Did I hear right? Did President Monson say

Vort

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always found it amazing that the new temple locations are kept so secret. No rumors come out about them or anything...

When President Monson announced the new Provo temple today, everyone was so surprised. No one expected that. I think it goes to show how truly sacred these buildings are, that we don't know - we can't even guess - where the next temples are going to be. The Lord knows where His houses are needed, and He will tell our Prophet when it is time to reveal those locations to us.

Amazing work is done in those temples and I cannot wait to visit the new Provo Temple.

And yes, the Provo Utah temple is probably the most heavily used temple in the entire Church. I'm sure there are many others that come close to the number of people visiting it to do work each day.

Every day there are missionaries from the Provo MTC going through it to do sessions. Every day there are students from BYU doing work there. Every day there are people going through it for the first time, to take out their own endowments. Every day there are people doing baptisms for the dead. Not to mention all the weddings and sealings going on. I've tried to go to an endowment session by just walking in and it was completely packed. It's a temple you've got to call in for an appointment to go to, for sure.

I've always thought that the community should provide community facilities and that the church should provide church facilities. I don't see what the issue is here, and who are we to question or complain or adversely comment about where temples should be built? If the people of Provo feel the need for a new community facility, there are ways by which that purpose can be accomplished, and I would have thought that relying on the church to meet that need, if it is indeed a need, is not the best way. I know any new temple is a good thing but it seems to me that this is not even a Utah only issue, this is mostly just a Provo only issue, so why all the fuss?

I've always thought that the community should provide community facilities and that the church should provide church facilities. I don't see what the issue is here, and who are we to question or complain or adversely comment about where temples should be built? If the people of Provo feel the need for a new community facility, there are ways by which that purpose can be accomplished, and I would have thought that relying on the church to meet that need, if it is indeed a need, is not the best way. I know any new temple is a good thing but it seems to me that this is not even a Utah only issue, this is mostly just a Provo only issue, so why all the fuss?

I don't think there is any fuss, except from those who wish to fuss in any case. I expect that most people, LDS and non-LDS, are perfectly happy with the announced temple, or else they don't care. There will always be a few who just have to voice a complaint about anything that happens; these are best ignored.

I was thinking of the Draper temple, being in south Salt Lake and probably serving down to Lehi as part of its district, and accidentally repeated myself. My point was that there are already three temples serving the area just south of the point of the mountain. The Mt Timp temple is what I used to call the AmFork temple.

The Draper temple's district includes Draper and Sandy stakes. It doesn't include anything south of Draper. :)

The Draper temple's district includes Draper and Sandy stakes. It doesn't include anything south of Draper. :)

In that case, I think there are only two temples serving that area (unless I'm missing the Lehi, Springville, or Spanish Fork temples), which makes an additional Provo temple all the more appealing.

If I had never been to Provo and knew nothing about its history, I suspect that an LDS temple would make perfect sense on the corner of Center Street and University.

That said, I echo HeThePrimate's sentiments in losing any degree of our old culture and heritage. I don't necessarily agree that the building should be rebuilt into what it was, but I do feel that we have lost or sold far too many of our older church buildings. I've heard talk of bishops and stake presidents standing in front of bulldozers in Coalville when the Church opted to demolish the Coalville Tabernacle. There is an old ward house that is utterly exotic and fantastic looking just north of the Conference Center that has been sold and left in disrepair. You can see pics of it at this excellent site:

Salt Lake 24th Ward LDS ARCHITECTURE

Our old architecture is important, especially now that the wardhouse building process has become so streamlined and generic.

For those who are upset that the building will be rebuilt as a temple I have to ask. Which do you prefer? A temple or for it to be torn down? It is going to be a huge expense as it is so it needs to be rebuilt with a very positive use in mind. Museums etc are nice but not really the churches business and we NEEDED a temple there so its a good blend of rebuilding and making it pay for itself.

We used to have a tabernacle here. After the stake center was built it was unused and became dangerous. Finally it caught fire and burned to the ground. It was devastating to the town.

I always used to think it would have made a beautiful small temple. When I see what they are doing to the remnants of the Provo temple it is bittersweet to know that at least that tabernacle is going to be restored beyond its original beauty. What a blessing that is to that valley. :D

The announcement reminds me of 2 talks that were given yesterday that confirms to me that the decision was a right one.

One was Elder Clayton's talk on the growth of the church. The church continues to increase in membership all the time. The growth in some areas has been astounding.

The second was Elder Bednar's talk about the spirit of Elijah. How we should teach our youth to do family history and do it ourselves. If all were fully engaged in this work they wouldn't be able to build temples fast enough for all the work that could be done.

To me the priority of the temple was upper most in their minds when the decision was made. When the tabernacle burned down it was left as nothing but a shell of a building. Complete restoration and building would have to be done. Wouldn't the tithing funds be more appropriately spent on the work that could bring salvation to so many and in keeping with the Spirit of Elijah?

:rolleyes: Yeah, whatever.

It used to be a beautiful forum for public, community-oriented events. Now the community as a whole will be shut out for good, and it will be used only by temple recommend-holding Mormons. Now, I am a temple-recommend holding Mormon, and so I could go in, but I think it's rather sad to see the building repurposed in such a way that the public will no longer be able to use it. Call me crazy, but that's the way I see it.

You make a good point, no matter what some of the hoi polloi on this thread say.

I grew up in Provo and am will acquainted with the history and the problems. Since I am invested in property near by - I should be very happy $$$$. But this does not make sense to me and not for any reasons stated so far. The buildings around Center and University are very old. There use to be a Penny’s store and Sears nearby that were torn down decades ago. Most of the buildings that remain in that area are mostly old and nowhere close to decent earth quake code or any other decent code.

Foundations, plumbing, electrical and structural integrity of 80% of the buildings within a mile radius is frightful to say the least. Much of the construction was 1920’s and before. My problem is that this seems to me to be putting a shingle on a pup tent. Very little of the property around this temple is worth updating. We are talking about a lot of area that is not much better construction than was the tabernacle. The area will have a hard time supporting the changes that should take place. The temple will not be very big and thus cannot handle much volume and where is anybody going to park?

The Traveler

The Provo temple operates at full capacity almost every hour that it is open. With the MTC and BYU there it leaves little time for the residents of the area. Another temple in Provo will be welcomed.

Ben Raines

Apparently you haven't been paying attention, Ben. The new Provo Temple is an unfortunate loss of a cherished Provo landmark. The Church leaders are being obtuse and shortsighted in daring to construct a temple (ptui!) out of the wonderful multicultural center that was the Provo tabernacle.

Well, I'm with HEP. I think it's sad that the community is losing access to the tabernacle.

On the other hand, buying new property that is so accessible to such a large population of temple goers is really, really expensive. This makes perfect sense, and I can't fault them for that.

Also, some might wonder why they didn't go ahead and do this before, but converting a tabernacle to a temple is hard work architecturally and can be prohibitively expensive. I can't imagine it's any more expensive to make the conversion after fire damage than it is to restore the tabernacle, so they may as well do it now.

I don't know what the plan is, but I imagine the ideal solution would be to tear down the existing structure and rebuild it.