Continued Solid Growth

Curious Gary

4 hours ago, Curious Gary said:

I have noticed throughout the years that the Mormons have experienced continued and solid growth. What are some of the things that you think has contributed to your success?

Gary

Is that a fat joke?  (just kidding).

BSF,

Honestly, do you have to ask?  Orthodox Mormons with a positive attitude about our faith are all going to say that it is because we have the truth and people are out there crying out for it.  We've seen the way of the world.  And so few others actually stand for truth and virtue.  They can see it in us.

Here's an Evangelical's positive take on LDS Church growth, and six reasons why it might be so:  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/frenchrevolution/2012/07/10/six-reasons-why-mormons-are-beating-baptists-in-church-growth/

Here are the 6 reasons in a nutshell:  1.  LDS have bigger families.   2.  LDS have lower divorce rates.  3. LDS evangelize.  4. LDS are orthodox (members know and believe what the church teaches).  5. LDS leaders ask a lot of their members.  6.  LDS are less selfish.

Edited by prisonchaplain

Guest MormonGator
19 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

Here's an Evangelical's positive take on LDS Church growth, and six reasons why it might be so:  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/frenchrevolution/2012/07/10/six-reasons-why-mormons-are-beating-baptists-in-church-growth/

Here are the 6 reasons in a nutshell:  1.  LDS have bigger families.   2.  LDS have lower divorce rates.  3. LDS evangelize.  4. LDS are orthodox (members know and believe what the church teaches).  5. LDS leaders ask a lot of their members.  6.  LDS are less selfish.

1 and 2 are good-the church will have better retention for that. I'm curious though as to the convert and retention rate. After all, Europe is getting increasingly secular as are the states. No, not an insult to the church. Just curious. 

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

1 and 2 are good-the church will have better retention for that. I'm curious though as to the convert and retention rate. After all, Europe is getting increasingly secular as are the states. No, not an insult to the church. Just curious. 

I know it's definitely a problem in many missions my relatives have served. Specifically S. America, and a reservation my brother was on. People are nice, and happy to be baptized, and then never go to church again.

11 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

I know it's definitely a problem in many missions my relatives have served. Specifically S. America, and a reservation my brother was on. People are nice, and happy to be baptized, and then never go to church again.

That's not really an LDS specific problem though, specifically in S.America.  People just don't really follow through with commitments (faith or otherwise).

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

Right. People will just stop going to church and become nominally LDS. Most people aren't going to go through the process of being formally removed from the records.

7 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

Interestingly, my fellowship sorta has the opposite problem. People love coming to our churches--even call them their spiritual home.  BUT, only about 2/3rds of the regular attenders will actually become members.

How does one become a member of your fellowship? New baptism? If this is not too delicate a question, how does your fellowship pay the bills?

A personality psychologist told me that there is a sharp divide between the personalities of ministers and members of their congregation. Ministers were loving, open and caring. Not so the members! No wonder there is conflict. In the lds faith, we are all ministers. Sometimes nonnurturant people are put in callings that call for caring. Either personal growth or insanity is the result!

People come to the church, settle in, and announcements are made a few times a year that those who wish to be members should contact the appropriate people.  An application is filled out, including commitment to our beliefs, our community, and yes, to tithing (though accountability is mostly between the individual and God).  Many people give, who are not members. We had one older lady who regularly exercised gifts of the Spirit, gave more than 10%, even taught classes. She was never a member, though.  Her reason was that she did not believe tithing was biblical for New Testament faith.  We figured that one did not have to believe in tithing to get to heaven. :-)

Edited by prisonchaplain

50 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

People come to the church, settle in, and announcements are made a few times a year that those who wish to be members should contact the appropriate people.

"A few times a year?"  Must be a lot different from Texas Pentecostals, with 3-4 altar calls any time they get together...including weddings, funerals, and bringing in a crew to remodel the building.

On 1/3/2017 at 10:14 AM, zil said:

And too many deserts, at 7pm.

I'm not sure what you mean by too many desserts. Can there be such a thing? The very idea of too many desserts is something that I'd like to seriously test out to see if it is really possible. 

For some reason, over a week after my last post, I got three likes today.  Wondering if it's because mine was one of the last ones that wasn't a total :threadhijacked: ... especially...when the rest are weight-loss jokes.  I mean, seriously...in January???  Politically and culturally tone deaf....:roflmbo:

On 1/2/2017 at 3:26 PM, Curious Gary said:

I have noticed throughout the years that the Mormons have experienced continued and solid growth. What are some of the things that you think has contributed to your success?

For your curiosity Gary check out this link for Overall LDS Growth Trend Case Studies:

http://cumorah.com/index.php?target=view_case_studies&story_id=474&cat_id=8

M.

12 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Vort.  Posts like these put you solidly on the top of my Leaderboard (sorry @zil).  It's so lame but man, it just solidly hits my funny bone. :monkey:

Aw, pee-shaw. :blush: Go on with you now. Frankly, that was one of those "low-hanging fruit" moments. (Sure it's lame. Bad, too. Remember, "lame e mal" is a trilingual palindrome.)

@Larry Cotrell mentioned something about me on a "Leaderboard", a feature I have never before noticed. I'm actually quite embarrassed about that -- shows how much time I spend on this (admittedly entertaining and friendly) site that I should be spending elsewhere. I think I will have to correct that, and see if I can't quietly drop off the "Leaderboard".

6 hours ago, Vort said:

Aw, pee-shaw. :blush: Go on with you now. Frankly, that was one of those "low-hanging fruit" moments. (Sure it's lame. Bad, too. Remember, "lame e mal" is a trilingual palindrome.)

@Larry Cotrell mentioned something about me on a "Leaderboard", a feature I have never before noticed. I'm actually quite embarrassed about that -- shows how much time I spend on this (admittedly entertaining and friendly) site that I should be spending elsewhere. I think I will have to correct that, and see if I can't quietly drop off the "Leaderboard".

???? but we will miss you!

Edited by Sunday21

On 1/2/2017 at 3:26 PM, Curious Gary said:

Gary

people being humbled.