What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

The Giver.

I guess it had potential but never quite delivered. I don't know if this came out before or after Divergent (and other similar movies) but it echoed a familiar plot - a colony under strict control - everyone is designated a career (there are only five groups) - the protagonist is given a "special job" because he is exceptional in all career paths, etc. It had some intriguing moments, and the acting was decent enough, but overall it was just totally flat and uninteresting. The ending seemed abrupt and unfulfilled, and in a way that I have little to no interest in watching a sequel if it were to come out.

The Giver.

I guess it had potential but never quite delivered. I don't know if this came out before or after Divergent (and other similar movies) but it echoed a familiar plot - a colony under strict control - everyone is designated a career (there are only five groups) - the protagonist is given a "special job" because he is exceptional in all career paths, etc. It had some intriguing moments, and the acting was decent enough, but overall it was just totally flat and uninteresting. The ending seemed abrupt and unfulfilled, and in a way that I have little to no interest in watching a sequel if it were to come out.

I haven't seen it yet. I'm a bit afraid because the book is a classic (that my fourth grade teacher said would never be a movie because the author wouldn't do the option but apparent Lois Lowery changed her mind. ) I don't know if you ever read the book, but it's rather famous for the cliffhanger ending.

Currently watching The Croods. I like it more every time I watch it.

I haven't seen it yet. I'm a bit afraid because the book is a classic (that my fourth grade teacher said would never be a movie because the author wouldn't do the option but apparent Lois Lowery changed her mind. ) I don't know if you ever read the book, but it's rather famous for the cliffhanger ending.

Currently watching The Croods. I like it more every time I watch it.

Backroads, I haven't read the book but the ending is definitely a cliffhanger. It could be made into a sequel but I'm not sure it'd be worth stretching the plot out. The movie seemed to struggle with what it had.

I feel the same way about the Croods. I don't particularly care for Nicholas Cage and the first couple times I watched it I felt indifferent. But now, I've seen it too many times to count (because of my daughter) and it's really grown on me. Seriously, I bawl every time Grug chucks each family member across the canyon to ride the sun, and that moment he finally isn't afraid to tell his daughter that he loves her. And then there's the scene when he returns to the cave and draws his family on the wall... Tearjerker!

Earth to Echo. Again. I super duper love this movie even when I super duper hate the first-person video capture style of filming.

Hercules. Again. Nothing I can really say about this movie except The Rock is freaky ginormous.... Oh, and she's not Nicole Kidman...

Edited by anatess

The Giver, it was one of my favorite childhood books. My recollection of the book is spotty but it seemed the movie deviated a bit from it. However I have to say I thought it was a good adaptation of the book, certainly got the feelers feeling.

Man, I nearly cried when Jonas learns what's going to happen to Gabe even though I already new.

Blended.

You know what to expect with most Adam Sandler movies. And you either love him or hate him. I'm somewhere in between. Anyway, it wasn't too bad, actually. It's about a widow and a divorcee who are struggling to raise their children without a better half, until the two meet and find common ground, thus bringing two broken families together and becoming "blended". It's pretty clean, as Sandler can get a bit raunchy at times, and it's got some good laughs. I actually teared up a couple times in some of the more sentimental moments. Good enough to watch with the kids at home from RedBox.

Speed.  Manoman... I'm reminded again that Keanu Reeves just can't act.  But this is one of his good acting ones.  But, it still amazes me how he lands all these great movie roles...

Guardians of the Galaxy.  I just love this movie.  I laugh, I cry, I rub my hands together anticipating the next Avengers movie... ahh, great way to spend 2 hours.

Speed.  Manoman... I'm reminded again that Keanu Reeves just can't act.  But this is one of his good acting ones.  But, it still amazes me how he lands all these great movie roles...

'Point Break' was another good one of his-I enjoyed that, and know nothing about surfing :) The dark 'River's Edge' as well, but I'm partial to the 80s. :)

Edited by lonetree

Watched "White Christmas" on a long plane ride yesterday.  What a bore.  Watching it reminded me of that great quote about Mahler music ("you sit down at a Mahler concert, and an hour later you look at your watch and see that only ten minutes have gone by").

I suppose with a bit of creative tampering the plot could have been hammered into something believable, but they shoehorned all kinds of song-and-dance numbers into the movie that had nothing to do with the plot and (with the obvious exception of the finale) had no connection to Christmas whatsoever.

One of the characters was played by an actor (or are we still allowed to say "actress"?) named Vera-Ellen, who had the tiniest waist I've ever seen on a human.  She could have worn a Cheerio.  

'Point Break' was another good one of his-I enjoyed that, and know nothing about surfing :) The dark 'River's Edge' as well, but I'm partial to the 80s. :)

Yeah, I liked that one... well, I like Patrick Swayze.  Hah hah.

There's always Bill & Ted's Adventure...

See what I mean by him getting really lucky with movie roles that make great movies despite of his acting?  :-)

Another one is Nicholas Cage - he can't act worth a pinch.  But even when he's in great movies, I still can't stand him (I actually don't mind Keanu's no-acting-ability in his good movies).  Sorcerer's Apprentice - cringe.  Face Off - cringe.  The Rock - cringe...

Watched "White Christmas" on a long plane ride yesterday.  What a bore.  Watching it reminded me of that great quote about Mahler music ("you sit down at a Mahler concert, and an hour later you look at your watch and see that only ten minutes have gone by").

I suppose with a bit of creative tampering the plot could have been hammered into something believable, but they shoehorned all kinds of song-and-dance numbers into the movie that had nothing to do with the plot and (with the obvious exception of the finale) had no connection to Christmas whatsoever.

One of the characters was played by an actor (or are we still allowed to say "actress"?) named Vera-Ellen, who had the tiniest waist I've ever seen on a human.  She could have worn a Cheerio.  

What a review. You are so right-and thanx for the laugh :D

If you're partial to the song 'White Christmas', best just go straight to 'Holiday Inn', a much more enjoyable film.

Edited by lonetree

Peter Pan Live on TV.

I really wanted the family to sit down and watch this together. Overall cute. You could see all the work that had gone into stage design, props, and synchronizing choreography on moving platforms - it was done well. Unfortunately, wasn't blown away by Christopher Walken's performance, even though I find him extremely talented. The story followed true to the storybook, I'd say. Enjoyable live experience. 

I watched Fred Clause.  Never saw it before but I am pretty "Bah-Humbug!" about Christmas so it resonated with me to watch the pained expression on Vince Vaughn's face as he played the older, jaded, "Why can't you be like your brother Nicolas" sibling to Santa Claus.  Hey according to this movie if you or a sibling achieve Sainthood, you become immortal, as does your immediate family and any spouses that join in.  Sweet deal right?

Finally watched the Bourne Legacy, after years of hearing how it was "really good" and "worthy of the Bourne series" and such. Don't believe it. Not a terrible movie, but absolutely an ersatz Bourne. Watching it was like trying to use Windows 95 after playing on a MacBook for a few days. The same basic elements were present, and occasionally the experience rose to a "not bad" level, but it definitely wasn't the real thing.

Plus, lots of bad language, mostly gratuitous. On the plus side, no sex or nudity, which they could have shoehorned in if they had wanted (like they did other stuff). So maybe I have to give them some credit for offensive things they didn't include.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic