Considering Sending Tom Hanks Movies...

mwhitrock

I've been a big fan of Tom Hanks over the years. He's done alot of great acting and directing. Like Steve Irwin (Croc Hunter), it almost feels like he's family.

I respect his political views, although they sharply contrast my own. I know his moral convictions are his. I respect that too.

However, when I see what seems to be an acceleration of modern day mobocricy perpetuated and expanded in the media by this man and his production company, I'm left wondering what I can do.

The current issue has really polarized my thinking on this matter and I need help on how to deal with it.

HBO (which I've never subscribed to) is about to air their Hollywood version of the temple endowment on Big Love, a series I've never watched and never intend to. This comes following his Mormons/Un-American comment.

I felt betrayed by that comment, but decided not to mail him all of my 15 VHS tapes/DVD's to do what he wanted with them because I feel I must respect his right to have an opinion.

However, this latest action leaves me wanting to say enough is enough. I'll not have his movies playing in my house any longer!

Is this wrong? Should I refrain from finding his address and sending him his movies back? Is that being undignified? Any thoughts?

You would be better off throwing them in the garbage as he will likely never get them. They would be tossed out with the rest of the junk mail I'm sure he gets.

Save your money, just throw them out.

Yeah, what he said.

What was his Mormons/Un-American comment?

Something to the effect that Mormons are un-American because they voted for Prop 8.

It seems like everyone has no problem remembering the original comment, but no one cares that he recanted it.

I posted the following on another thread already, but I think it bears repeating:

It's not only here, but other places as well, that I've read speculation from members of the Church that this episode is in some way retribution by Tom Hanks for Prop 8.

(1) Tom Hanks is a happily married straight man.

(2) I'm sure he has better things to do with his time than sitting around thinking "What can I do to stick it to the Mormons today? Hmmm...maybe I'll air their most sacred ordinances on television! Yeah, that'll show 'em!"

(3) Tom Hanks is one of 22 producers of the show, and there are five producers that have more episode credits than Mr. Hanks has.

(4) Tom Hanks is a very talented man. He happens to not agree with a political position of the Church. So what?

I'll not have his movies playing in my house any longer!

I can certainly understand how you feel. When I first heard about HBO airing the temple ceremony I was outraged. But then I cooled off a little. Then a lot. Let Satan do his worst, it won't slow The Work one bit.

As for Tom Hanks and his movies, I've never been that enamored with him anyhow and we don't own anything he's in or produced. Not because I have avoided his works, but just because he's never done anything that wowed me.

Do as you wish with his movies you own. He will never know or care, but if it makes you feel better then have at it :-)

Janice

One more thought... I've always found it down right odd how much non-Mormons get worked up over what we do in our temples. As much as I love and respect our temple ordinances, I've always thought an outsider who did not love them would find them boring.

What does HBO hope to accomplish? What are people hoping to see? I expect some Mormon-haters will feel let down to find that we don't have orgies, we don't sacrifice chickens, and we don't howl at the moon.

In the big picture, what HBO and Tom Hanks do is very much a non-issue.

Janice

One more thought... I've always found it down right odd how much non-Mormons get worked up over what we do in our temples. As much as I love and respect our temple ordinances, I've always thought an outsider who did not love them would find them boring.

D&C 10:20-22

20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that Satan has great hold upon their hearts; he stirreth them up to iniquity against that which is good;

21 And their hearts are corrupt, and full of wickedness and abominations; and they love darkness rather than light, because their deeds are evil; therefore they will not ask of me.

22 Satan stirreth them up, that he may lead their souls to destruction.

It's not only here, but other places as well, that I've read speculation from members of the Church that this episode is in some way retribution by Tom Hanks for Prop 8.

From what I understand, the episode taped in late summer or early fall of last year.

I have no desire to cleanse my library of Hanks' films. Some of them aren't half bad, and doing so wouldn't hurt him anyways (I might think twice before buying anything else with his name on it, though).

Besides, my two-year-old would kill me if I threw out Toy Story.

I've been a big fan of Tom Hanks over the years. He's done alot of great acting and directing. Like Steve Irwin (Croc Hunter), it almost feels like he's family.

I respect his political views, although they sharply contrast my own. I know his moral convictions are his. I respect that too.

However, when I see what seems to be an acceleration of modern day mobocricy perpetuated and expanded in the media by this man and his production company, I'm left wondering what I can do.

The current issue has really polarized my thinking on this matter and I need help on how to deal with it.

HBO (which I've never subscribed to) is about to air their Hollywood version of the temple endowment on Big Love, a series I've never watched and never intend to. This comes following his Mormons/Un-American comment.

I felt betrayed by that comment, but decided not to mail him all of my 15 VHS tapes/DVD's to do what he wanted with them because I feel I must respect his right to have an opinion.

However, this latest action leaves me wanting to say enough is enough. I'll not have his movies playing in my house any longer!

Is this wrong? Should I refrain from finding his address and sending him his movies back? Is that being undignified? Any thoughts?

In general I would suggest refraining from any action inspired by anger or getting even. I also think that any action inspired by love to protect your family and society in general is prudent and wise.

The best way to stop lies is to live in such a manner that any one that knows you would believe them.

The Traveler

. . . when I see what seems to be an acceleration of modern day mobocricy perpetuated and expanded in the media by this man and his production company, I'm left wondering what I can do. (emphasis mine)

Mobocricy? Hardly.

Mobocrisy is an extremely loaded word for the LDS, harkening back to earliest days of the Church where it was attacked left and right from mobs--real mobs, not a stupid television series.

Mobocrisy is when fifty men pull you out of your bed, where you’re caring for a sick child, almost killing you by tarring and feathering, and trying to force poison down your throat.

Mobocrisy is pulling husbands and fathers out of their homes, tying them to trees, and strapping them, some almost to death.

Mobocrisy is pulling these men’s terrified wives out of their homes into the bitter cold with shards of ice tearing up little children’s feet, and watching them burn their home and belongings to the ground.

Mobocrisy is 250 men slaughtering twenty Mormons, including a ten-year-old boy with a rifle to his head, the murderer explaining: "Nits will make lice, and if he had lived he would have become a Mormon.”

Mobocrisy is a military militia that has taken an oath to obey its commander, but once he is out of sight, murders a beloved man and his beloved brother, in cold blood.

Mobocrisy is continuing to terrorize people and forcing them to leave Nauvoo in early February, making them cross the frozen Mississippi despite their intense suffering: Nine babies were born in one week, wagons collapsed, people died from exposure, and it took 131 days to gravel 310 miles.

Mobocrisy is not Tom Hanks speaking his mind, which he has every right to do, about Mormons and their activism to pass Proposition 8.

Mobocrisy is not Tom Hanks’ involvement in a television series that depicts Mormons in ways that offend many of them, which he has every right to do.

Again, mobocrisy is an extremely loaded word to the LDS, and should not be used lightly because the comparison dismisses the very real and horrible suffering the early Saints experienced at the hands of true mobs.

Regarding his movies, everyone else has explained sending his movies back would probably be a waste of time; however, I agree that if it would make you feel better, I think you should do it. Sometimes these gestures can feel like the real thing, and I think that’s okay.

Elphaba

So, let me get this straight...

You are willing to throw out all your movies (that you enjoy) because an actor does something stupid?

Why are you punishing yourself?

Here's something to think about: He doesn't know you, nor does he really care about your opinion.

I am going to enjoy my life. When I find something objectionable, I will remove that item from my life. But I see nothing that can be accomplished by throwing out quality movies or other work that he's done.

BTW, while I may be blasted for this, I am wondering if the principle is the same. If your child told you they were attracted to the same sex, would you automatically throw out all your memories, photos and everything associated with that child IN PROTEST TO THEIR DECISION?

With the increasing exposure of the Church, it's going to happen MORE AND MORE.

I plan to ignore it and NOT talk about it. The press LOVES negativity because it sells. When you say that you hate something, you're doing FREE PUBLICITY for them.

I'm not doing any publicity for anything I hate.

Let it die with their current ratings.

Ooh the ratings for Big Love are poor?:D

And mock the Church, say we are polygamists at heart, but please do not air our sacred temple ceremonies. Of course I will not share the part about the consequences for those who do.

And will some brave clever soul please put a camera in his bedroom for public viewing and then ask him to air our private, sacred, *non-sexual* ceremonies?

I apologize for being vulgar but I think what he and many others are doing is far, far worse.

I would say follow your concience. For me I don't even expect hollywood to follow the gospel, because I don't think they have any concept of what it is. I am sure someone here who is smarter than me can tell you the names (I can't remember). I would follow the example of the religious leader that was blasted for saying marriage should only be between a man and a woman but when the people were protesting in front of his church, it was him and his members who gave them water and refreshments. Hate the sin but love the sinner. We are all sinners and all fall sometime. When we know better, we do better. I have toy story, monsters inc, that darn cat, (old version) lion king and lots of others. I have no real idea of the stars values. That isn't why I have them. They are just entertainment. I also love rock hudson and doris day. And I am pretty sure if they asked rock hudson where he stood on the issue, it would be far from where I am. Take care

I see no point at all in sending all your Tom Hanks movies to Tom Hanks. All that does is deprive you and your family of things you have enjoyed in the past and would probably enjoy again. Why do that to yourself?

Likewise I don't see any point in throwing them away either. They weren't Satanic and evil when you bought them and they haven't changed.

What about the actors and actresses in this Big Love? Would you destroy everything they have ever done too? What about the camera crews? The sound engineers? The lighting? The props department? etc etc. Would you deny yourself any of the movies they have ever worked on? You wouldn't even know.

If Tom Hanks stood in the middle of Temple Square and said "The Mormons are bonkers" it still wouldn't make any difference to the movies you have already seen, and throwing DVDs away which you have already purchased sure as heck won't affect Tom Hanks or his income and lifestyle.

I'm also quite surprised at the people who say "I have never watched this show but I know it's shocking, appalling, terrible." Isn't that the same sort of attitude we criticise when we complaon about people condemning the Book of Mormon without having read it? People areprobably going to want to watch it even more because of all the fuss Mormons are making.

But take a step back from this whole thing for a minute and look at something else. Look at King David in the Old Testament. He sinned. Did Heavenly Father say that made everything he had done previously suddenly become worthless? did Heaenly Father throw it away? If He can make the distinction I think we ought to be abe to at least try.

If the Lord can forgive me of my weaknesses and trespasses, I do believe Tom coming forth in public in apology should receive the same.

Wow people really get worked up over stuff like this.

I watched some of big love last season out of curiosity. It was ok. Desperate housewives is better tho ^_^.

You could apply this logic to ANY film based on factual information. Surely those awful movies based around 9/11 are MUCH worse as they are cashing in on and glamourising terrorism and death. Or what about depraved torture films like Saw?

From what Ive seen of big love-its not that accurate anyway, which may or may not be deliberate. Why don't the people who are wasting their energy worrying about this use it as a missionary oppurtunity? If anyone ever asks them about it then at least they have the chance to correct them if the show was wrong. Chill.

Tom Hanks seems to be on a crusade in the last few years to tick of some religions, i mean the Catholic Church hasnt been happy with him either.

I wonder how accurate they can be on this? to acurate is one thing but Not very accurate at all can be worse, if they just guesstamate most of it they will have non LDS people thinking that is the way it is truely done, both ways are scary in my book, But what happens if people see this and the spirit hits them them i know that probley is unlikely but ya never know. this whole thing disturbs me, But i do think more damage could be done if they show some thing truely out of the ordinary that is truely false. either way it should never be shown rather it isnt accurate or it is.

• 2 weeks later...