floridaman1

Partial Believers place

Recommended Posts

What of people that believe there is some truth to the BOM and that some of the LDS doctrines have merit, but also cannot jump full in? How would they fit in, or can they ever? I would currently fit into this category as I believe there is something to the BOM and that Joseph Smith had a sincere intention. The issues lie in that simply turning my back on traditional Christian Doctrine and beliefs is incredibly difficult, simply "jumping all in" is not a step I can take at this time. Simply believing in a Prophet is difficult as I do not come from a tradition that believes in them. Believing that God gave JS the initial vision and then the BOM is fairly easy, but the next steps further into the WoW, D&C, etc. become exceedingly more difficult. 

I truly am sincere in these questions, if this is taken as being too far or trollish please know that is not my intention, I am searching and have a desire to learn. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, floridaman1 said:

What of people that believe there is some truth to the BOM and that some of the LDS doctrines have merit, but also cannot jump full in? How would they fit in, or can they ever? I would currently fit into this category as I believe there is something to the BOM and that Joseph Smith had a sincere intention. The issues lie in that simply turning my back on traditional Christian Doctrine and beliefs is incredibly difficult, simply "jumping all in" is not a step I can take at this time. Simply believing in a Prophet is difficult as I do not come from a tradition that believes in them. Believing that God gave JS the initial vision and then the BOM is fairly easy, but the next steps further into the WoW, D&C, etc. become exceedingly more difficult. 

I truly am sincere in these questions, if this is taken as being too far or trollish please know that is not my intention, I am searching and have a desire to learn. 

 

Welcome, Floridaman.

I guess my question is, what does “fit in” mean to you?

Obviously anyone can start attending an LDS Church and become part of the community of believers there; and you will be very much welcomed and could quickly become an integral part of the social fabric of your congregation. 

That being said:  the teaching you will hear during Sunday sermons and classes will back the LDS orthodoxy.  Participation in LDS worship rituals will to varying degrees (depending on the ritual) be restricted to those who unreservedly endorse and live a sort of lowest-common-denominator subset of the Church’s teachings.  So that may create some degree of tension.  


Personally, I’d encourage you to come on in.  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple of thoughts here— (the “you” here is generic)

Are you welcome?  Of course, everyone is welcome.  Welcome to come to your local congregation (aka ward) for everything.  Also welcome to chat about the light and goodness you do have.  A seedling of a testimony is indeed beautiful.

Though seeding are indeed meant to grow, not stay seedlings forever.  Sometimes that growth can be scary or involve a leap of faith – in fact, most times it does.  Growth is seldom comfortable.   We need to give a seedling light and water, encouraging it’s growth.  We don’t want to give it a weedwhacker because we’re scared of it, or be any of those other reasons seeds die in the Parable of the Sower.

All in all, it reminds me of a saying by Elder Holland: “Come as you are, but don’t expect to stay that way”.  It’s from one of my all time favorite General Conference talks:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2017/04/songs-sung-and-unsung?lang=eng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, floridaman1 said:

What of people that believe there is some truth to the BOM and that some of the LDS doctrines have merit, but also cannot jump full in? How would they fit in, or can they ever? I would currently fit into this category as I believe there is something to the BOM and that Joseph Smith had a sincere intention. The issues lie in that simply turning my back on traditional Christian Doctrine and beliefs is incredibly difficult, simply "jumping all in" is not a step I can take at this time. Simply believing in a Prophet is difficult as I do not come from a tradition that believes in them. Believing that God gave JS the initial vision and then the BOM is fairly easy, but the next steps further into the WoW, D&C, etc. become exceedingly more difficult. 

I truly am sincere in these questions, if this is taken as being too far or trollish please know that is not my intention, I am searching and have a desire to learn. 

 

You sound like me, several years ago.  I have a HUGE thread in this group about it.  Study and prayer helped me through, but to answer your question:  there is really a place for anyone here, providing they don't actively speak out against the Church and Prophet.  If they have a sincere desire to learn, regardless whether or not they agree, there is a seat for you.  Eventually, most of it made sense to me.  Some of it still doesn't, but I believe it will in time.  

Whether I "agree" with everything or not, my life has been blessed through making and keeping covenants, even the ones I don't truly understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Welcome, Floridaman.

I guess my question is, what does “fit in” mean to you?

 

Mostly to not be ostracized or pushed too fast in one way or the other. Sometimes in other churches they tend to be over the top with trying to make you "one of us" that they go too far, and that ends up making me feel rushed or pushed. But also being able to attend services without actively pushing against the standards or protocol - that is not my intention. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

I have a couple of thoughts here— (the “you” here is generic)

Are you welcome?  Of course, everyone is welcome.  Welcome to come to your local congregation (aka ward) for everything.  Also welcome to chat about the light and goodness you do have.  A seedling of a testimony is indeed beautiful.

Though seeding are indeed meant to grow, not stay seedlings forever.  Sometimes that growth can be scary or involve a leap of faith – in fact, most times it does.  Growth is seldom comfortable.   We need to give a seedling light and water, encouraging it’s growth.  We don’t want to give it a weedwhacker because we’re scared of it, or be any of those other reasons seeds die in the Parable of the Sower.

All in all, it reminds me of a saying by Elder Holland: “Come as you are, but don’t expect to stay that way”.  It’s from one of my all time favorite General Conference talks:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2017/04/songs-sung-and-unsung?lang=eng

Thank you, this makes sense.  :) I will listen to the talk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Grunt said:

You sound like me, several years ago.  I have a HUGE thread in this group about it.  Study and prayer helped me through, but to answer your question:  there is really a place for anyone here, providing they don't actively speak out against the Church and Prophet.  If they have a sincere desire to learn, regardless whether or not they agree, there is a seat for you.  Eventually, most of it made sense to me.  Some of it still doesn't, but I believe it will in time.  

Whether I "agree" with everything or not, my life has been blessed through making and keeping covenants, even the ones I don't truly understand.

I have actually read a lot of your thread, though not all of it. Perhaps I will start at the beginning and go through it again. Thank you for the insight. I would never actively speak out against the church or prophet, that is not my intention or place, I try to respect people that I do not agree with, so that would not be something I would do :)  But I thank you for that bit of advice, I can see how some people would not be able to control themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, floridaman1 said:

Mostly to not be ostracized or pushed too fast in one way or the other. Sometimes in other churches they tend to be over the top with trying to make you "one of us" that they go too far, and that ends up making me feel rushed or pushed. But also being able to attend services without actively pushing against the standards or protocol - that is not my intention. 

Like any large group we have a variety of personality types...  Which includes some pushy people and some standoffish people.  There is not much we can do if you encounter one of those, except enboolden you to say No to the overly pushy.

No is a very powerful word, and it should be respected.  If someone does not then that is a personal failing. 

As for the standoffish and others you might encounter...  Well we are a hospital for sinners run by sinners.  So you will find people in vary states as they are trying to progress and become what God would have them be.  So hopefully you can forgive and empathize when you see someone struggling even when you do not like how it impacts you personally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

Like any large group we have a variety of personality types...  Which includes some pushy people and some standoffish people.  There is not much we can do if you encounter one of those, except enboolden you to say No to the overly pushy.

No is a very powerful word, and it should be respected.  If someone does not then that is a personal failing. 

As for the standoffish and others you might encounter...  Well we are a hospital for sinners run by sinners.  So you will find people in vary states as they are trying to progress and become what God would have them be.  So hopefully you can forgive and empathize when you see someone struggling even when you do not like how it impacts you personally

^ Fantastically said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, floridaman1 said:

Mostly to not be ostracized or pushed too fast in one way or the other. Sometimes in other churches they tend to be over the top with trying to make you "one of us" that they go too far, and that ends up making me feel rushed or pushed. But also being able to attend services without actively pushing against the standards or protocol - that is not my intention. 

You are in complete control of this.  Other people can try to push you hard, as is their personality, but it's completely in your control to kindly tell them to stop pushing and avoid them if they persist.  They can try to rush you but it is also completely within your control not to be rushed.  The good thing about attending church services and activities is that most everybody there is just trying to live their own lives according to their own understanding of what is good so that when you tell them in no uncertain terms it is not good for you or you're not ready, they usually listen.

The thing is - the best place for you to learn more about the restored gospel and how it is applied in daily life is by attending church services and activities.  So, if you are sincere in your desire to learn more, then it's the perfect time to practice some self-confidence and assertiveness while you learn at your own pace.  Missionaries will try to bring you to baptism but they can't force you to it so just tell them you're not ready and you'll tell them when you are so they won't have to ask again.

Hope that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, floridaman1 said:

@anatess2 and @estradling75, thank you - that makes sense. I, by nature, am not really confrontational, so it gets to me when people push too much. However, I understand that not everyone is that way. I will just have to take my own time on this and keep moving forward. 

That's best.  Most members will be very respectful of that.  They were with me.   However,  you have to understand that the missionaries "job" is to lead people to Christ through baptism.  You may get the current pair to lay off, but 6 weeks later if they swap out you'll have a new pair.  It didn't bother me and I was pretty firm with them, but I have no problem with confrontation.  I can see how this could be an issue for some.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2020 at 8:14 AM, floridaman1 said:

What of people that believe there is some truth to the BOM and that some of the LDS doctrines have merit, but also cannot jump full in? How would they fit in, or can they ever? I would currently fit into this category as I believe there is something to the BOM and that Joseph Smith had a sincere intention. The issues lie in that simply turning my back on traditional Christian Doctrine and beliefs is incredibly difficult, simply "jumping all in" is not a step I can take at this time. Simply believing in a Prophet is difficult as I do not come from a tradition that believes in them. Believing that God gave JS the initial vision and then the BOM is fairly easy, but the next steps further into the WoW, D&C, etc. become exceedingly more difficult. 

I truly am sincere in these questions, if this is taken as being too far or trollish please know that is not my intention, I am searching and have a desire to learn. 

 

I suggest you live as best you can according to what you know and believe, while continuing to seek for more light and knowledge. As you live according to the light that has been given to you, God will give you more, and you will soon have enough light to see what your next step should be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now