Tithing question

g8trjasonb

Safety guidelines for handling money from various organizations i've worked with, stuff that becomes a lifesaver if you have to go to court over it, or have to prove that you did what was required of you in any sort of legal question regarding the transaction. If i recall right that's generally along those lines why at least the bishops i've heard say to give the tithing to them on sunday during church.. no idea if that was just their own personal intrepretation of the rules or if it was listed in the handbook or whatnot anywhere.

Are there others other than the bishop and counselors authorised to collect and handle the offerings?

Have no idea how much care the church has on how the transaction is done at the point where the member hands it over. But I have a real good idea how its handled once it reaches the clerks office. I did not say that's how you're supposed to do it or how its required to do it,, that's why I said ideally.

I was an assistant finance clerk in a BYU ward back in 1998--my job was to count the offerings. IIRC, the policy then was that the Bishop or his counselors could take the donations--but once we put all the money together into one pot to be counted, there always had to be at least two people with it (myself and one of the bishopric) until it was deposited in the bank. Not sure if that is/was universal policy, or just a student-ward thing.

• 1 month later...

I've only recently started going to Church after having not been active for about 12 years, since I was around 20 years old. I am going to pay my tithing this month for the first time in my life, but since I've never paid, I'm not entirely sure how to do it. I know where to find the envelopes and how to write a check :lol:, but to whom do I give it or where do I put it?

Actually, I would never pay my tithing directly to my ward. Why would you want the Bishop, Secretary, Counselors, etc. to know not only how much you make per year, but also how much you pay in fast offerings, etc.

Instead, you should pay it directly to Church headquarters. That way you dont have the whole ward knowing how much money you make.

Actually, I would never pay my tithing directly to my ward. Why would you want the Bishop, Secretary, Counselors, etc. to know not only how much you make per year, but also how much you pay in fast offerings, etc.

Instead, you should pay it directly to Church headquarters. That way you dont have the whole ward knowing how much money you make.

And what do you think Church Headquarters do with it? They send it (at least the numbers) right back to the local unit. What you just posted was a lack of faith in your local leaders. I sure hope you realize that every ward/stake conference you're sustaining the local leaders. Plus you are going against what the Lord himself has declared through his Prophets what the process and order for tithing collection is.

I am choosing the electronic method to simplify the process for me. I can click on my billpay, and submit. The next day it's gone from my account and I am paid. Much easier than keeping track of checks, waiting for them to clear and doing stop payment for lost ones. Sometimes it would be over a month to clear.

. I sure hope you realize that every ward/stake conference you're sustaining the local leaders.

Theoretically yes, practically we don't know if he does that. Not every member of the Church sustain their local leaders (for whatever reason). Just a thought. I know we usually see all hands raised when a calling is extended but it doesn't always happen.

I am choosing the electronic method to simplify the process for me. I can click on my billpay, and submit. The next day it's gone from my account and I am paid. Much easier than keeping track of checks, waiting for them to clear and doing stop payment for lost ones. Sometimes it would be over a month to clear.

I would love to do this, but I'm not exactly sure what information I would need to set up my billpay.

What difference does it make if they see how much I make? I guess its a matter of personal preference, but it doesn't bother me one bit if they know.

And what do you think Church Headquarters do with it? They send it (at least the numbers) right back to the local unit. What you just posted was a lack of faith in your local leaders. I sure hope you realize that every ward/stake conference you're sustaining the local leaders. Plus you are going against what the Lord himself has declared through his Prophets what the process and order for tithing collection is.

Not so. Electronic donations made to Church Headquarters are recorded centrally, but the information does not get pushed down to the local leaders. You could pay all your tithing directly to Salt Lake, declare yourself a full tithe-payer at tithing settlement, and your bishop would have no idea how much you pay.

I would love to do this, but I'm not exactly sure what information I would need to set up my billpay.

Talk to your bank. They can set up a bill pay where they mail a check to the bishop made out to your ward.

I won't go into how to submit tithing directly to Salt Lake because the Church doesn't want the general membership using that system right now. Each donation has to be manually processed by the staff, and they don't have enough staff to do a lot of it. They've recently laid the ground work to make this an automated process, but it will still be a few years before it's ready to work for the general membership. Right now, they would like it to be limited to people who need to submit tithing but have not local place to do so, such as service men and women serving overseas.

What difference does it make if they see how much I make? I guess its a matter of personal preference, but it doesn't bother me one bit if they know.

I guess it depends on the leader, but some leaders are less stringent about confidentiality than others. Additionally, the people that have access to the finance information include the bishop, counselors, clerk, and finance clerk..and these people may change from time to time, increasing the total number of people who potentially know what your salary is. Whereas many people consider salary to be a private matter, it makes them uncomfortable that so many people know what they make.

• 1 month later...

I don't get it. People are willing to discuss their preferred lovemaking techniques, yet they don't want anyone knowing how much money they make? Can someone explain this morsel of bizarreness to me?