When you don't recognize a phone number...

Backroads

...what to you do?

This is prompted by a Facebook discussion. Is it polite to answer the phone no matter the number whenever possible (so we're not dragging in inappropriate cell phone behavior here) or is it okay to ignore, at least temporarily, a number you don't recognize? If you miss a call from an unrecognized number, do you call back?

I'm the type that believes voice mail exists for a reason and I like screening my calls. I rarely answer a phone call from a strange number and I usually only call back missed calls that bother to leave a message applicable to me. I know other people believe it's rude to not answer the phone and to not call back a missed call even from a strange number.

Where do you lie on the spectrum?

I don't answer calls from a number I don't know. I have voicemail. If it is important enough, they will leave a message and I can call back at my convenience.

I'm proud that I can say that my phone is not attached to my hand as I see so many.

I ignore numbers I don't recognise and to be honest, I'm really bad about calling back even when a message is left. People that know me, know, if you want an instant response - text or message me - but a missed call or voicemail may never get a response back. I know I'm bad. DH answers unknown numbers because of his business.

I don't pick up my phone just because it rang. Regardless of whether I recognize the number or not. I only pick it up if at that particular moment I have nothing better to do than talk to the person on the other end of the line.

I don't call back people - even if I recognize the number - unless I need to talk to you or you leave a message telling me you need me to call you back.

Like LM, my phone is not my master. But it's not my servant either. It's simply another tool for me to aid me in accomplishing what I need to accomplish.

I screen calls, too. Despite being on the "do-not-call" list some calls still get through. people who want to talk will leave a message. If you are a person I like or need to talk to frequently, or occasionally urgently (like my dad's dr.s) I will put your number into my contact list so your name will be announced with the call.

My cell phone gets crappy reception where we live, and that's my excuse to keep from offending people.

I don't know if you're in a remote area or just have lousy service, but this makes me think about my husband's nature.

Now, he is the kind that will answer the phone if at all possible and will call back all numbers. He was raised in the middle of nowhere, and I wonder if calls were vital growing up (His parents have the town's first telephone in their house complete with a small list of four-digit numbers for various folks in the community). As in, you wouldn't get a call unless it was a big deal.

I never answer calls from numbers I don't know - that's what voice mail is for.

I don't answer when its someone I know if I don't feel like talking to them at the moment.

Sorry but its my time and my phone - I'll use it how I choose.

Preach it!!! I agree! We don't need to be 100% accessible. I don't need to answer the phone in the middle of whatever I am doing just because it rings.

...what to you do?

This is prompted by a Facebook discussion. Is it polite to answer the phone no matter the number whenever possible (so we're not dragging in inappropriate cell phone behavior here) or is it okay to ignore, at least temporarily, a number you don't recognize? If you miss a call from an unrecognized number, do you call back?

I'm the type that believes voice mail exists for a reason and I like screening my calls. I rarely answer a phone call from a strange number and I usually only call back missed calls that bother to leave a message applicable to me. I know other people believe it's rude to not answer the phone and to not call back a missed call even from a strange number.

Where do you lie on the spectrum?

There are many times I do not answer my phone. For example I do not answer my phone during a strenuous and difficult climb when cycling. I also do not answer if I am already talking to someone on my phone and another call comes in. I work as a consultant and I tell my clients that if I do not answer and it is important to leave a message on voice mail or they may text and I will respond in a timely manner.

Also since I travel a lot - there are sometimes hours when I am on a flight that I cannot be reached directly. But I do make an effort - even to sales individuals or others that leave a text or message - to respond - even if I have no intention of granting their request - I feel it common courtesy to be clear about my dealing - even if my response is no to a free cruse in the Bahamas.

The Traveler

By the way - the cellphone is the teen's latest addiction. My 12-year-old made the mistake of sending a text message at dinner last night. I took his phone and told him he can't have it back until morning. He whined all night asking me if he can just look at his messages - he's not going to respond, promise... or if he can just check instagram really quick... or if he can just do this or that or the other. It's like he went on withdrawals! So, I told him when he gets out of school tomorrow, the phone is going back to my room. It's like his world just collapsed around him.

By the way - the cellphone is the teen's latest addiction. My 12-year-old made the mistake of sending a text message at dinner last night. I took his phone and told him he can't have it back until morning. He whined all night asking me if he can just look at his messages - he's not going to respond, promise... or if he can just check instagram really quick... or if he can just do this or that or the other. It's like he went on withdrawals! So, I told him when he gets out of school tomorrow, the phone is going back to my room. It's like his world just collapsed around him.

This is important to acknowledge and not just for teens. There was a poll asking parents if they continue to text or mess on their phone when their child tries to talk to them. Many admitted that they did.

I see that with teens and those in early 20's. I see that with my own kids and my nieces. No matter where we are, they have that phone out and constantly looking at it.

Unfortunately, I've seen the most extreme cases with older people. I think it's more rare for them to have the addiction, but it seems to be worse for those who are addicted. My siblings and I have had to physically remove my mom's cell phone from her hands when we are trying to have a conversation with her--that she initiated.

Back to the op - If I don't recognize who's calling, I ignore it and never call back unless they've left a message. If I do recognize the number, I sometimes let it go to the answering machine unless I know what they're calling about. Drives my husband crazy but he's adapted.

For the record, I don't like people showing up unannounced either and have my husband answer the door to deal with it.

Back in the day before everyone had cellphones, & when caller-id on the wired phone cost like $8/month .... we had this contraption referred to as an answering machine.

We RARELY would answer the phone. Either they'd call back or leave a message for us to ignore!

These days, I rarely answer the phone if I don't recognize the number. & even if I do recognize who is calling I frequently send it to voice mail.

& Yep! I still ignore most the voice mails people leave me! ... now if they send me a text or an e-mail, I almost always respond. Maybe it has something to do with "scatterbrain syndrome" where verbal things get forgotten almost immediately & written things are there to review & respond to later.

Depends on my mood. One time at work I answered. Heh heh heh...some moron tried to tell me he was a detective with the police. I was unsuccessful in convincing him to come meet me.

I wouldn't come to meet you either. OH wait...I am this Saturday. :)

It depends. The home phone doesn't have caller ID, so all calls are from unrecognized numbers. If I'm expecting a call I'll answer, otherwise I let the answering machine screen my calls. If I'm near the answering machine, it plays the message as it is recording, I'll listen in at the start to see if it is someone I know or a message I'm interested in taking and pick up before they finish with their message. With a cell phone since I can see the phone number I can distinguish numbers. I mostly go by if I'm expecting a call from what might be an unrecognized number, if I'm not expecting such a call I'll tend to let it go to voice mail.

Concerning call backs, I'll call back provided:

• You actually leave a message, unless you are family I'm not going to call you back just because you are on my missed calls list.
  • The nature of the message needs a call back.
  • If it's my home phone you better have left a call back number, or enough information for me to easily find it. The bank can get away with saying, "This is Bob from Chase calling concerning a fraud alert." Unless I recognize your voice (and know your name) you won't be able to get away with, "Hey, this is John. I need to coordinate our schedules."
  • If it is my cell phone, you need to identify yourself even if a number isn't as necessary. If you aren't in my contacts list then I'll have no clue who you are and that greatly diminishes the chances of a callback even with a message.

Edited by Dravin

I have not read the whole thread.

Just recently on the news here in Utah they warned about answering calls from numbers you don't know. People are getting scammed without doing anything other than answer the call. I can't remember the area codes they warned about. People were getting huge phone bills just from answering a call.

Even before the news I didn't answer calls from unknown numbers. My husband and kids say I never answer my phone when they call so every time it rings I see if its one of them. LOL It isn't them more often than not. I also have a grandchild in school, so its important to get calls from the school timely. So... I don't ignore incoming calls completely. I just don't answer the ones I don't know.

Just recently on the news here in Utah they warned about answering calls from numbers you don't know. People are getting scammed without doing anything other than answer the call. I can't remember the area codes they warned about. People were getting huge phone bills just from answering a call.

That is amazing. How is this done?

I have not read the whole thread.

Even before the news I didn't answer calls from unknown numbers. My husband and kids say I never answer my phone when they call so every time it rings I see if its one of them. LOL It isn't them more often than not. I also have a grandchild in school, so its important to get calls from the school timely. So... I don't ignore incoming calls completely. I just don't answer the ones I don't know.

Police warn against phone scam coming from 473 area code | FOX13Now.com