I just shook Elder Oaks hand

He came and spoke to my YSA ward and before he spoke he went down the first several rows shaking hands and I got to be one of them. Its special to me to shake the hand of an Apostle and he opened up the floor to Q&A and answered any question asked.

10 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

He came and spoke to my YSA ward and before he spoke he went down the first several rows shaking hands and I got to be one of them. Its special to me to shake the hand of an Apostle and he opened up the floor to Q&A and answered any question asked.

And what question did you ask? :) (You don't have to tell us, I'm partly teasing, partly curious.)  That is kinda cool to have Elder Oaks speaking just to your ward.

I brought up Brother of Jared seeing finger of Christ and asked if modern prophetic visions or how revelation comes to the apostles and he said anyone who has seen Christ face to face wouldnt talk about it it's so sacred. But he said prophets and apostles get positive feelings and prompting that they know are true and that's how our modern leaders get their revelation.

17 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

I brought up Brother of Jared seeing finger of Christ and asked if modern prophetic visions or how revelation comes to the apostles and he said anyone who has seen Christ face to face wouldnt talk about it it's so sacred. But he said prophets and apostles get positive feelings and prompting that they know are true and that's how our modern leaders get their revelation.

Good question & answer. :)

I think we remember the stories in scriptures and from Joseph Smith's life about people seeing Christ and expect everyone who has seen Christ in person to testify publicly to that fact, but we forget that all such experiences are sacred.  And maybe those scriptural stories (before Joseph Smith) weren't publicly known either, until after the prophet's death.  Even in Joseph Smith's day, such news wouldn't travel nearly so fast as today, and he wouldn't have been subjected to modern "journalistic" efforts to grill him on the experience...  Better to trust that the Lord appears to those he chooses to appear to and not worry beyond that.

27 minutes ago, zil said:

Good question & answer. :)

I think we remember the stories in scriptures and from Joseph Smith's life about people seeing Christ and expect everyone who has seen Christ in person to testify publicly to that fact, but we forget that all such experiences are sacred.  And maybe those scriptural stories (before Joseph Smith) weren't publicly known either, until after the prophet's death.  Even in Joseph Smith's day, such news wouldn't travel nearly so fast as today, and he wouldn't have been subjected to modern "journalistic" efforts to grill him on the experience...  Better to trust that the Lord appears to those he chooses to appear to and not worry beyond that.

That's another reason why I don't mind that Joseph Smith took the time to get the First Vision to print. Because it must have been such a sacred experience seeing both the Father and the Son and Angel Moroni 3 years later.

Elder Oak's wife was there answering some of the Q&As as well and it was soooo funny seeing the playful banter going on between Elder Oaks and his wife. It made me see how much they love each other and how truly of a great, nice, funny man Elder Oaks is. The anti mormons try to attack him so much as being mean, angry and uncaring, I testify from first hand experience that I wish I could be around his wisdom and personality every day.

27 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

It made me see how much they love each other and how truly of a great, nice, funny man Elder Oaks is.

In younger days, I didn't much like Elder Oaks because I thought he seemed mean (probably just an unfortunate fluke of bone structure).  Anywho, he no longer seems that way to me* and he's now one of my favorite speakers in GC (though they're all so good that my number of favorites keeps increasing).

*Could be because I've gotten meaner. <_<

37 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Oaks has an energy and enthusiasm that absolutely does not come across in his conference sermons.  I've seen the guy twice in person, and both times I honestly thought he might get up and start doing jumping jacks at any moment to release all that pent-up energy.

True, I saw him in my mission and I was impressed that a man of his age could bound up to the podium three steps at a time. It helps that he's tall, but still!

When I went on my mission (ancient time) there was a mission home in SLC for all the missionaries that lasted one week.  As part of our mission training we would meet in the assembly hall of the Salt Lake Temple with an Apostle.  We were allowed to ask any question while in the temple.  That was a very sacred and special gift for missionaries.  We were also set apart for our missions by an Apostle and parents were invited to attend the blessings.  The blessings took place in the personal offices of the Apostles.  The offices were in the old admin building next to the Lion House. 

Some may feel slighted having Stake Presidents setting apart missionaries now days – but I personally believe that there are many Stake Presidents with all the inspiration and righteousness of the apostles.  Thus it is not that we do not have as good opportunities today as it is that (I believe) there is many (more than ever) righteous Melchizedek Priesthood holders currently.

The Traveler

Guest LiterateParakeet
8 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

That makes sense to me.  I have had spiritual experiences that are too sacred to share, it's not hard to imagine that it would be so much more so for our Leaders. :)  

Guest LiterateParakeet
5 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Oaks has an energy and enthusiasm that absolutely does not come across in his conference sermons.  I've seen the guy twice in person, and both times I honestly thought he might get up and start doing jumping jacks at any moment to release all that pent-up energy.

LOL.  I wonder how many of our Leaders this is true of.  I mean if we could get to know them in a bit more casual, personal way, they would seem different than their General Conference persona...in good ways. I once read a book by Elder Eyring (about college) that really helped me see a different side of him.  It was a good experience for me.  And since then I have wondered. 

7 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

That makes sense to me.  I have had spiritual experiences that are too sacred to share, it's not hard to imagine that it would be so much more so for our Leaders. :)  

As a youth I grew up in a ward with this old guy that often got up in testimony meeting and said what I thought were odd or a little over the top things – almost always with tears.  It was not uncommon for us youthful types to make fun among ourselves of the old guy and his odd testimonies.  He was an old guy that did not have a calling.  When he died I attended his funeral (I even took a date) because Elder Hugh B. Brown was speaking (I also grew up with a personal relationship with Elder Brown).

The funeral was far more spiritual (at least for me) than I expected.  By time Elder Brown spoke the spirit was very strong.  During Brother Brown’s talk he said that this old guy, that for years did not even hold a calling, had a personal relationship with Christ.  As Brother Brown spoke the words the spirit testified to me that the old guy had, on more than one occasion, conversed face to face with Christ.  Never before have I thought it possible that a common member of the Church, without some great and noble calling, could or would ever have such a manifestation and witness of Christ.  Since that experience I have had whispers of the spirit that many other “common” Saints (including sisters) have personal (face to face) relationships with Christ.  On occasion many claim to have personal relationship with Christ but the spirit again whispers this is not the face to face personal relationship.

I do not know or understand why it is that some experience greater spiritual things than others.  It is something that is not included in my personal spiritual gifts so I cannot speak to why beyond this - that to some it is given to see and know and to others it is given to believe spiritual whispers but all are gifts of the spirit.

The Traveler

When I was 19 years old, and preparing to go on a mission, I had the chance to meet Elder Russell M. Nelson in a priesthood meeting. During break time, he stayed there at the podium looking to the audience and everybody was distracted, talking to each other, standing, going to the restroom or to drink some water. Then his eyes crossed with mine, and he smiled. I gathered some courage, stood up and went to talk to him. He kindly greeted me and then I asked him: “Elder Nelson, what council would you give to a 19-year-old young man who is just preparing to go on a mission?” He looked at me with his deep blue eyes and said: “Prepare for the temple and for the covenants you will make there. Prepare to be endowed with power from on high. You will need these spiritual blessings on the mission field”. I thanked him and I gave him a hug. It was a nice experience.

In another situation, during a mission tour, a missionary asked him if he had seen the Savior. H

- “Elder, are you endowed in the temple?”, he asked

- “Yes”, relpied the Elder.

- “ Do you talk about that with others that don’t understand its sacredness?”

- No, of course not.

- So, Elder, about that issue I’m under convenant.

17 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

I brought up Brother of Jared seeing finger of Christ and asked if modern prophetic visions or how revelation comes to the apostles and he said anyone who has seen Christ face to face wouldnt talk about it it's so sacred.

So John Denver would've stayed quiet about chatting with His Dad in the bathroom?  :D

Another person asked him what he likes to do during his free time, and he said he can go fishing 3 times a year, read 2 non LDS books and that's about the most he can do in his free time. Apostles are super busy.

19 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

wow lucky!