Weird Dreams

Suzie

I would like to know how many of you have weird dreams at night?. Let me explain...

When I talk to friends, relatives, etc and they share their dreams are usually things like their teeth were falling out, someone died, something funny happened, etc.

However, my dreams are different...they're extremely detailed. I dream with monkey mutations happening in distant/out of galaxy planets, meet the Prophet Joseph Smith and have an hour long conversation about polygamy and the early Church or like last night that I was part of a secret organization that fought the government when they tried to kill every single poor person in the US. These dreams leave me completely exhausted, I wake up very exhausted like I didn't sleep at all and I'm wondering how many of you have similar dreams?

Yes, I know I am nuts but that's besides the point....

When I dream or at least remember the dreams they always have the same theme to them. Only different scenarios. I'm always with my kids (when they were younger) and we are running and hiding out from some group that is out to kill us. Same theme, just different locations and a different group.

Why this theme I don't know. But that seems to be the only dreams I have or at least remember.

I have really detailed, and often bizarre dreams. Sometimes they do disturb me to the point that I wake up exhausted or in a sour mood. I've googled dream dictionaries to look up elements of the dreams. Sometimes they're in line with what's going on in my life (e.g., dreaming about losing teeth, which I've done a few times, denotes a feeling of loss or lack of control in your life). Other times, not at all. I believe that dreams are where I work out a lot of things that happen in my waking hours, and that sometimes they're just weird echos of conversations or movies or threads on the internet. :)

Oh yeah. I have weird dreams. That are in color and very detailed. I've dreamed of me being a male police detective with a highly trained police cat. I've dreamed of me plotting with the love of my life to "kidnap" me from the police while disguising himself in a gorilla suit. I've dreamed of my lip balm turning to liquid.

Some dreams really affect me. I will remember them for days and experience the emotions from them--grief, anger, happiness, etc. Poor Dravin--he's going to star in a dream of mine and I'll probably be angry at him for something he did in a dream!

Guest fadedleaf

Ah Yes, dreams. These subconscious hallucinations are mentioned in several places in Biblical scripture and even calumniated to one Pharaoh bringing Joseph out of jail to interpret one. I too admit to having vivid, lucid, dreams. Reluctantly though, when I realize I am dreaming I wakeup. I haven't been able to flip the switch that says, “come to reality but stay asleep” yet.

I did have a disturbing dream last December. It involved wordy population dying and Jesus himself telling me I was going to hell. I can still recall in detail what hell was like, but I'd rather not say. For several weeks I walked around in a fog thinking of how much material things had very little value in face of eternal damnation. I did start daily scripture study then (if not hourly), but that drifted off course a few months later. My quad now sits on my dresser getting limited use.

Other than pitchforks and fire, I do have intense dreams of people I’ve met, places I have gone, and plots I intend to use in novels that may never get completed.

I fully believe the more creative an individual is the more real the dream becomes (I have no proof of this).

Edited by fadedleaf

When I dream or at least remember the dreams they always have the same theme to them. Only different scenarios. I'm always with my kids (when they were younger) and we are running and hiding out from some group that is out to kill us. Same theme, just different locations and a different group.

Why this theme I don't know. But that seems to be the only dreams I have or at least remember.

Being chased is a pretty common theme. When I have them I usually can't get away, I always end up right back where I started and in danger.

Dream Moods: Common Dreams: Being Chased

It's fun to look at the other elements in the dream. Sometimes the chases or the reason I can't get away is a body of water so I search "water" and see what that is "supposed" to mean. Other themes or images that stand out I also search. Even when the "meaning" doesn't fit my situation thinking about it and giving it a chance to ponder it out I can often figure out which stressor is causing the dream. Many times I didn't realize it before. Also sometimes just knowing conciously what is bothing you is enough to make the dream go away, don't actually have to solve it all at once.

Edited by Gwen

I had a dream recently in which I dreamed in a dream.

The secondary dream was more real than the first. So real that I couldn't figure out if it was a secondary dream or if it was something really happening around me and it was making it's way into my sleep. I was not able to figure out what was real and what wasn't for about 15 min or more after waking up. I kept trying to wake up and could not, I can usually wake myself up on command so that was very unusual for me. I do feel like I received some revelation in the secondary dream at which point I "woke up" and went back to the first dream. I tried to wake up from that one as well and could not but I'm not sure how long that lasted. I ended up dreaming awhile more while pondering the secondary dream (and still trying to figure out what was real and what was not). It wasn't until I woke up for real that I was able to realize it was 2 dreams and none of it was real. It's been several weeks but even now to think about the secondary dream feels very real. It was so real that I spent days pondering it; that's when I understood and realized there was revelation in it. The first dream I couldn't tell you what it was about, I remember it was weird and not restful but I couldn't tell you the details or why it was unrestful.

I've had lots of weird dreams but that one is probably hits the top of the list.

The only dreams I remember are recurring ones:

1. I used to dream that I would be walking in a someone crowded environment (passing someone in a narrow hallway or on a busy/narrow sidewalk). Now the thing with this person is they did not have the top half of the skull and scalp so they were walking around with their brain exposed (think from the eyebrows up). The thing was I'd always trip or stumble and end up sticking a finger in their brain. Now it didn't hurt or kill them but they'd always give me an annoyed look and try as I might I'd either end up with a different digit in their brain or with more in all my efforts to remove them and they'd just get progressively annoyed as time went on (though they never said anything).

2. Weirdest dream I've ever had was one which consisted of me walking on stilts over a field of tiny pyramids packed together (such that I had to walk on top of the pyramids with my stilts) and it was a struggle to no fall over. This one always disturbed me the greatest, to the point where after having it and waking up in the middle of the night I was have to turn on the light or do something else for a while, or just sit there and stare at the ceiling.

3. Being chased dreams, with the plus that the person/thing chasing me can't be killed. I'll 'kill' it and either goes down and gets back up to resume the chase a few seconds later or no matter how much damage I inflict it keeps on coming (we're talking stuff like bats upside the head or broken limbs, sometimes even missing limbs). I don't just get chased and run away without fighting back (or trying to).

Edited by Dravin

Given Suzie's avatar, discussing my Katy Perry dreams in this thread would just create awkwardness . . .

Because of the way transfer dates shook out on my mission, I technically only served a little over 23 months. I have a recurring dream that I'm being asked to leave my wife and kids, go back to Brazil and finish the last month.

Also, the night before a court hearing, I often dream that I'm in court doing the hearing. Then I have to wake up and do it all over again. It's very depressing. (Something similar happened the night before I sat for the bar exam.)

I have weird dreams all the time. One when I was about 6 or 7 years old, I had a dream that I got out of bed and opened my bed room door. Standing at the end of the hallway was a pegasus wanting me to get on it and ride. So I did, but then as we were leaving, I had this feeling that I had to make a choice. Stay on the pegasus and not see my parents or brother again for a very long time, or return back to my bed. I choose to return to my bed, then I woke up.

Another one I was being chased by some group of people. I was in the mountains, and I knew the group wanted to kill me because I refused to deny Jesus Christ. I found a very small cave that I slipped into and they didn't see me go in, they moved on. Then I woke up.

Another one I was on some other planet where there were no such thing as cars although they had electricity and all the other modern conveniences like cell phones, etc. I was a missionary in this one, and we had a specific area we were allowed to stand and tell others about Jesus and the plan of salvation. There were no Bibles, only Book of Mormons - but I was not allowed to open the Book of Mormon. It was a little bit thicker than ours.

Another one I am in this wonderful mansion. I knew it was my family's mansion and I mean huge family going back to Jesus' time I think. I walked around inside, there was a movie theater, a fancy french restaurant, at least 1000 bedrooms (I didn't count, lol), an indoor swimming pool, and a huge backyard with the best play equipment I have ever seen. Then I had this feeling to go to a specific room, so I did. There was a little girl there who was hiding in the darkest part under a desk. I could just feel the dark presence in this room. But I knew I had to encourage the girl out and teach her about Jesus to dispel the darkness in the room. Once she came out and accepted Jesus, the room just lit up and there was no shadows anywhere. Then I woke up.

Back when I was literally working full time and going to college full time, I wasn't getting much sleep. Work 10pm to 6am, then classes from 8am to 4pm, and sleep 5pm to 9pm. During that time I had several dreams of me driving, falling asleep at the wheel, and waking up literally a second before crashing into someone in front of me, a concrete barrier, or a building.

Yea, i have had some weird dreams too. One of my dreams involved me watching the telivision screen of a major catastrophe around missouri recently. It was flooded all the way up to the great Lakes and many other things were going on. The rest of my dreams are the usual running away from a "person" or complete randomness. But anohter one of my dreams that kept reappearing at one time invloved me always locking my home up from a man trying to enter; to protect my family. These dreams of this burgular have stoped now, but I think I know what it ment now. I believe it was telling me to be vigilant of those close to me, that they me going down a wrong path and I need to help them. Their path has now been reveald and it is to late to prevent this entry into them, but i can be their for them to bring them back. Dreams are an intresting concept, some say you can control the world threw them in reality. Aswell threw the vibrations we give off becuase we are 70% water can effect the tone and atmosphere aswell. We may just have the ability to create a selffulfiling prophecy threw the vibrations we give off from what we are feeling, whether it be panick, hate, love, and fear etc.

Some typical dreams (some of which I've had many times over):

1. I have a geography exam tomorrow and I've done no studying at all. (The last geography took I took was in 1981). Alternatively I have a report to write by tomorrow and haven't even started.

2. I'm being gassed to death by carbon monoxide. I'm trying to get the door open so I can breath fresh air, but I'm too late. Then I wake up.

3. I'm in a car, being crushed by a reversing truck. I wake up just as I'm about to be killed.

4. I'm back at school, being insulted by a very rude and unpleasant science teacher, of whom I have made a very reasonable request (like being allowed to use his classroom for a student meeting). I tell him what I think of his rudeness, and he strikes me in the face. I hit him back, and we end up having a fist-fight.

5. I'm getting what I assume (within the dream) to be a testimony of the truth of the Book of Mormon - a long-standing obsession of mine. It's an uncomfortable, stifling and quite scary sensation, not totally unlike the "carbon monoxide" dream (2). I'm usually quite frightened by it, and glad when I wake up.

6. I'm at work (or sometimes back at school) and I realize I'm either: (a) naked below the waist, (b) wearing woman's clothes/shoes or © still in my pyjamas. I walk around, hoping no one will notice.

7. I'm talking to a dead friend, relative or work-colleague. I've told my wife about these dreams, and she's convinced these are real visitations from the spirits of these people.

My dreams often have very intense detailed plots that will get picked up where they left off and continue in other dreams. These are my "story" dreams. Sometimes, if I remember quick enough, I'll jot specific details down from them and I'll actually use them as ideas for stories.

What I find strange about my dreams is that I am almost never myself. When I was younger, I would have dreams where I was a superhero. I would and still often do have dreams where I am an animal (or change into several different animals throughout the dream), but more often than not I am usually just some generic person or some disembodied "mist" that is kind of flowing through everything going on.

I've had your typical anxiety dreams, usually involving school and getting lost, or running falling and/or being chased, but these ones are usually short and vague. They always clearly pertain to some kind of stress I may currently be facing and always go away once I have dealt with it. The story dreams are different in that they are very vivid, detailed, symbolic, and continuous. Sometimes, I get lucky enough to remember the entire dream and I spend a lot of time trying to uncover the symbols and interpret what they mean.

I don't put a whole lot of stock into the dream dictionaries, because I think the meaning of the symbols in dreams depends on the individual. If you think lions are scary and you dream about a lion it's probably because there something you're afraid of. But if someone else thinks lions are strong and brave, they may be feeling couragous about something. Just as the way we understand the meaning of different words depends on what we've associated with it as we've grown up, what symbols will be in our dreams and what they mean will depend on our individual experiences. Dream dictionaries can be a start to get ideas if you have no idea what something might mean, but I often go with an entirely different meaning than the one described there.

I had a dream a few months ago where I was at work taking a shower and someone locked my clothes and telephone in a locker, so I had to walk through the building naked with only a towel around my loins to the receptionist to tell her to call someone to unlock the locker for me. I even dreamed I wrote to LDS.net about it.

What a nightmare. And it seemed so amazingly real! And the receptionist laughed when she saw me after that! How could this be? Hmmmm. But I take comfort in knowing it was just a bizarre nightmare.

I've never had the dreams about being naked in a location in which i shouldn't be.... i do have the bathroom dreams though. The ones where you have to go but can't find a bathroom... if I don't wake up and in my dream I find a toilet and go then I will wet the bed. lol I think such dreams inspired this Animaniacs- Potty Emergency Video lol

hahaha I thought I was the only one that ever had those dreams.

I rarely ever dream (that I remember). Usually in my night time prayers I ask that I don't have any dreams that I remember when I wake up.

My most recent dreams: Something about college (7 months ago), my teeth falling to peices (5ish months ago), my laptop keyboard folding in half and breaking (a year ago), getting abducted by aliens&my 3rd grade crush saving me from drowning in the aliens hot tub ( I had this one all the time back in elementary school).

Thats the extent of dreams I can remember :)

Then again, its summer, my sleep cycle sucks.

I dream big time action movies. Imagine Aliens vs. Predator, mixed in with the Normandy Beach scene from Saving Private Ryan, with a few vampires, werewolves and other assorted nasties mixed in. I'm always involved in the middle of the action and often my friends and co-workers are helping out.

I had a dream last night that we were in some awful industrialized type existence and being fed food that was made from reprocessed garbage. I suppose that stemmed from the news story not long ago about Japanese scientists making "meat" from poop. Gross. I woke up and ate some chocolate to cleanse my mental palate. :)