More earthquakes

pam

Yeh I read about that a week or so again. Freaky things happening these days. What's amazing is that one of the talks in General Conference was about the earthquakes and such happening with more frequency.

I felt it in the LA area, but it was more of a rolling motion, almost like being on the water. I live in a pretty active earthquake area, so I'm used to them. Earthquakes are actually a daily thing here, but most of them are too small to be felt by people or even animals. I could even say that there will be more earthquakes in California that are going to be felt, as it does happen here. It's not just the Pacific coast that is an earthquake zone, there's also the Wasatch fault zone in Utah, and the New Madrid fault zone in Missouri and other states. All it means is that it's a good idea to be prepared in advance for anything.

With the world media we have now, people outside of an affected area hear about earthquakes or other natural disasters as they happen.

We talked about this in another thread, shortly after Chile, but I don't know that earthquakes are happening more frequently. I think that we are hearing about them more frequently and that we think they are more frequent. But I don't know that they actually are.

Mexicali is quite the city. I remember back when I went to Calipatria High School my mom and I would go across the border and bring back really cool stuff like chessboards made out of gemstones and 'Mexican' goods we'd resell to the snowbirds. One time I found a 3 ft. long pottery panther-bank. The border guards spent the entire 15 minutes I was in line laughing and pointing at me, but I didn't care cause I was in love with it :cool:

Mexicali and Calexico are rough towns with good people, surrounded by farms and desert. If you have to have a big earthquake by a big city that's a good place for one.

We talked about this in another thread, shortly after Chile, but I don't know that earthquakes are happening more frequently. I think that we are hearing about them more frequently and that we think they are more frequent. But I don't know that they actually are.

I have been watching the USGS website for the last six years and I can say that from an artistic (non-scientific I'll admit) perspective it is very apparent that the size and distribution of earthquakes is growing exponentially.

There has been unusual activity on the eastern Pacific rim as of late. As of yet no one is sure where this is all taking us. There are two notions:

First - this is the beginning of things. Much more to follow.

Second - this is but an "adjustment" that occurs all the time and that will subside in time.

I am just glad that most of the activity is in the Northern Hemisphere. But then that could mean the Southern Hemisphere is more out of balance and that could spell the worse natural event in recorded history.

The Traveler

In Matthew 24 Jesus gives a discourse on the signs that will happen before He returns again. He spoke of wars, and rumors of wars, that kingdom would fight against kingdom, and that there would be famines and earthquakes in diverse places. Then he goes on to say that these will be the beginning of sorrows. In the Greek and Hebrew, sorrows isn’t the best translation, the words birth pains or labor would be a more correct translation. After an expectant mother carries a baby in her womb for nine months, and when the time for the delivery is at hand, labor comes on unexpectedly. It is this sharp pain that tells the mother that she needs to get to the hospital very quickly. As the time for delivery gets closer, the interval between labor get closer and closer together, and becomes even more intense. The same is true with Jesus’ signs of the times.

YEARS --- NUMBER OF QUAKES DURING THIS PERIOD --- TOTAL DEATHS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From 1960 to 1969 --- 28 major quakes from 4.2 to 9.5 --- 67,478

From 1970 to 1979 --- 35 major quakes from 4.5 to 8.0 --- 429,726

From 1980 to 1989 --- 36 major quakes from 5.0 to 8.0 --- 30,819

From 1990 to 1999 --- 47 major quakes from 5.6 to 8.2 --- 60,268

From 2000 to Present 2009) --- 405 major quakes from 4.8 to 9.5 --- 687,211

And we have had 12 major quakes in 2010 237,000

The above information came from the Wed site World Earthquake History. It documents earthquakes throughout the world.

We can trace the pattern of Jesus’ labor pains in the area of earthquakes. The same also hold true with WARS AND RUMORS OF WAR-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1900 to 1945 (45 Years) --- 40 major wars World War I --- 13,690,430

World War II --- 61,000,000

1946 to 1989 (45 years) --- 102 major wars Korean War --- 5,640,410

Veitnam War --- 6,264,758

1990 to 2008 (18 years) 94 major wars Gulf War, Bosnia,

Kosovo, Afghanistan, 2 Iraq wars In Luke 21:25 we see more Birth Pains revealed in a list that must take place before the Savor comes again.

And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars. On the

earth nations will be in anguish at the ROARING AND TOSSING OF THE SEA.”

This birth pain hit on Dec 26th, 2004 as a massive Tsunamis hit Indonesia killing over 212,000 people. Another labor pain came 8 months later with Hurricane Katrina. It was the greatest natural disaster of our time that hit the American coasts. Due to the 175 miles per hour winds, this hurricane claimed the lives of 1,836 due to the roaring of tossing of the sea. Was this just bad luck, or was it Birth Pains?

In 1997 we had 19 major solar flares blow out from the sun. In 1999 we had 136. Last month alone we had 153. Could this be what it is talking about in Revelations 16:8 when the 4th angel poured out his vial upon the sun, and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire. And men were scorched with great heat…

And then we have the killer Tornados and Twisters. Burma's Cyclone that killed 74,000 with another 60,000 missing. Not to mention that this year in the states we have tornado's in areas that there have never been before. (2007) Bad luck, or Birth Pains?

So the question is, do you see the signs, or are you to busy with the cares and concerns of the day. Over the last couple of years, inspired men have heard the whisperings of the spirit telling them that we need to prepare. Sadly, few are taking this very seriously. The question is, should we take this preparedness thing seriously, or should we just continue as we have been, just kind of taking life as it comes along. It is my prayer that we prepare in faith.

Edited by hethathathears

Even Elder Cook brought up in the Sunday am session of General Conference, the earthquakes and tsunamis that are happening around the world.

D&C 43: 25

25 How oft have I acalled upon you by the mouth of my bservants, and by the cministering of angels, and by mine own voice, and by the voice of dthunderings, and by the voice of lightnings, and by the voice of tempests, and by the voice of earthquakes, and great hailstorms, and by the voice of efamines and pestilences of every kind, and by the great sound of a ftrump, and by the voice of judgment, and by the voice of gmercy all the day long, and by the voice of glory and honor and the hriches of eternal life, and would have saved you with an ieverlasting salvation, but ye would not!

D&C 45: 33

33 And there shall be aearthquakes also in divers places, and many desolations; yet men will harden their hearts against me, and they will take up the bsword, one against another, and they will kill one another.

• 2 weeks later...

Another earthquake in China. 6.9

A mud slide.... Burma?

How many natural disasters have happened in our world since the Tsunami...was it two years ago? It seems like there are more and more each year.

You mean the two earthquakes that took place the day before Easter and Christmas respectively?

Flawed stats since I keep database of just Cali [1.0 to 7.0] alone...

No offense Hemi, but should I be trusting the United State Geological Survey or some random guy on the internet? But by all means, if you have a reputable citation for refutation of the statistics I'd be more than happy to take a gander at them.

In Matthew 24 Jesus gives a discourse on the signs that will happen before He returns again. He spoke of wars, and rumors of wars, that kingdom would fight against kingdom, and that there would be famines and earthquakes in diverse places. Then he goes on to say that these will be the beginning of sorrows. In the Greek and Hebrew, sorrows isn’t the best translation, the words birth pains or labor would be a more correct translation. After an expectant mother carries a baby in her womb for nine months, and when the time for the delivery is at hand, labor comes on unexpectedly. It is this sharp pain that tells the mother that she needs to get to the hospital very quickly. As the time for delivery gets closer, the interval between labor get closer and closer together, and becomes even more intense. The same is true with Jesus’ signs of the times.

YEARS --- NUMBER OF QUAKES DURING THIS PERIOD --- TOTAL DEATHS

From 1960 to 1969 --- 28 major quakes from 4.2 to 9.5 --- 67,478

From 1970 to 1979 --- 35 major quakes from 4.5 to 8.0 --- 429,726

From 1980 to 1989 --- 36 major quakes from 5.0 to 8.0 --- 30,819

From 1990 to 1999 --- 47 major quakes from 5.6 to 8.2 --- 60,268

From 2000 to Present 2009) --- 405 major quakes from 4.8 to 9.5 --- 687,211

And we have had 12 major quakes in 2010 237,000

The above information came from the Wed site World Earthquake History. It documents earthquakes throughout the world.

We can trace the pattern of Jesus’ labor pains in the area of earthquakes. The same also hold true with WARS AND RUMORS OF WAR-

1900 to 1945 (45 Years) --- 40 major wars World War I --- 13,690,430

World War II --- 61,000,000

1946 to 1989 (45 years) --- 102 major wars Korean War --- 5,640,410

Veitnam War --- 6,264,758

1990 to 2008 (18 years) 94 major wars Gulf War, Bosnia,

Kosovo, Afghanistan, 2 Iraq wars In Luke 21:25 we see more Birth Pains revealed in a list that must take place before the Savor comes again.

And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars. On the

earth nations will be in anguish at the ROARING AND TOSSING OF THE SEA.”

This birth pain hit on Dec 26th, 2004 as a massive Tsunamis hit Indonesia killing over 212,000 people. Another labor pain came 8 months later with Hurricane Katrina. It was the greatest natural disaster of our time that hit the American coasts. Due to the 175 miles per hour winds, this hurricane claimed the lives of 1,836 due to the roaring of tossing of the sea. Was this just bad luck, or was it Birth Pains?

In 1997 we had 19 major solar flares blow out from the sun. In 1999 we had 136. Last month alone we had 153. Could this be what it is talking about in Revelations 16:8 when the 4th angel poured out his vial upon the sun, and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire. And men were scorched with great heat…

And then we have the killer Tornados and Twisters. Burma's Cyclone that killed 74,000 with another 60,000 missing. Not to mention that this year in the states we have tornado's in areas that there have never been before. (2007) Bad luck, or Birth Pains?

So the question is, do you see the signs, or are you to busy with the cares and concerns of the day. Over the last couple of years, inspired men have heard the whisperings of the spirit telling them that we need to prepare. Sadly, few are taking this very seriously. The question is, should we take this preparedness thing seriously, or should we just continue as we have been, just kind of taking life as it comes along. It is my prayer that we prepare in faith.

Using the USGS data, I find it difficult to produce an argument that earthquakes are really on the rise. It's clear that the there have been more of the lower magnitude earthquakes recorded, but it is unclear how much of that is due to more sensitive equipment.

Also, the number of deaths doesn't really appear to be showing any kind of trend. It also looks like the number of deaths has a lot to do with where the earthquake occurs, with big spikes in deaths when they occur in areas rife with poverty and no infrastructure. So no, I'm not particularly concerned.

[ATTACH]393[/ATTACH] (3 pages)

[ATTACH]394[/ATTACH] (2 pages)

[ATTACH]395[/ATTACH] (1 page)

Edited by MarginOfError
Added reference to source on graphs