116 Pages ... Additional Context

1 hour ago, CV75 said:

Will a version of this be published in the Liahona?

Only if dude writes up an article with his sources and submits it and the editors decide to use it, or someone who works on the Liahona staff gets wind of it and decide to commission an article.  (At least, this is my assumption.)

Edited by zil2

I like his insight and it does bring some clarity but I don't completely agree with his conclusion. Saying that God said No, No, and then Yes might be oversimplifying it but that is in essence what He said, conditional though it may have been. And yes, God will eventually give us what we want, even contrary to His will if we persist long enough. Just recently I had felt to take a certain action that I kept finding excuses not to, when in one of my doubting prayers the Spirit in essence said "Then don't do it." Sensing the Lord growing weary with me I quickly humbled myself and acted on the original prompting. In both instances the Lord's "Yes" isn't signifying approval of the act (or in my case lack of action) but rather the Lord not willing to subvert agency by applying too much pressure. If we want to do things our way He won't stand in the way but will be waiting for us on the other end of those poor choices to encourage us back onto the right path.

• 3 weeks later...

I read Numbers 21 this morning and noted some similarities between Joseph Smith's multiple inquiries of the Lord on behalf of a friend and Balaam's several inquiries to the Lord on behalf of Balak. That incident might provide further context for interpreting/understanding what happened with Joseph and Martin. 

This is the type of question, at least to me, that doesn't change the fact that God said no, and then said yes ( @laronius beat me to it). This happened also in the Old Testament when the children of Israel asked for a King. The prophet and God said no, but after time God finally said give them what they want with further light and knowledge as to what would happen, and it happened.

The original version still answers the questions just fine.