Farewell, Hostess . . .

Just_A_Guy

How in the world can you have your products in every store (including wallyworld) and in many convenience stores across the whole U.S. and make well known bread (Wonderbread) and lose money?

There is nothing magical about having product on shelves that makes a company profitable. If all that product isn't moving fast enough or at a sustainable margin (or both) you've got a long term set-up for financial insolvency.

Edited by Dravin

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to post site rule #12. The rules we all agreed to when we first signed up.

12. You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this site to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

This is an impossible thread.

When somebody says things like - "greedy corporate people" and "starving American children"... like only union workers have children to feed, and everybody who doesn't work for the union are greedy, there's really nothing else you can say to contribute to the discussion.

Especially when you're facing the illogic of "you sell bread, it's impossible for you to not make a profit".

How in the world can you have your products in every store (including wallyworld) and in many convenience stores across the whole U.S. and make well known bread (Wonderbread) and lose money?

You cannot possibly be serious. (Except I fear you are.)

It's the corporations fault, not the union workers. The heads of Hostess are upset they have to still deal with paying pensions and unions when so many other U.S. businesses have either shipped their jobs to slave labor China or broke unions and are now paying their American workers a non living wage.

This is all about the head honchos of Hostess wanting to break the union. They want to be like Apple - make lots of money at the expense of slave labor in China or pay American workers a lousy wage.

So they're willing to commit corporate suicide to stick it to the union. Sure, that's perfectly reasonable.

The heads of Hostess are evil, evil, evil. People either stand with the greedy Hostess corporate people or you stand and protect the starving American children and their hard working moms and dads.

Guess I'm standing with those evil Hitlerians.

Thank you for your reply. I know they were offered a 1/4 stake in Hostess, but I didn't mention it in addition because being offered a stake in a failing company doesn't sound like a great deal to me lol. It sounds like you are saying Obamacare is the reason insurance prices are high.

If the workers themselves thought the company could not / would not turn around financially even if they had ownership, stock voting rights, and dedicated representation on the board of directors, then how can they blame the company for liquidating?

I have had the exact same insurance for 6 years, and every year the price has gone higher. Pres. Obama has been in office for 4 years :lol:

That's another discussion, but several of us have noticed health insurance skyrocketing since 2010. Can't really blame the HMOs - if you force them to throw thousands of dollars into health care for people who were previously uninsurable, but deny them the right to charge commensurate premiums for those particular people, then the rest of us will pay. (Hence, the mandate.)

More to the point: rising health health insurance costs are going to hit workers, and if they think their employers are going to shield them from that then they've got a nasty shock coming.

As for the money, where was it going? I don't know. It can be said with complete truthfulness that the money can go to wherever the managers want it to go. They don't have to spend it on replacing aging equipment. They don't have to increase employee wages.

But we're speaking with limited knowledge of the company's financials. If it didn't go to management, and it didn't go to employees, and it didn't go to infrastructure or advertising or R and D, then the only remaining possibility is that the money wasn't there to begin with - hence, the bankruptcy.

But getting wage concessions and raiding an employee-contributing pension fund without repaying the employees and then years later blaming the fed-up employees is not a very nice thing to do.

A major problem with some unions - and the Kossack crowd - in fact, with American fiscal liberalism generally - is the misguided expectation that math is supposed to be "nice".

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I would just like to let pam know that one of my volunteers brought me rare powdered Hostess donuts today I'm eating them as we speak.

Oh man. You are soooooo cruel. Cruel, cruel I tell ya.

Honestly I can't believe you age them. You should have sold them on Ebay and made a fortune. I have a friend that said he actually just purchased some chocolate Zingers on ebay because he loves them so much.

Edited by pam

Oh man. You are soooooo cruel. Cruel, cruel I tell ya.

Honestly I can't believe you age them. You should have sold them on Ebay and made a fortune. I have a friend that said he actually just purchased some chocolate Zingers on ebay because he loves them so much.

That's what I plan on doing with the 2nd pack...

Why, oh why did I not think of putting Hostess snacks in my 1-year food storage...

My understanding is that despite their reputation, snack cakes like Twinkies don't have amazing longevity in food storage terms just in baked goods terms. I suppose it would let one forestall the inevitable for those varieties that may not come back into production (or experience changes during the rebirthing process) for a little while at least. Also I suppose if your criteria is safe to eat rather than tasting fresh that buys you some more time.

Edited by Dravin

Especially when you're facing the illogic of "you sell bread, it's impossible for you to not make a profit".

If Wonder Bread is in a great number of stores in the U.S. as it currently is, it's for a reason - people buy it. As far as I'm concerned it's the only decent bread on the market. Yeah, they are making good money from their products.

If Wonder Bread is in a great number of stores in the U.S. as it currently is, it's for a reason - people buy it. As far as I'm concerned it's the only decent bread on the market. Yeah, they are making good money from their products.

Wonder Bread is the only decent bread on the market? It's barely food! :lol:

As far as I'm concerned it's the only decent bread on the market. Yeah, they are making good money from their products.

This may be the greatest thing that could ever happen to you as Wonder Breads demise opens up a whole new world of baked goods that actually have nutritional value.

Hoosier... to make good money in business, one has to sell the bread for MORE than it cost to make. It does not matter one wit if you sell 10 Billion packages of wonderbread a second when it costs you $10 to make a package of bread that you can only sell for $3.

Do you understand what I'm saying? THAT IS WHY they tried to negotiate with the Unions - so that they can lower the COST of making bread and actually make money.

If they were making good money, "greedy corporations" are not going to close down their cash cow just because they have a fight with the unions.

Now, let's see if this actually penetrates the walls of class warfare you're waging...

This may be the greatest thing that could ever happen to you as Wonder Breads demise opens up a whole new world of baked goods that actually have nutritional value.

There is not a lack of baked goods with nutritional value. They're sitting right next to Wonderbread (who actually makes different types of nutritional bread in additional to their classic white, but let's just say they aren't for the sake of making this point). Nobody buys them because they don't taste as good. The demise of Wonder Bread opens up a hole for a brand new company - probably a small business - to market their nutritionally deficient bread that tastes like Wonder Bread.