If you were not Mormon, then what?

Moksha

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an open ended hypothetical question that is always interesting:

What would be your religious choice of affiliation if you were not Mormon?

Remember, giving an honest answer does not commit you to joining another group and simply saying you cannot conceive of not being a Mormon is unhelpful since this is only a hypothetical question.

:)

1. Athiest

2. Muslim

3. Non denominational Christian

4. JW

5. nonevangelical Christian.

Remember, giving an honest answer does not commit you to joining another group and simply saying you cannot conceive of not being a Mormon is unhelpful since this is only a hypothetical question.

A rare brance of Tara Buddhism (not available in the USA)

The Traveler

Are you with Assemblies of God now PC? (I assumed you were, that's why I laughed at your post).

If you are, what would you be if you weren't part of Assemblies of God?

It's truly frightening to think what might have become of me if the A/G workers had not come to our neighborhood inviting kids to Sunday School. Drugs? Alcohol? Depression? It was all around me. We had two suicides my senior year in high school. The most religious friends I had were Jehovah's Witnesses, so that was a possiblity. I went to a Presbyterian college. The chapel service struck me as dry and formal, but if I didn't have the background I had, it might have proved refreshing.

On the other hand, if my church just disbanded, I suppose I'd join the Four Square, or perhaps the Church of God, Cleveland TN. It's funny though. As close as our doctrines, beliefs, and even worship style are, I'd feel a deep loss. So...I do understand why many here find this a difficult and awkward propsoition to consider.

I wouldn't have one......I left my catholic background because it didn't fit what my beliefs were, So I would have to say I would be one of those who chose to read scriptures at home,and live the commandments without a church or denomination. :)

It's truly frightening to think what might have become of me if the A/G workers had not come to our neighborhood inviting kids to Sunday School. Drugs? Alcohol? Depression? It was all around me. We had two suicides my senior year in high school. The most religious friends I had were Jehovah's Witnesses, so that was a possiblity. I went to a Presbyterian college. The chapel service struck me as dry and formal, but if I didn't have the background I had, it might have proved refreshing.

I totally know what you mean. That's why I honestly can't say I'd be very religious at all. I'd probably have a couple of kids (different fathers), and maybe a drug problem. If I was still alive. I might have been one of those suicides.

If you are, what would you be if you weren't part of Assemblies of God?

Silly me! :blush: I gave the wrong answer to this. I'm sure what I meant to say is that if I weren't A/G I'd surely be a priesthood holder in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. ;)

I always figured that if I wasn't LDS that I would be pagan, probably Wiccan. However during a time in my life where I was inactive I actually looked into Wicca and when I really began to think about the teachings and way it went about things I got a feeling that it just wasn't right.

So I think I would either be some other sort of Christian religion, or I would dabble with a type of Native American sort of religion, worship of the earth the sky, the things in nature.

I consider myself to be a Christian first and foremost, so if I was not LDS then I would definitely choose a Christian denomination. I have visited so many churches that I can see good in all of them. I really like the majesty of the Catholic Church and its Mass. I admire the intellectualness of the Unitarians, but they are too smart for me. I could get into the positions of the United Church of Christ. I admire the religious fervor and dedication of Churches like the Chaplain's AoG and the Four Square Gospels. They all have something to offer and the chance to worship God with a congregation is first among the offering.

Hemidakota suggested being a Mokshite. Sunday Services would begin at 3 PM, followed by a potluck with extra blessings for those who brought KFC and diet Coca-Cola.

Guest Alana

Before I was Mormon I was a non denominational Christian. I believed in God and in Christ but whenever I came across someone who said 'this is how it is' I never found myself agreeing 100% Of course I was just about 10 when I was baptized:P But still, that's how I felt. I do remember I really really really disliked congregations that danced during the hymns.

Guest mirancs8

If I wasn't Mormon I would most likely go in the direction of either Hutterites or Amish. Since I have an Amish friend I just love the way they live so simple and so self reliant. I couldn't see myself going for many of the denomination due to their liberal views (political and moral). It would have to be a group that lined up to my beliefs.

Unfortunately many if not all would fail to meet my spiritual beliefs like the Mormon church does. Every single element that I would and have been seeking all these years I have found in the Mormon denomination.

Ugh it's not pleasant to think about being anything but a Mormon. But it was a fun question!!

I actually came to a conclusioin to this awhile ago. In fact this wouldve happened if I wasnt born in the Church. I would have no Religious faith because none would make sense to me, I came to the conclusion during my "rebellious" period that if there was a God then his church would have to be the LDS one. Therefore assuming I would have the same intellengence, I would think there was no God or he gave up on us, I would be a horrible person caring only about myself. not something I like to think about

Guest Godless

I would think there was no God or he gave up on us, I would be a horrible person caring only about myself. not something I like to think about

(emphasis mine)

May I ask why?

I would think there was no God or he gave up on us, I would be a horrible person caring only about myself. not something I like to think about

I don't think you would be so different than you are now but that's just my two cents. If you're a good person I think you would remain one even if you had no religion. That's my opinion.