If you are LDS, how do you handle it when people say you are not Christian?

Note: I don't want to debate when LDS are Christians or not. I've read all that and I'm sure so has everyone else. ;) Thanks.

Assuming we convert, I am realizing that I will be hit with an onslaught of criticism and "they are not Christians" comments.

I said to my husband "it will be never ending from our friends and Protestant homeschool groups, we might even be asked to leave our homeschool groups. Then what do we do???"

That hits me hard. I have been a Christian my entire life and for someone to accuse me of not being Christian is hard to imagine let alone handle well.

This is not an LDS area and I'm kinda of scared of being isolated.

I don't even know what I'm really asking but I feel very :unsure: and would just like to toss this topic around with others who have been there, done that. :grouphug: I'm sorta just wondering about how this all is going to feel.

Blessings.

I usually chuckle at their ignorance or bigotry and walk away. If I am looking for acceptance from them, I usually start by pointing out that the name of our Church contains the name of Jesus, so why would we not be Christians if we have taken His name upon us? If they are still unimpressed, than I would ask them to state specifically why they think we are not Christians, and answer them point by point.

Ya know, it it's just me, I don't care so much. I do care but I don't, ya know? I'm in a VERY Roman Catholic area and being Protestant, I'm used to it. Sometimes I feel isolated but I'm a big girl. ;) Following God can be difficult sometimes and you have to keep your chin up. ;)

When it comes to my kids and their friends, that's where i get a bit more worried and concerned.

I know that God will provide what is necessary for my kids but as a parent, you do worry. You can't help it, it goes with the job. :D

Sorry, I tend to "what if" a lot. :unsure:

The majority of times that I've heard that, it's been a question, like "Wait, but Mormons aren't Christian, right?" Most of the time, it's asked in ignorance. I usually respond with "Well, the full name of our church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, so yes, we definitely believe in Jesus Christ." That will either entice a simple "Oh, okay. That makes sense, I guess" or a follow-up question. The follow-up is usually more specific, and I find that it's easier to answer someone's questions when they narrow down their inquiry.

I live in the bible belt south so I get that question all the time...its usually the first thing that people say when they find out I am LDS. It used to bother me, but i've realized that in the long run, their opinions of me don't really mean much. I know that doesn't help, because it still hurts to be accused of not following Christ when thats what you've always tried to do...but decide for yourself what being "christian" really means....I mean in the bible we constantly read of how christians were discriminated against and had to endure many trials...perhaps that is what we are called on to do now. Perhaps that being Christian means standing for Christ and His gospel even if everyone is throwing stones of doubt our way? Just a thought...but usually just explaining that we are indeed followers of Christ is enough to answer the "are you christian" questions. I hope that you find the answers you are looking for...and if you feel the church is true, I promise that though it might get difficult at times, the Lord will constantly bless you for being baptized.

As a recent convert, I have not heard this comment much. Do have an aunt that is southern baptist that has raised some questions, but been supportive for the most part. I also refer people to the Articles of Faith and have also told people that if they would like to have open honest conversations about my faith I welcome it, but if it is going to be a closed minded argument I'm not interested.

Note: I don't want to debate when LDS are Christians or not. I've read all that and I'm sure so has everyone else. ;) Thanks.

Assuming we convert, I am realizing that I will be hit with an onslaught of criticism and "they are not Christians" comments.

I said to my husband "it will be never ending from our friends and Protestant homeschool groups, we might even be asked to leave our homeschool groups. Then what do we do???"

That hits me hard. I have been a Christian my entire life and for someone to accuse me of not being Christian is hard to imagine let alone handle well.

This is not an LDS area and I'm kinda of scared of being isolated.

I don't even know what I'm really asking but I feel very :unsure: and would just like to toss this topic around with others who have been there, done that. :grouphug: I'm sorta just wondering about how this all is going to feel.

Blessings.

actually i really do feel sorry for them because they are truely the ones not doing what christ has taught us all.:)

Hidden

How to respond when told "Mormons aren't Christians":

Response #1: Is that your nose, or did a blimp park on your face?

Response #2: And Israeli's aren't Jews.

Response #3: How very Christian of you to condemn me.

Response #4: Is that your face, or did your neck throw up?

Response #5: Let the stoning begin!

Response #6: I know you are, but what am I?

Response #7: That's so weird, because I accept Jesus Christ as my Redeemer and Savior and believe that through Him I'll get to Heaven.

As a member of the LDS church. I see the questions as a false argument. because the term christain is defind so differently between the churches. And in my view a Christian is defind by his actions, not by his views. So I don't try to convince anyone that I'm a christian that will be detrimed my actions and by the Savior.

I ask how that person defines a Cristian. What kind of a person is a Christian. If the person says that a christian is a good person... I would say ... so you think I am not good person? ... If they say a Christian believes in Christ and salvation... I say so do I. If the person says, you have to believe in trinity I say .. ok I am not a Christian... but so were not the early Christians either and diciples, as triny was found in the conferance that was led by Konstantin a cesar who was not a even Christian. (Got babtized just before he died). You cant find the word trinity anywher in the Bible.

I actually think this concern is a valid one and if I were in your shoes I might have some of those same trepedations. I would wonder if my friends might reject me too. I hope that doesn't happen. I hope your associates can get over the change if it becomes an issue.

I think the best testimony that one can give is the way such questions or even allegations are met. So if you do get baptized and your friends do question you, just greet them in love and patience and understanding that they don't see things as you do. Maybe you could say, "I know this is different to you, but I love the Savior very much." And then turn it into a teaching opportunity. In that case, you could say lots of things that could illustrate why mormons do believe, worship, and follow Christ. But you don't need to panic or get smart or defensive. The truth is best presented with love even to the nasty ones.

Good luck. No doubt this could be disheartening at first.

We're Christians in the most important sense.. that we follow and claim Jesus Christ to be the son of God and redeemer of our sins.

Outside of that.. our religion is an entirely different animal. Our henotheist view of God(s) is just the beginning :cool:

A lady in my ward shared her experience about being kicked out of a 'christian' homeschooling group because she was not 'christian'. It might happen, it just depends on how inclusive or exclusive the group is.

Same thing with friends - if they wish to include someone with a different belief, then things will be fine. If they only want to hang out with carbon copies of their own religious belief, well, their loss. (For what it's worth - you will probably find a couple of mormons who fall in the latter group as well - and won't want anything to do with someone who takes their kids to a christian homeschool group. But they'll hopefully be a tiny, tiny minority.)

My experience in Colorado has been ok. We've taken our kid to a co-op run by the Church of the Nazarene, and they had a wonderful experience. Those are nice people. My wife tells me there was only one woman who wanted to make an issue over our mormon faith, but she was easily deflected.

This fall, we'll start a new co-op run by our local mega-church. Their policy is to allow everyone regardless of religion. They make us sign something that says "here's our statement of beliefs, by signing this, you're telling us you are ok with us exposing your kids to these beliefs". There's plenty in those beliefs that we disagree on (trinity, biblical infallibility, etc), but there's no belief that says "it's our job to convince you you're wrong".

So, we'll give it a try and see how we fare.

LM

Guest TheLutheran

Lilac~~ You asked for recommendations for addressing to the "you are not Christians" claim from other LDS. May I share my thoughts? I'm not LDS but I could share a bit that might make your exchange more pleasant and effective. :sunny:

Instead of calling ourselves just "Mormons" or "LDS", why not call ourselves "LDS Christians"? It's no different when others refer to themselves as Christian, it's just that we'd add the LDS before it, plus I think it just has a nice ring to it. If answered like that, that could save loads of questions. I like it to the point where I'm thinking about officially using it for myself. You could then tell people that you're "a member of the LDSC Church". Yeah, I like it!!:):)

Edited by Carl62

• 2 weeks later...

I would venture that all of these "are you christian are they christian?" questions and stupidity will stop when ALL christian religions and churches stop with the claims of "we are the true church and everyone else doesn't get to go to our heaven". In the end it doesn't matter. All that will matter is the type of life we all have lead. If every one is following the teachings of Jesus and believes in salvation through him then what is the difference.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm still investigating all of this ..but I think I will be OK. :D

There is A LOT of bad information out there about the Mormons, so if I can clear up some misinformation, I'm sure I'll be fine. People who say stupid things most likely have very little information so once you present the facts, you are in better standing.

I'm in a very non-Christian area so it's nothing new to me to have to explain myself. :rolleyes: Add in the homeschooling and I'm always explaining something. :D