New Scripture Edition

pam

LDS Church announces new scripture edition | Deseret News

SALT LAKE CITY — Studying and understanding the scriptures of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will be a little easier now that church officials have completed an eight-year project focused on updating and adjusting the footnotes, chapter headings and study aids associated with the scriptures.

The revisions were released late Thursday and have been integrated with the LDS versions of the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price that can be accessed through The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Church officials said updates will be sent to those who have already downloaded online and mobile versions of the LDS scriptures.

Great; now I'll have to buy more of those Sharpie Gel highlighters and red pencils and start all over.

I still need to dig up great-grandma's big KJV with all her margin notes one of these days.

Hopefully when you say "dig" them up they weren't buried with her. :P

Hopefully when you say "dig" them up they weren't buried with her. :P

That would be easier; all that stuff is somewhere in about 2500 sq ft of storage that grandma then mom have used to just put away all the stuff that relatives have left behind, and we all keep saying we're going to go through it someday, but it hasn't happened in 20 years now.

Great; now I'll have to buy more of those Sharpie Gel highlighters and red pencils and start all over.

I still need to dig up great-grandma's big KJV with all her margin notes one of these days.

In the official announcement from the Church, they actually discourage the idea of going out and buying new ones.

The Church plans to release printed copies of the new edition beginning in August 2013. Because the new edition maintains the pagination and font style of the earlier edition, most members will notice little if any difference. For example, all the verses found on page 47 of the 1981 edition of the Book of Mormon will be found on page 47 of the new edition. This consistency allows members to continue using the 1981 edition.

“The current edition of the scriptures, with its extensive study helps, will continue to serve Latter-day Saints very well,” said Elder Neil L. Andersen of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. “This new edition incorporates adjustments that will be a blessing to Church members in years to come, but members should not feel that they need to purchase a new set of scriptures, particularly since all of the adjustments are available in digital formats at no cost. Changes to the scriptural text include spelling, minor typographical, and punctuation corrections.”

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/press?lang=eng

In the official announcement from the Church, they actually discourage the idea of going out and buying new ones.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/press?lang=eng

Well, they also said that not every young man should serve their missions at 18... and look at the response to that.

When a new mandate is suggested, it becomes "law" it seems. So yes, I think more people will be buying new scriptures.

I wonder if they do anything to that "Nephite Coinage" blurb in that one chapter heading :)

I don't know, but they tacked this onto the front of Official Declaration 2

“Book of Mormon teaches that ‘all are alike unto God,’ including ‘black and white, bond and free, male and female’ (2 Nephi 26:33). Throughout the history of the Church, people of every race and ethnicity in many countries have been baptized and have lived as faithful members of the Church. During Joseph Smith’s lifetime, a few black male members of the Church were ordained to the priesthood. Early in its history, Church leaders stopped conferring the priesthood on black males of African descent. Church records offer no clear insights into the origins of this practice. Church leaders believed that a revelation from God was needed to alter this practice and prayerfully sought guidance. The revelation came to Church President Spencer W. Kimball and was affirmed to other Church leaders in the Salt Lake Temple on June 1, 1978. The revelation removed all restrictions with regards to race that once applied to the priesthood.”

Edited by MarginOfError
I shouldn't have responded so definitively when I haven't yet seen the Book of Mormon changes.

Well, they also said that not every young man should serve their missions at 18... and look at the response to that.

When a new mandate is suggested, it becomes "law" it seems. So yes, I think more people will be buying new scriptures.

I was just suggesting that people need not go out and spend money, as the changes are subtle enough that the average user won't notice them. I wasn't saying people shouldn't, and I agree -- I expect that people will be buying new scriptures, myself included.

This link has a download link for a comparison for the D&C & Pearl of Great Price. May be helpful if you are teaching Gospel Doctrine this year:

https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/scriptures/scripture-comparison_eng.pdf

I think it's great the church produced this side by side comparison. When I first heard about the new scriptures this morning the first thing I thought of was all the bloggers, church critics, etc. who would be making their own comparisons of previous to new, but the fact that the church produced it on their own shows that they don't have anything to hide and want to be 100% transparent about the changes. I particularly like the added introductions to the official declarations.

I am glad to see they added more Joseph Smith Translation entries into the Bible. Nothing was changed in the Book of Mormon that I saw except spelling, punctuation, capitals and references. I am in the middle of reading the Book of Mormon again with my kids and I am amazed at the wisdom in that book. This is about my 8th time reading the book as well.

My favorite addition to Declaration 2:

The Book of Mormon teaches that “all are alike unto God,” including “black and white, bond and free, male and female” (2 Nephi 26:33). Throughout the history of the Church, people of every race and ethnicity in many countries have been baptized and have lived as faithful members of the Church. During Joseph Smith’s lifetime, a few black male members of the Church were ordained to the priesthood. Early in its history, Church leaders stopped conferring the priesthood on black males of African descent. Church records offer no clear insights into the origins of this practice. Church leaders believed that a revelation from God was needed to alter this practice and prayerfully sought guidance. The revelation came to Church President Spencer W. Kimball and was affirmed to other Church leaders in the Salt Lake Temple on June 1, 1978. The revelation removed all restrictions with regard to race that once applied to the priesthood.

A thought just occurred to me and I was surprised it didn't make it into this new edition of the scriptures: The Family: A Proclamation to the World and The Living Christ.

I don't know what it takes to get something added to the scriptures, but I'm kinda surprised that it wasn't added.

• 2 weeks later...

A thought just occurred to me and I was surprised it didn't make it into this new edition of the scriptures: The Family: A Proclamation to the World and The Living Christ.

I don't know what it takes to get something added to the scriptures, but I'm kinda surprised that it wasn't added.

My mother had the same thought. Our conclusion on it was that they aren't needed as additions because they are reiterations of doctrine that is already in the scriptures. Dunno for sure though. It is interesting.