What do you do?

sister_in_faith

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a difference between knowingly doing something and by accident. Not a big deal. Especially not big of enough deal to feel like I need to run to the bathroom to throw everything up.

Don't sweat it.

Um, sorry, but I don't believe it. Most of the alcohol is cooked off--not all, but a significant portion. Further, the sauce isn't alot, so unless he is literally drinking a huge amount of it, you cannot get drunk off of it.

If someone is allergic to alcohol, then the reaction is going to be different.

My wife has been known to get tipsy off of Swiss chocolates that had liquor in the filling, so there you go. :shrug:

(By the way, here's an alcohol cook-off chart if anyone's interested. Personally, I prefer President McKay's eating/drinking distinction!)

My wife has been known to get tipsy off of Swiss chocolates that had liquor in the filling, so there you go. :shrug:

(By the way, here's an alcohol cook-off chart if anyone's interested. Personally, I prefer President McKay's eating/drinking distinction!)

*note to self* No Swiss chocolates for JAG's wife this year for Christmas. ;)

When I was on my mission, someone offered us a chocolate (it was chocolate covered cherry). My companion (she was senior) and I took one each. I do not like chocolate covered cherries, but to be nice, I decided to just put the whole thing in my mouth and quickly down it. One bite and I realized that the stupid nasty thing had brandy in it--alot. I quickly swallowed it (no place to spit, unfortunately) and whispered to my comp "Don't eat it! It has alcohol in it!" She whispered back, "I know! That's why I only pretended to eat it."

She was not my favorite companion.

No other choice . . . we have kids who are very good at finding hidden candy. My three-year-old went through an entire bag of peanut butter M&Ms last month.

I'm having the mental image of a tipsy 3 year old running around the house with half a box of Mommy's chocolates.

I was on costco the other day, and they had one of those tables out where they were giving out samples. This particular one was for fruit juice. I took one of the little cups and downed the contents like a shot. I was making small talk with the sample lady when she mentioned that the juice contained tea. I would have had to go throw up to get it out of my stomach. I decided to just let it go, but I literally felt sick afterwards...

what would you guys do in that situation?

Another time, while out to dinner with friends we ordered a chocolate sunday at Applebees. It came out and everyone started enjoying it, but I realized after a couple of bites that they had put mocha coffee flavored topping on it. I thought about asking to send it back, but didn't want to make a big deal out of it. I just stopped eating it.

how would you guys handle that?

thanks for your thoughts!

dont worry about accidents you are innocent of.

for the second situation thats what i would have done.

Maybe learn to ask whats in things before consuming or something along that line.

*** 1: There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band,

2: A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God always.

3: He saw in a vision evidently about the ninth hour of the day an angel of God coming in to him, and saying unto him, Cornelius.

4: And when he looked on him, he was afraid, and said, What is it, Lord? And he said unto him, Thy prayers and thine alms are come up for a memorial before God.

5: And now send men to Joppa, and call for one Simon, whose surname is Peter:

6: He lodgeth with one Simon a tanner, whose house is by the sea side: he shall tell thee what thou oughtest to do.

7: And when the angel which spake unto Cornelius was departed, he called two of his household servants, and a devout soldier of them that waited on him continually;

8: And when he had declared all these things unto them, he sent them to Joppa.

9: On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:

10: And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,

11: And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:

12: Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.

13: And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

14: But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

15: And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

16: This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

At a reception McKay attended, the hostess served rum cake. ”All the guests hesitated, watching to see what McKay would do. He smacked his lips and began to eat.” When one guest expostulated, “‘But President McKay, don’t you know that is rum cake?’ McKay smiled and reminded the guest that the Word of Wisdom forbade drinking alcohol, not eating it.” (David O McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism, p 23)

So he KNEW he was eating alcohol, and tried to justify it? Wow, and in my Temple recommend interview today I admitted that I sometimes drink Diet Coke when I eat out. Wow, talk about being an example. :mad:

I remember one day my husband and I had gone out to eat at a very nice restaurant. He is atheist and at that time I was inactive and considering myself to be either agnostic or atheist. I decided a glass of wine couldn't hurt.

Just about the time the glass had been delivered to my table I overheard the discussion at a neighboring table. They were actually having a dinner prayer, and it ended in "In the name of Jesus Christ, amen." Hmm... interesting, but maybe other churches use that same phrase too. Then I heard the name Joseph Smith... I then began to eavesdrop on that table, and soon learned that the family was LDS. OMG! Here I am with a glass of wine that I ordered! I began to freak out and called the waitress over and handed her the glass asking her to remove it ASAP. I explained that I had made a terrible mistake in ordering it. I realized right then and there that I did still consider myself LDS, though it would still be a few more years before I became reactivated.

I'm grateful everyday for that family that set the example for me, and unknowingly kept me from more than a couple sips of the wine. They left the restaurant never knowing what they did, but I never forgot. Thank you to all those who set this kind of example. You may not realize it, but you may save someone from making a terrible mistake.

So he KNEW he was eating alcohol, and tried to justify it? Wow, and in my Temple recommend interview today I admitted that I sometimes drink Diet Coke when I eat out. Wow, talk about being an example. :mad:

I do not understand this event but still wont eat things with alcohol in it. For all we know the cake had rum flavoring not rum or the story is inaccurate.

It was also at a time that people thought if you cooked or baked with alcohol it completely burned off too. Let's not be quick to judge the intent here.

Edited by pam