James Webb Space Telescope

Traveler

Yesterday the multi billion dollar international Space Telescope (named James Webb) turned on its cameras for the first time in space.  Don't hold your breath for pictures.  The initial pictures are all intended to align the telescope disks.  After words it will be weeks (perhaps months?) before the telescope is ready to take deep infrared pictures of our universe - so far away and so long ago that up to now could never have been seen.  Because the universe is expanding there is a horizon threshold that beyond which all light reaching us is stretched into and beyond the infrared spectrum.   The problem with infrared light is that any heat source near the telescope will interfere with the image.   So this telescope is placed in deep space a million miles from earth and in earth's shadow blocking the sun.   But not completely so that the telescope will have some ongoing power source.

Anyone care to take a guess as to what we will fine?

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

It seems to me that every time we step forward and discover something not seen before that we learn that our universe (space) is much more dynamic and complex that we previously imagined.   I think we will discover that the early universe was much more ordered and developed than we thought was possible. 

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

I think eventually we will find that the universe is even older than what they've projected.

Evolution used to be thought to have only taken a few thousand years...now we look at it over the course of millions of years. 

I think that we currently see the universe as being Billions of years old, but I think eventually we may find it is trillions if not older than that.

We'd have to be able to look out Billions of years away and see that it is still not far enough to determine something like that.

I'm not sure if the telescope will allow us to do that or not.

I've been watching the launch and deployment closely.  I have a telescope with an 18" primary mirror and It takes me about 3-5 minutes to collimate the mirrors.  JWST will take 3-5 more months to cool off and collimate.  

https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html

The above is the website that I have been following.  

I bet it finds another 50K exoplanets, and it might be able to see if planets have an atmosphere.

https://manyworlds.space/2021/12/17/what-the-james-webb-space-telescope-can-do-for-exoplanet-science-and-what-it-cannot-so/

What's exciting are the things that we will discover that no one has even imagined yet.  

21 minutes ago, mikbone said:

I've been watching the launch and deployment closely.  I have a telescope with an 18" primary mirror and It takes me about 3-5 minutes to collimate the mirrors.  JWST will take 3-5 more months to cool off and collimate.  

https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html

The above is the website that I have been following.  

I bet it finds another 50K exoplanets, and it might be able to see if planets have an atmosphere.

https://manyworlds.space/2021/12/17/what-the-james-webb-space-telescope-can-do-for-exoplanet-science-and-what-it-cannot-so/

What's exciting are the things that we will discover that no one has even imagined yet.  

I wonder if we will discover more evidence that unintelligent (spontaneously random) evolution is impossible or at least highly unlikely and most difficult to justify within the time frame.

The Traveler

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2022 at 9:06 AM, Traveler said:

I wonder if we will discover more evidence that unintelligent (spontaneously random) evolution is impossible or at least highly unlikely and most difficult to justify within the time frame.

The Traveler

Tornadoes can go through a landfill and eventually assemble 747 jets complete with filling up the fuel tanks.  Order comes from chaos.  I do not believe it.

On 2/14/2022 at 9:58 AM, Still_Small_Voice said:

Tornadoes can go through a landfill and eventually assemble 747 jets complete with filling up the fuel tanks.  Order comes from chaos.  I do not believe it.

The only way I believe we can justify chaos (random acts) is when intelligence has no input.  I often use this remark with my children in reference to their bedroom.   I am quite sure the opposite is true - where there is order - the cause is intelligence.   This is my main challenge to anthesis - that intelligence cannot exist unless intelligence caused it.

The Traveler  

• 1 year later...

Well it has been a year and the James Webb telescope is now in full operation.   Perhaps the first thing we have learned from the JWT is that the theory of the Big Bang Theory really has no possible application.   All the calculations and predictions coming out of the Big Bang Theory are now completely shattered.   Who would have thought.  There have always been objections to the BBT but it stood only because there was nothing else.

There is another problem (my thinking) that no one seems to be addressing.  Regardless of which direction we look back in time we see exactly the same thing.  If we think of dimensional space then it we look in one direction going back 13 billion years and then in the opposite direction 13 billion years – what we see ought to be separated by 26 billion years – unless our dimensional space folds back on its self.  This is somewhat in support of the expansion theory that our universe is 4 dimensional expanding sphere.

The problem with the expanding universe theory is that the father away something is, the faster it has to be moving away from the observer.   @JohnsonJones touched on the idea that our universe may be bigger and older than imagined.  This is very problematic because for this to be true then our expanding universe has to be such a universe of paradox that would have to have broken its own speed limit (which is the speed of light).

Also it has not been admitted yet but we are also going to have to admit that time and understanding time is much more of a conundrum than current theories can account for.  Hawkins purported the possibility of changing something in past is like exceeding the speed of light – something that cannot happen.  So the question is why?  This means that something in the future cannot be changed only things in the present.  JWT looks to be pocking holes in our theories of time.

I do not know what interest there is in discussing ideas and how all this could affect our thinking of G-d and the role of intelligence in the universe.  This fascinates me – but most LDS (other than LDS scientist and engineers) do not seem interested.  And it looks like this applies to this forum as well.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler