Does anyone else FEAR going before God to give an account?

JohnOF123

I was wondering if anyone out there extremely Fears going before God after you die to give a full account of your life. I do. I'm not talking about the ones who are semi-afraid, or just a little... I'm talking about a serious fear of this day. Any thoughts on this?

Just think about it. Every little word we've ever said, every word we should have said and didn't. Even our thought life! Imagine if someone played your thought life for the past week on a big screen for everyone in Church to see. That's scary.

Nope. If you have repented...if you have forsaken your sins....the Lord isn't going to remember your sins. That's the great news of the Atonement and Jesus Christ.

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

I don't know that fear is exactly the right word for how I feel about it... Trepidation perhaps? I know I'm going to see a lot that I'm going to regret, and will probably also NOT see things that I'll regreat (missed opportunities to teach the gospel, to make a difference in someone's life, to make a huge change for the better in myself, etc.)

Sometimes looking forward to that day is what gives me the courage to live up to the potential He knows I have in me to be better, and make a right choice. Sometimes it's what gives me the courage admit a mistake and right a wrong so that that "scene" can be blotted out of my little "life video".

But my faith and trust is totally in Jesus Christ. I know that He has overcome the world for my sake. I know He'll say "Fear not, I am with thee, be not dismayed". He is my mediator, and my Savior.

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

20 And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee.

21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?

22 But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts?

23 Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk?

24 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house.

He has not lost that power.

12 But I was racked with eternal torment, for my soul was harrowed up to the greatest degree and racked with all my sins.

13 Yea, I did remember all my sins and iniquities, for which I was tormented with the pains of hell; yea, I saw that I had rebelled against my God, and that I had not kept his holy commandments.

14 Yea, and I had murdered many of his children, or rather led them away unto destruction; yea, and in fine so great had been my iniquities, that the very thought of coming into the presence of my God did rack my soul with inexpressible horror.

15 Oh, thought I, that I could be banished and become extinct both soul and body, that I might not be brought to stand in the presence of my God, to be judged of my deeds.

16 And now, for three days and for three nights was I racked, even with the pains of a damned soul.

17 And it came to pass that as I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins, behold, I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.

18 Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.

19 And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.

Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more.

Edited by Dravin

I don't know that fear is exactly the right word for how I feel about it... Trepidation perhaps? I know I'm going to see a lot that I'm going to regret, and will probably also NOT see things that I'll regreat (missed opportunities to teach the gospel, to make a difference in someone's life, to make a huge change for the better in myself, etc.)

Sometimes looking forward to that day is what gives me the courage to live up to the potential He knows I have in me to be better, and make a right choice. Sometimes it's what gives me the courage admit a mistake and right a wrong so that that "scene" can be blotted out of my little "life video".

But my faith and trust is totally in Jesus Christ. I know that He has overcome the world for my sake. I know He'll say "Fear not, I am with thee, be not dismayed". He is my mediator, and my Savior.

I agree with your conclusion! I will bring nothing before God but my faith in Christ. I am nothing without Him. Christ is our righteousness! Good answer... :D

I was wondering if anyone out there extremely Fears going before God after you die to give a full account of your life. I do. I'm not talking about the ones who are semi-afraid, or just a little... I'm talking about a serious fear of this day. Any thoughts on this?

Just think about it. Every little word we've ever said, every word we should have said and didn't. Even our thought life! Imagine if someone played your thought life for the past week on a big screen for everyone in Church to see. That's scary.

I do, I always have. I am scared that I will forget to repent for something and that it will keep me from the Celestial Kingdom. Or I fear that I may not have repented enough for something and that might keep me from it as well.

My fear though helps to keep me doing what I should do, because I want to end up in the Celestial Kingdom, I want to be there with my family. So I try hard and when I fall I get back up and try hard to repent for my sins. All I can do is my best and Christ will make up for the difference. It is that thought that brings me comfort.

Every evening before I retire I kneel before my L-rd and review what happened that day. Going before the L-rd is not something to dread. It is an event of great comfort. Many times I have been ashamed with what I have had to report for the day but his love and concern has always been felt. For me I do not think it will be so different from what I have experienced for the greater part of my life. Like Rachelle D and Ecc. 1:9-10 I do not anticipate anything new or different.

The Traveler

Sure I'm scared... But I also know that whatever wierd, embarrassing or senseless thoughts I've had, whatever private things I've done while nobody was looking-- everyone else has either done the same, or much, much worse... I can't really see anyone other than a perfect angel who never lived on earth being able to pass judgement on me.

Besides, god CREATED me incapable of being perfect. You can't create something that's not perfect, and then punish it because its not, lol. God's not an idiot, he knows that. Also, there is a difference between being imperfect, and being evil.

I am not evil. So I think that despite all my imperfections, he loves me. Even my human parents are capable of loving me, regardless of my imperfections. So certianly god, who is much more devine than my parents, is capable of it too.

Edited by Melissa569

My fear, if fear is the right word, is how do I face Him knowing what I could have done, had I not done some of the selfish, self serving things I did? My short comings are what scare me.

He sent me here to do something, to prove myself. I could have done so much more, I could have gotten so much more done had I not been caught up in the way of the world; had I not been so self centered.

For that, I am so afraid of facing Him.

When the Lord says we should fear Him, he is saying we should respect, worship, and do as He commands. He is a loving father and does not want us to be afraid of Him.

Having said that I believe that the worst thing that could happen at the time of judgment

would be having the person you became introduced to the person you could have become.

The judgment is a formality... we dont need Christ to tell us if we can enter His kingdom or not because we will already know as soon as we enter His presence. His judgments of us will be instantly felt and we will either fall to our face in prayer and worship or we will collapse before Him in bitter despair.

Hidden

When the Lord says we should fear Him, he is saying we should respect, worship, and do as He commands. He is a loving father and does not want us to be afraid of Him.

Having said that I believe that the worst thing that could happen at the time of judgment

would be having the person you became introduced to the person you could have become.

The judgment is a formality... we dont need Christ to tell us if we can enter His kingdom or not because we will already know as soon as we enter His presence. His judgments of us will be instantly felt and we will either fall to our face in prayer and worship or we will collapse before Him in bitter despair.

We will likely know at the resurrection and the millenium. We will be resurrected to glorified bodies.......

not anymore; preparing to meet God and accept his judgements takes away the stark fear.

Still have plenty of anticipition that involves trembling tho.

I fear one thing most of all, that I have failed Him. In church we are constantly being told that we cannot go there alone. We must take others with us. I can't even manage to bring my own family. I am an utter failure.

By that standard, you have just condemned Heavenly Father. He cannot bring all of his family into His arms. In fact, he banished 1/3 of His children from His presence forever.

Listen again to the doctrine. You are not commanded to bring others with you. You are commanded to repent for yourself and keep the commandments. You are commanded to serve others. You are commanded to preach repentance ("preach" has varied meanings--not just something missionaries do or over the pulpit). You cannot save anyone. You cannot. Only Jesus Christ can save. You can have influence, but ultimately, the only person that you can change is you--not your husband, not your children, not your neighbor.

I do, I always have. I am scared that I will forget to repent for something and that it will keep me from the Celestial Kingdom. Or I fear that I may not have repented enough for something and that might keep me from it as well.

My fear though helps to keep me doing what I should do, because I want to end up in the Celestial Kingdom, I want to be there with my family. So I try hard and when I fall I get back up and try hard to repent for my sins. All I can do is my best and Christ will make up for the difference. It is that thought that brings me comfort.

Wait, Christ doesn't make up the difference. Christ did it all.

But we keep having talks at church telling us we cannot go to the Celestial Kingdom alone we must bring others with us. Our Stake President just gave us this again in a talk in our Ward 2 weeks ago. I have not succeeded in bringing anyone into the church who wanted to stay and of my two children the youngest doesn't want to go to church any more and my husband has said he will never join.

But we keep having talks at church telling us we cannot go to the Celestial Kingdom alone we must bring others with us. Our Stake President just gave us this again in a talk in our Ward 2 weeks ago. I have not succeeded in bringing anyone into the church who wanted to stay and of my two children the youngest doesn't want to go to church any more and my husband has said he will never join.

Then I think your SP is grossly misinterpreting the doctrine. We can only change ourselves! There's another saying "God will force no man 'to Heaven", meaning, if someone really doesn't want a relationship with Him, he's not going to force them, and niether can we. We can ENCOURAGE and FACILITATE gospel learning, and try to lead by example, but ultimately we can only gain a Testimony for OURSELVES, and not anyone else.

You have NOT failed.

When you get to the pearly gates just tell em your with Wisc. That otta get you past the bouncer at least. ^_^

I am not going to even enter into a discussion about that. The way I choose to live my life is just that, the way I choose. And if that means that I believe that I do my best and Christ does the rest then so be it.

That's fine; I understand. I'm just worried that by coming before an all Holy God with any claim, you might be robbing God of His glory. I thought I would just point out that by doing a "good deed", that would put you even further in debt to God since it is He that enables you. So the more good we do, the more we thank Him.