nicely.  

By the way, have you seen this article?

Guest LiterateParakeet

So, it looks like the beginnings of civil war (looks like).  Texas already had a Texit petition (which failed).  California just began a petition with apparently over 1000 signatures in less than two days for the the Calexit (not the first time.  They've tried and failed multiple times).  Austria, Italy, and Czeck Republic have all got petitions to exit the EU over a year before Brexit was successful.

If I were an alarmist/prepper/survivalist (which I am) I'd wonder: Does this sound like 3 Ne 7 to anyone else?

7 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

If I were an alarmist/prepper/survivalist (which I am) I'd wonder: Does this sound like 3 Ne 7 to anyone else?

The government of the land has not been destroyed... yet...  So no

If however you are thinking this could be the build up to that... then sure...  But people have been calling that for a very long time... we need to wait and see

8 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

So, it looks like the beginnings of civil war (looks like).  Texas already had a Texit petition (which failed).  California just began a petition with apparently over 1000 signatures in less than two days for the the Calexit (not the first time.  They've tried and failed multiple times).  Austria, Italy, and Czeck Republic have all got petitions to exit the EU over a year before Brexit was successful.

If ever a state succeeds in voting to cede from the union, then it might sound like 3 Nephi 7.  (But I think they'll find it harder to do it than to vote to do it.)  Meanwhile, just in case, I've got two bottles and 4 samples of ink coming, along with an extra journal.  That should hold me over for a while... ;)

And I'm going in an hour to increase my TP and granola bar stockpiles...

15 minutes ago, zil said:

Meanwhile, just in case, I've got two bottles and 4 samples of ink coming, along with an extra journal.  That should hold me over for a while... ;)

And I'm going in an hour to increase my TP and granola bar stockpiles...

And now for another threadjack... About the ink...:)

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

The government of the land has not been destroyed... yet...  So no

If however you are thinking this could be the build up to that... then sure...  But people have been calling that for a very long time... we need to wait and see

15 minutes ago, zil said:

If ever a state succeeds in voting to cede from the union, then it might sound like 3 Nephi 7.  (But I think they'll find it harder to do it than to vote to do it.) 

yes, secession has always been looming.  But what makes it realistic?  Civil war or public sentiment to just let them go.  Or both.

Well, we have those now at a level that I don't believe we've seen since the Civil War.  Is it upon us?  No.  Are the conditions ripe for it to be soon upon us?  I believe so.

9 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

And now for another threadjack... About the ink...:)

:crackup:Diamine Misty Blue, De Atramentis Pigeon Blue; samples of Caran d'Ache Delicate Green (cause it's gorgeous (on paper - the photo in the link kinda stinks) but a bottle costs way too much money), De Atramentis Document Blue, Pilot Namiki Blue, Platinum Pigmented Blue (I'm looking for a permanent blue ink suitable for use at work, and those three are the best candidates).

/jack

21 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

To me, the hard thing is precisely what @anatess2 is gloating about: 

GLOATING about?

And the clobbering continues...

You don't realize how very close to war you have sent the pacific theater with the Philippines in the balance.  The Philippine government heaved a hugh sigh of relief last Wednesday.  The results of this election cycle is not something you get to GLOAT about like it was some football game...

Edited by anatess2

1 hour ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I'm a bit suspicious that the guy was supposedly knocked cold, woke up covered in that much blood, and stood there unassisted, while his buddies took a picture.

A fair amount of the other stuff sounds a lot like the various false flag garbage we've seen before, with groups faking graffiti, etc. to draw attention to themselves as "victims."

Guest LiterateParakeet
11 minutes ago, NightSG said:

A fair amount of the other stuff sounds a lot like the various false flag garbage we've seen before, with groups faking graffiti, etc. to draw attention to themselves as "victims."

So to be sure I understand you...do you think the violence is only coming from the Hillary supporters? Or are you skeptical of the violence on both sides?

My position is that there is violence on both sides. My other point was to show why so many people are afraid since 11/8.

Edited by LiterateParakeet

12 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

My other point was to show why so many people are afraid since 11/8.

You do understand that Trump won because he tapped into a lot of people's fears and frustrations existing long before 11/8... that no one else was willing to acknowledge, accept or in anyway validate?  He did so and that carried him far beyond what his personal character would have otherwise allowed.

Edited by estradling75

16 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

So to be sure I understand you...do you think the violence is only coming from the Hillary supporters? Or are you skeptical of the violence on both sides?

I'm skeptical of most of it.  Wouldn't be the first time someone got caught faking an "atrocity" to justify their own actions in protest.

OTOH, plenty of actual, verifiable illegal actions are coming from the Hillary side; obstructing roadways, vandalism, general rioting, etc.

Guest LiterateParakeet
12 minutes ago, NightSG said:

I'm skeptical of most of it.  Wouldn't be the first time someone got caught faking an "atrocity" to justify their own actions in protest.

OTOH, plenty of actual, verifiable illegal actions are coming from the Hillary side; obstructing roadways, vandalism, general rioting, etc.

Sounds like you think its pretty one sided. Doesn't that seem a bit biased or naive to you?

Guest MormonGator
29 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

My position is that there is violence on both sides. My other point was to show why so many people are afraid since 11/8.

I agree totally Lit. Violence IS on both sides. The right was sort of threatening it if Trump lost, but in fairness you didn't see any of them protest in 2008. What the radical, extreme left (mostly entitled, bratty kids from trust fund land. I should know, I am a bratty, entitled kid from trust fund land) is doing now by rioting is wrong though. 

36 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I'm not taking sides on the issue of violence.  It's deplorable either way.  But what I'd concur with NightSG about is that this photo of this incident looks like it is not telling the story correctly.

11 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I'm not taking sides on the issue of violence.  It's deplorable either way. 

Indeed...  The reports I see of violence by Trump supporters is 1 off....  Individuals behaving badly.  They need to be dealt with per the individual crimes done

The reports I see of violence by Hilary supporters appears to be organized... part of protest and marches.. Groups behaving badly.  They also need to be dealt with per the individual crimes done.

Of the two I find organized criminal attacks to be worst and more worrysome

Guest LiterateParakeet
26 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I'm not taking sides on the issue of violence.  It's deplorable either way.  But what I'd concur with NightSG about is that this photo of this incident looks like it is not telling the story correctly.

I won't argue with you about that. ;) NT already pointed that out  (it might have been in the other thread). The thing is there are tons more in those links I shared. Pictures and personal accounts---to simply dismiss them all (because they go against one's preconceived ideas) is unrealistic at best.

@MormonGator I agree, I don't  condone rioting. Keep in mind though that many, many things are different now than 2008. I think comparing that election to this one is apples and oranges.

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

@MormonGator I agree, I dot condone rioting. Keep in mind though that many, many things are different now than 2008. 

They are different, but the fundamental nature of politics remains the same. We condemn things the other side does and we justify it when our side does the same. It's human nature. If Trump lost, the left would be saying "Get over it! Move on! How dare you riot!" and the right would be talking about electoral college fraud, etc. That's why we all love Wikileaks-until it releases info about our side. Than it's a threat to democracy. 

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I totally agree. :)

Thanks. The true believers obviously can't grasp it. They are the ones who decry money in politics but when their own candidate has more than everyone else, they are suddenly quiet. I see it all the time in life and in politics. All. The. Time. 

1 hour ago, estradling75 said:

Indeed...  The reports I see of violence by Trump supporters is 1 off....  Individuals behaving badly.  They need to be dealt with per the individual crimes done

The reports I see of violence by Hilary supporters appears to be organized... part of protest and marches.. Groups behaving badly.  They also need to be dealt with per the individual crimes done.

Of the two I find organized criminal attacks to be worst and more worrysome

I view them both as equally worrisome. Swastikas popping up all over the country? I had a professor in college, who arrived one morning to a swastika left outside the building where her office was. She went home and didn't come back for a week. It scared her. People who are the targets of bigotry and racism, take the threats, which are crimes, from some Trump supporters, seriously. 

There is a letter circulating on social media, that a professor of Jewish studies posted.  It is assuring Jews that they don't need to be worried about a newly elected chancellor named Adolf Hitler.  That his campaign rhetoric wasn't serious, or that what his rhetoric described was impossible in the country because of checks and balances that would prevent it.

To some people, Trump is a deja vu, and open hostility towards Jews, Hispanics and Muslims, in the last couple of days, is worrisome.     

6 minutes ago, Blueskye2 said:

I view them both as equally worrisome. Swastikas popping up all over the country? I had a professor in college, who arrived one morning to a swastika left outside the building where her office was. She went home and didn't come back for a week. It scared her. People who are the targets of bigotry and racism, take the threats, which are crimes, from some Trump supporters, seriously. 

There is a letter circulating on social media, that a professor of Jewish studies posted.  It is assuring Jews that they don't need to be worried about a newly elected chancellor named Adolf Hitler.  That his campaign rhetoric wasn't serious, or that what his rhetoric described was impossible in the country because of checks and balances that would prevent it.

To some people, Trump is a deja vu, and open hostility towards Jews, Hispanics and Muslims, in the last couple of days, is worrisome.     

Of course it is worrisome...  but as long as you are willing to marginalize and ignore and delude yourself on the reasons he came to power.. rather the face it openly, honesty and head on... then the only thing you are going to do is continue to be surprised that him (or people like him) win and gain power

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

They are different, but the fundamental nature of politics remains the same. We condemn things the other side does and we justify it when our side does the same.

Aside from Terry Jones, how many Obama effigies were lynched in the US back in '08?

What's the property damage total from Republican "peaceful protests" in the last decade?

3A37429100000578-3922098-image-a-36_1478

Edited by NightSG