Inward v. Outward Focus

prisonchaplain

A common refrain in Evangelical circles is that we must get outside the church walls. The idea is that we spend too much time inside our church walls blessing ourselves and we do precious little out in our communities--presumably where God would having us being his salt and light. Some of us (mostly older folks, I'm afraid) are pushing back against this idea (complaint) because: 1. We do plenty that blesses 'the world' (prison ministry, homeless ministry, crisis response ministry, volunteering (mostly individual), etc.). 2. We only spend 2-3 hours per week in church, and already represent the faith the rest of the time. We probably need to spend more time inside the walls and our teachers need to be less afraid of delivering the meat of the word (v. always bringing lite, easy instruction). 

Do the same conversations take place among saints? Does the system of volunteer callings keep this balance from becoming an issue?

Edited by prisonchaplain

I know when it comes to member missionary work, we are encouraged to get outside of our comfort zone.  To not be afraid to look for opportunities to share the gospel among people we might meet.  Basically I think we need to get out of our comfort zone a bit.  

A common refrain is to be in the world but not of the world.

I suspect that as the division between right and wrong widens, there may be more of an emphasis in seeking shelter within the walls of the church. However, interestingly, at this time, the emphasis seems to be shifting more towards substituting our homes for church, and strenghtening the walls of our homes against outside influences, with an decreased emphasis on church attendance and involvement.  

Amongst the Saints there is a much greater focus on ministering to each other than on ministering to the rest of the world. Both are encouraged and practiced, but my observation is that the greater emphasis is on ministering to each other. 

3 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

A common refrain in Evangelical circles is that we must get outside the church walls. The idea is that we spend too much time inside our church walls blessing ourselves and we do precious little out in our communities--presumably where God would having us being his salt and light. Some of us (mostly older folks, I'm afraid) are pushing back against this idea (complaint) because: 1. We do plenty that blesses 'the world' (prison ministry, homeless ministry, crisis response ministry, volunteering (mostly individual), etc.). 2. We only spend 2-3 hours per week in church, and already represent the faith the rest of the time. We probably need to spend more time inside the walls and our teachers need to be less afraid of delivering the meat of the word (v. always bringing lite, easy instruction). 

Do the same conversations take place among saints? Does the system of volunteer callings keep this balance from becoming an issue?

Yes, I think the same conversations are had quite often (in my experience).  The problem we have nowadays is that so many places make it socially unacceptable to bring up religion in polite conversation.  

I found it rather refreshing about a month ago I visited an office in Louisiana.  We were just talking about stuff we did the previous weekend.  I brought up the fact that I was at church and did such and so.  One of the guys asked me which church I go to.  I told him.  He was surprised. And we continued our conversation.  It was no big deal.

16 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

Greetings @prisonchaplain  – it is good to have you posting.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints operates a little differently than other religious organizations.  Here we volunteer as part of our covenant of baptism and Church membership, but we have no definitive say as to where or how we are “Called” to serve beyond the accepting or not accepting of a calling that come from our priesthood governing body.  This willingness to serve as called transcends all notions of service.  One may be called to teach a class within the Church building’s walls or visit those convicted in prisons or as a fulltime missionary or in leadership positions within the Church or whatever the L-rd directs through the order of his priesthood. 

All “worthy” (mentally and spiritually) males are called to the priesthood and as such are called to serve all (both Church members and non-members) in the same manner as the first 12 Apostles were called to bless (heal) those in need, whenever and wherever they go and as the spirit directs.   I would note that many (including myself) often lack the faith needed as did the Apostles in the beginnings of their callings.  I would also add that all women receive a similar call as they complete their temple worship covenants.

We are constantly reminded in our ward “Sacrament Meeting” covenant each week during our worship service that we are called to comfort those in need of comfort (regardless of membership standing) and to morn with those that morn (again regardless of membership standing).  Also, we are reminded in our covenant (each week) to remember Jesus Christ and to take upon us his name during the week as we walk among our fellow men.  This has always been an integral part of our worship since the Church was restored on April 6th, 1830, and has never changed – though the callings to serve have structurally changed to meet the needs most prevalent at the time and place.

The Traveler

22 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/bofm/alma/17?lang=eng

Every so often, some right-leaning culture warrior will use Twitter or another social media platform to go off on a tirade about how some form of popular entertainment they don't understand, like video games or anime, is something that only children should be engaged with and that if anyone who isn't a child is engaging with it then it's a sign that the person is somehow defective or even a "failure" at life. 

People will come out in numbers - myself included - to try and explain that such blanket generalizations only drive people away and are a big part of *why* the older generation is in danger of "losing" the culture war. Instead, it's better to find ways to embrace these things and use them to encourage learning and model better behaviors. 

For example, in the early 1980s, Pat Robertson understood that anime was huge in Japan, and so got with prominent animation studio Tatsunoko Pro to produce Superbook, an anime series that was meant to teach the Bible: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbook_(1981_TV_series) . Superbook became so popular in Japan that it started to filter out to the rest of the world along with many late 1970s / early 1980s titles, eventually coming back to the United States. 

Yet another round of hand-wringing and whatnot happened on Twitter this past weekend, which brought to mind Alma chapter 17. In it, Ammon, a missionary, decides to earn the trust of the people by living and working among them instead of the usual method of fire & brimstone ministry. He finds work tending the flocks that belong to a local ruling figure, and after defeating a group of rustlers he's earned so much respect that people are now willing to listen to him when he speaks. 

7 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/bofm/alma/17?lang=eng

Every so often, some right-leaning culture warrior will use Twitter or another social media platform to go off on a tirade about how some form of popular entertainment they don't understand, like video games or anime, is something that only children should be engaged with and that if anyone who isn't a child is engaging with it then it's a sign that the person is somehow defective or even a "failure" at life. 

People will come out in numbers - myself included - to try and explain that such blanket generalizations only drive people away and are a big part of *why* the older generation is in danger of "losing" the culture war. Instead, it's better to find ways to embrace these things and use them to encourage learning and model better behaviors. 

I’d give this one ten “loves” if I could.

The war on video games is over. Video games won. Now, that minority that you described absolutely exists but in a vastly smaller number. Even with the genders. Men used to outnumber women in gaming but the gap has gotten much much smaller. 

12 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

I’d give this one ten “loves” if I could.

The war on video games is over. Video games won. Now, that minority that you described absolutely exists but in a vastly smaller number. Even with the genders. Men used to outnumber women in gaming but the gap has gotten much much smaller. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Adventures

At least as far back as 1991, we had groups trying to use video games to preach the gospel. Sadly, this entry here, "Bible Adventures", is remembered for being generally awful due to how repetitive and boring the mini-games were. 

Or we had groups like Realbuzz Studios that tried to produce manga-style comic books and graphic novels that were intended to convey Christian themes. 

More gets done when people try to use what's out there to encourage and energize. 

I mean, I'm an 80s child, and I learned a *lot* of morals and character from shows like G. I. Joe. So no, the material doesn't even need to be religious. 

7 hours ago, Traveler said:

Greetings @prisonchaplain  – it is good to have you posting. ...

We are constantly reminded in our ward “Sacrament Meeting” covenant each week during our worship service that we are called to comfort those in need of comfort (regardless of membership standing) and to morn with those that morn (again regardless of membership standing).  Also, we are reminded in our covenant (each week) to remember Jesus Christ and to take upon us his name during the week as we walk among our fellow men.  This has always been an integral part of our worship since the Church was restored on April 6th, 1830, and has never changed – though the callings to serve have structurally changed to meet the needs most prevalent at the time and place.

Just as many outside of liturgical churches do not understand, and often denigrate the alleged "vain repetiions," so many belittle the mandatory volunteer work in your community. What you describe here is beautiful and to be lauded. 

On 7/23/2023 at 7:04 PM, prisonchaplain said:

On an individual level, there’s a strong ethic that we should be “anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of [our] own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness” (D&C 58:27).  And there’s always a tension generally about how we as Saints can make sure that we are doing, not merely “good” things, but the best/most effective things we could be doing given our limited time and resources.  (Apostle Dallin Oaks gave a rather memorable sermon about this sometime back, entitled “Good, Better, Best”.)

But on a collective/organizational level, the laity mostly trusts that the leadership knows what it’s doing and is doing it for a good reason; so (aside from a cadre of internet-based professional complainers) it’s fairly rare for congregations to form large groundswells of people saying “why aren’t we doing more of x?”.