Deseretdog

Thank you all. I'm hoping to get a little theological insight and exposure to some different views. So far everything that I have researched resonates with me much more than other denominations but my more importantly, my most powerful experience with feeling the spirit came when I was listening to a sermon? at General conference I believe by president? Nelson.

16 hours ago, Deseretdog said:

my most powerful experience with feeling the spirit came when I was listening to a sermon? at General conference I believe by president? Nelson.

Hold on to that! :)  Even spiritual experiences can fade and be forgotten, even dismissed, if we don't act on them or do something with them in a timely manner.  Really glad you're here.

And yes, we refer to him as President Nelson.  And we call them "talks" rather than "sermons", but everyone will know what you mean. :)

46 minutes ago, Deseretdog said:

Thanks zil2!   I'm starting gospel principles from the library app today. 

:) Love it!  I hope that if you're not working through it with missionaries or friends, you'll let us join you.  It's been a long time since I read that manual (at some point, they seem to have switched to having missionaries teach the corresponding class, and teaching that class was when I read the manual), but I remember loving the class and manual, so I'd be happy to read and answer questions if you have them, or just discuss thoughts and ideas that come up as you read.

This is a good forum for any "Mormons seem weird" topics you may have as well.   It's possible that your spiritual experiences may lead you to conclude that the CoJCoLDS is Christ's church, and where you should be.  If that's the result, there can be a little culture shock, because our church is more than a church, it's a lifestyle.  And there are some interesting cultural oddities that come with the lifestyle.  Some we can explain doctrinally, others we tend to be embarrassed by. :D

5 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

This is a good forum for any "Mormons seem weird" topics you may have as well.   It's possible that your spiritual experiences may lead you to conclude that the CoJCoLDS is Christ's church, and where you should be.  If that's the result, there can be a little culture shock, because our church is more than a church, it's a lifestyle.  And there are some interesting cultural oddities that come with the lifestyle.  Some we can explain doctrinally, others we tend to be embarrassed by. :D

@DeseretdogSince you are investigating you might not be familiar with acronyms.  CoJCoLDS is: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  

I really appreciate the support. I'm a little odd in that I moved to a rural area that is predominantly LDS but working for an organization of a couple hundred people that are 95% from other parts of the country. There is an anti local, anti Mormon attitude that is common amongst my co workers. As I've been here a while and have become friends with more and more locals ive realized that these are good people and that a lot of their positive attributes are due to their beliefs. 

Fast forward a couple years and my desire to reconnect with God led me to looking at various denominations of Christianity and once I started researching The  CoJCoLDS it was like it hit me that this feels so true that I need to continue moving down this path.

13 hours ago, Deseretdog said:

I really appreciate the support. I'm a little odd in that I moved to a rural area that is predominantly LDS but working for an organization of a couple hundred people that are 95% from other parts of the country. There is an anti local, anti Mormon attitude that is common amongst my co workers. As I've been here a while and have become friends with more and more locals ive realized that these are good people and that a lot of their positive attributes are due to their beliefs. 

Interesting.  Where do you live?

On 3/17/2024 at 3:33 PM, Deseretdog said:

Thank you all. I'm hoping to get a little theological insight and exposure to some different views. So far everything that I have researched resonates with me much more than other denominations but my more importantly, my most powerful experience with feeling the spirit came when I was listening to a sermon? at General conference I believe by president? Nelson.

A note – I am a retired engineer and scientist in the field of automation, robotics and artificial intelligence.  Most everything I have studied concerning the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints resonates with me as well.  There are some things that initially seemed out of place or not quite right but over time have proven to be exactly spot on and prophetic.   The strongest piece of evidence for me has been the Book of Mormon.  If I were to highlight any possible contrary element it would be a few members that have overrated themselves.  But even considering such members and compared to any other organization – there is no other institution on earth I personally trust more.  Even the most enlightened and intelligent institution in the universe (heaven) produced an abundance of (though very intelligent individuals) that way overrated themselves as well.   Pride is such an enemy and hindrance to peace and unity of society.

The Traveler

Hello again! I was wondering if anyone had the questions/ interview process prior to getting baptized? I know that I came across them on this forum but seem to be unable to locate now. I did attempt to use the search function here but...

On 3/24/2024 at 4:00 AM, Deseretdog said:

Hello again! I was wondering if anyone had the questions/ interview process prior to getting baptized? I know that I came across them on this forum but seem to be unable to locate now. I did attempt to use the search function here but...

You’ll be asked the following:

Do you believe that God is our Eternal Father? Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Savior and Redeemer of the world?

Do you believe that the Church and gospel of Jesus Christ have been restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith? Do you believe that [current Church President] is a prophet of God? What does this mean to you?

What does it mean to you to repent? Do you feel that you have repented of your past sins?

You have been taught that membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints includes living gospel standards. What do you understand about the following standards? Are you willing to obey them?

The law of chastity, which prohibits any sexual relations outside the bonds of a legal marriage between a man and a woman

The law of tithing

The Word of Wisdom

Keeping the Sabbath day holy, including partaking of the sacrament weekly and serving others

Have you ever committed a serious crime? If so, are you now on probation or parole?

Have you ever participated in an abortion? (see 38.6.1).

When you are baptized, you covenant with God that you are willing to take upon yourself the name of Christ, serve others, stand as a witness of God at all times, and keep His commandments throughout your life. Are you ready to make this covenant and strive to be faithful to it?