Hallway Mormons

ldsguy422

5 hours ago, zil said:

Oh, come on, it sounds really fun, and very organized - kind of like boarding an airplane... :D  You wouldn't have to worry about those oblivious people who block the hallway unnecessarily and ignore the traffic jam they create (even after many "ahem"s and "excuse me"s).

Meanwhile, I'm very fortunate that in my ward (where I've been for 18.5 years1), people are used to teachers who lead discussions rather than lecture.  We have no problem getting a variety of participation.  (Prayers are harder, but not discussion - and we mostly stay on topic.)  Perhaps this has fed into my feeling that your location in the classroom really doesn't matter - your participation does.  (NOTE: There are obvious caveats, if there are three of you in a room that will hold 300, each of you taking a separate corner really isn't going to work that well - but I've never seen anything close to that theoretical arrangement become reality.)

1I'm getting really antsy.  (Prior to this, I'd never lived anywhere longer than 10 years.)  I feel like I need to move, but I don't know where to go.

@zil lives in Enoch! 

5 hours ago, zil said:

Oh, come on, it sounds really fun, and very organized - kind of like boarding an airplane... :D  You wouldn't have to worry about those oblivious people who block the hallway unnecessarily and ignore the traffic jam they create (even after many "ahem"s and "excuse me"s).

Meanwhile, I'm very fortunate that in my ward (where I've been for 18.5 years1), people are used to teachers who lead discussions rather than lecture.  We have no problem getting a variety of participation.  (Prayers are harder, but not discussion - and we mostly stay on topic.)  Perhaps this has fed into my feeling that your location in the classroom really doesn't matter - your participation does.  (NOTE: There are obvious caveats, if there are three of you in a room that will hold 300, each of you taking a separate corner really isn't going to work that well - but I've never seen anything close to that theoretical arrangement become reality.)

1I'm getting really antsy.  (Prior to this, I'd never lived anywhere longer than 10 years.)  I feel like I need to move, but I don't know where to go.

@zil lives in Enoch! Please, please move to my ward! 

30 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

There is one confirmed story of a person being hit by a meteor, back in 1954, and she survived:

Curses!  This is me hoping that the meteor that hits me is large enough to kill at least me instantly!  No wimpy meteors for me.  No sir.

1 minute ago, zil said:

Curses!  This is me hoping that the meteor that hits me is large enough to kill at least me instantly!  No wimpy meteors for me.  No sir.

There are other freaky ways to perish from sitting in the wrong place at Church.

For example, a sinkhole could open up and you could fall to your doom!

Here in Houston, that really IS becoming kind of a thing, random sinkholes opening up everywhere . . . 

Guest MormonGator
Just now, zil said:

Sorry, but no way I'm moving to Canada.  

That's good, because under Trudeau it's become a train wreck. Love you @Sunday21, but...

1 minute ago, zil said:

I'd go somewhere warm.

:: ahem :: The compound is in FLORIDA. How much more warm can it get?! 

4 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

For example, a sinkhole could open up and you could fall to your doom!

Here in Houston, that really IS becoming kind of a thing, random sinkholes opening up everywhere . . .

See, the problem with moving to Houston, or Florida, is that they're far too close to the ocean and I'd be more likely to have to deal with flooding / hurricane damage than with the nice worry-free instant death of a meteorite squashing me.  And I'm slightly worried that a sink hole would not be nearly so instantaneous.  I mean, if I have to die (which is my most probable exit from mortality), I'd like it to be fast.

4 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

:: ahem :: The compound is in FLORIDA. How much more warm can it get?! 

So, sorry dude, as much as I'd like to live on a boat with a pet alligator - no wait, that was a tv show... - er, on a compound with my very own moat full of alligators (right, back in the correct universe now), I'm thinking it's just too risky to lead to a slow, painful, possibly non-lethal existence.

Meanwhile, I did two seconds of research on Wikipedia (thus making me an expert now) and it turns out there is no nice, concentrated "meteor zone" on the planet - no equivalent to "tornado alley".  Sigh.  But it does appear the US gets more meteors than everyone else1, so I guess I'm staying here (India appears to be the second most popular meteor target).

1I think it's possible the US government claims more than their fair share, because, you know, we're America and we've got more of everything here...

5 hours ago, Traveler said:

Think of a request to move up in a class room as similar (less than as hard) to board the Ark with Noah and many fearful animals.

You're asking us to think about a teacher's request to move up in a classroom, as something in the same league as a request to board Noah's ark?  As in, if we do not heed the call we shall be destroyed?

Umm... ok...

[think think think]

Well, I've thought about it.  Honestly, the result surprised me.  "Noah was called by God to do that stuff, and so was the teacher."   I don't get the 'shall be destroyed' part of the thing, but I suppose this exercise did move me a bit closer to respecting the teacher's request. 

10 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

You're asking us to think about a teacher's request to move up in a classroom, as something in the same league as a request to board Noah's ark?  As in, if we do not heed the call we shall be destroyed?

Umm... ok...

[think think think]

Well, I've thought about it.  Honestly, the result surprised me.  "Noah was called by God to do that stuff, and so was the teacher."   I don't get the 'shall be destroyed' part of the thing, but I suppose this exercise did move me a bit closer to respecting the teacher's request. 

Perhaps I am extream but I wonder why we have teachers at church if we honestly do not think they can help us in any way with advice that will improve something in our lives.  I honestly  believe there are blessing for the Latter-day Saints in following the advice of those G-d has called specifically to teach us.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

Guest MormonGator
39 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Perhaps I am extream but I wonder why we have teachers at church if we honestly do not think they can help us in any way with advice that will improve something in our lives.  I honestly  believe there are blessing for the Latter-day Saints in following the advice of those G-d has called specifically to teach us.

The Traveler

@Traveler, you know that I respect you-and I really do, it's not just lip service-but I think you are being "penny wise and dollar foolish" here. I'm not sure that  sitting in the back or not participating that much is disrespectful. It might just be being shy, being laid back, or flat out not being  comfortable. The reality is that we need to be careful if we just keep harping on people about the little things, and where you sit in classes is certainly a little thing. 

Whenever I teach a combined Priesthood class with Elders and High Priests (30-50 present in the Chapel), I like to encourage those to sit closer. I'm not going to ask more than once, of course. No need to be petty. I just think it's easier to have a discussion this way. It's easier for those present to hear me if there's close proximity; it's also easier for those who make comments to be heard clearly. I know that when I'm not teaching, I feel more comfortable participating if the space between me and the teacher is reasonably close. I think it helps facilitate an active, vibrant discussion. Certainly there are more important issues going on in Church, but if I can create a better learning atmosphere for a class, then I will gladly do so. 

Guest MormonGator
18 minutes ago, ldsguy422 said:

Whenever I teach a combined Priesthood class with Elders and High Priests (30-50 present in the Chapel), I like to encourage those to sit closer. I'm not going to ask more than once, of course. No need to be petty. I just think it's easier to have a discussion this way. It's easier for those present to hear me if there's close proximity; it's also easier for those who make comments to be heard clearly. I

Those are great points my friend!

Yeesh.  Flashback to when I taught Gospel Essentials.  In attendance:
- A guy in the middle of a nasty divorce, including abuse allegations and custody battles
- A very, very single guy in his late 30's
- A sarcastic 18 yr old girl with one foot out of the church, there because mom still was able to force her to go
- A recent convert with a loud mouth and a ton of misinformation about our faith.

The lesson, of course, was The Family can be Eternal.  I had to teach these folks that we're all supposed to get married in the temple and have a perfect family, without insulting the single, destroying the guy getting the divorce, being the last straw for the young woman, or letting the loud convert take us all into the weeds.  I would have gladly given my right arm to swap with the Gospel Principles teacher and hide in front of 30+ people.  

The Lord seemed to let me take this without much in the way of prompting or guidance.  I think I did ok.  We talked about the "stereotypical perfect mormon family", and griped for a while about how it doesn't look even remotely like any of our situations.  Then we talked about why we teach that picture, if it's not something that seems to be in the cards for many of us.  Then, with the understanding that "try your best" doesn't mean "succeed or go to hell", we went through the lesson as outlined.  More than one of us had the puffy eyes before it was over. 

That was sort of my mount everest of teaching.  I think we all survived.  My first-and-foremost, above-all-else consideration, was love for each of these people, and as much empathy as I could summon.  I don't remember, or care, where they sat.

Edited by NeuroTypical

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:49 AM, MormonGator said:

@Traveler, you know that I respect you-and I really do, it's not just lip service-but I think you are being "penny wise and dollar foolish" here. I'm not sure that  sitting in the back or not participating that much is disrespectful. It might just be being shy, being laid back, or flat out not being  comfortable. The reality is that we need to be careful if we just keep harping on people about the little things, and where you sit in classes is certainly a little thing. 

I also respect you – more than you may think.  I have thought about contacting you sometime when I am in Florida – which does not happen often because I do not do well in heat and humidity.   My best friend (former bishop) sits in the back but it has nothing to do with being shy or anything you have mentioned – so does or stake patriarch (who lives in our ward and is also a close friend).   Both my wife and I used to sit in the back (again for reasons never discussed) but we discovered long ago that our children got more out of church services the closer we sat to the front.  We both also sing in the choir and our children behaved better when we left them to sing and they were close enough that we could make eye contact.  I could continue with the reasons but I am not trying to deal with where anyone sits or why – that simply does not concern me – of course the much greater concern is that they are there.

What concerns me is when the Saints of G-d are asked to do something by those in authority (especially something they are easily capable of doing) and they flatly refuse and then make excuses or otherwise excuse their unsupportive behavior as meaningless and trivial.   But – if you do not mind we saying so – I am most concerned when those refusing to cooperate also express difficulty connecting with the spirit accompanied with feelings of depression and discouragement.  I certainly do not want to contribute to their feelings of such things but sometimes when we feel guilty it is because our consciences are a spiritual witness to make a change for the better.  

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator
29 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I also respect you – more than you may think.  I have thought about contacting you sometime when I am in Florida – which does not happen often because I do not do well in heat and humidity.   My best friend (former bishop) sits in the back but it has nothing to do with being shy or anything you have mentioned – so does or stake patriarch (who lives in our ward and is also a close friend).   Both my wife and I used to sit in the back (again for reasons never discussed) but we discovered long ago that our children got more out of church services the closer we sat to the front.  We both also sing in the choir and our children behaved better when we left them to sing and they were close enough that we could make eye contact.  I could continue with the reasons but I am not trying to deal with where anyone sits or why – that simply does not concern me – of course the much greater concern is that they are there.

What concerns me is when the Saints of G-d are asked to do something by those in authority (especially something they are easily capable of doing) and they flatly refuse and then make excuses or otherwise excuse their unsupportive behavior as meaningless and trivial.   But – if you do not mind we saying so – I am most concerned when those refusing to cooperate also express difficulty connecting with the spirit accompanied with feelings of depression and discouragement.  I certainly do not want to contribute to their feelings of such things but sometimes when we feel guilty it is because our consciences are a spiritual witness to make a change for the better.  

The Traveler

Your concerns are totally legit, and you make some great points, as you always do. 

And LG and I already had the pleasure of meeting someone from on here in Tampa. If you ever in my area, please let me know! 

• 2 weeks later...

It might be a waste from your perspective, but you aren’t them. Instead of assuming they are just roaming and not being spiritually fed, you Could talk to them. There are many ways to be spiritually fed.

My foow yo question Does them roaming the halls have anything to do with your personal Spirituality? Why are you worried about it being a waste to them? Why worry about it at all? It could be a door to grow your own love by talking to them.

Im writing from a very objective mind and not attacking you. I wish he internet could convey my tone of voice haha