This new forum....

Windseeker

(Moderator hat on for a moment)

Guys, feedback on the forum and alerts as to bugs/glitches are obviously welcome; but let\'s be careful not to let that get personal. There are some near-herculean efforts going on to get things streamlined here; and if you think our tech team is missing something please feel free to offer specific, constructive suggestions.

Oh how I miss the new posts link.

New site is fun though. As some may have noticed, I decided with the changed site to change my username. Church was just too confusing in sentences addressed to me about the church talking to church that church says the church said go to church church.

I like the thread preview function, so you can go to the first post... or the last post.

As for changing usernames... I was kinda getting tired of "skippy" and the 740 was in reference to an address I was at that didn't have a lot of fond memories.

So I changed it to my moniker that I use on other forums, and now I can't change it again.  Oh well.  I snuck it in!  :)

Minor peeve:  The "directory path" at the bottom of the page that shows what sub-forum the current thread belongs to--could we that get the same thing put at the top of the page too, like the old forum had?

I agree with this one.  I find it annoying to have to scroll to the bottom or click forums again and go through the entire process again.

Just posted a response on another thread... and I miss being able to take a post, and "quote it apart".  Before, you would just type ( quote = username ) and (/quote) to separate out the post.  Then it was easier to address various parts of it.

I was able to do a copy/paste within a new 'quote' function... but it doesn't show who said it.

No idea how to fix it.  Just wanted to bring it up.

Just posted a response on another thread... and I miss being able to take a post, and "quote it apart".  Before, you would just type ( quote = username ) and (/quote) to separate out the post.  Then it was easier to address various parts of it.

You mean..

I was able to do a copy/paste within a new 'quote' function... but it doesn't show who said it.

You have a problem...

No idea how to fix it.  Just wanted to bring it up.

Doing this?

Nope... its a learning curve issue.

I did it by using the multiquote button on your post three times.  And then cutting out the parts I didn't need in each quote.

Its not as easy as it was before. And it can be hard for very long posts with multiple responses, but it is doable.

Another suggestion:  On my desktop (Win XP running Firefox), the menu to the left (blackmenu with "Forums", "Members", and "Calendar") floats over the actual messages and reply box as I scroll down, and gets irritating after a while.  Can that be fixed?

Nope... its a learning curve issue.

I did it by using the multiquote button on your post three times.  And then cutting out the parts I didn't need in each quote.

Don't even need that.  Just use the "quote" feature once to start your reply; then you can create new quote boxes inside the composition box (it's the button with the little speech balloon) and you can copy/paste selections from the original quote box into the new quote boxes.

(By the way, the feature where quoting an earlier post automatically links back to the post being quoted is very snazzy.)

Its not as easy as it was before. And it can be hard for very long posts with multiple responses, but it is doable.

Not too much harder; it's just that it seems we can't directly access the html code for that particular feature anymore.

Don't have a solid opinion on the new site, yet. I appreciate the splash of colour that's been added but I agree that there's too much white space, and that can be a bit heavy on the eyes... The navigation is easy enough so far.

I have noticed that all my "friends" are now just "one friend"... Does this mean that we will have to reconnect with everyone again? I just have MormonMama now, which is cool, but I miss some of my other friends :(

Also - is it possible to log in directly from the forums; or do I have to go back to the LDS.net main page whenever I want to log in?

You'll have to go the the main page.  Sorry. 

Well, I suppose I can live with that if the site quits logging me out every time I close my browser.  ;)

Oh man...deal with it dude...takes a couple of seconds.  :)

As for changing usernames... I was kinda getting tired of "skippy" and the 740 was in reference to an address I was at that didn't have a lot of fond memories.

So I changed it to my moniker that I use on other forums, and now I can't change it again.  Oh well.  I snuck it in!   :)

Skippy made you sound all happy and, you know, "skippy". DK and the shield-like star makes you seem stern and scary. Funny how names and avatars can actually affect perception of people and posts.

As for me, I think "church" made me sound self-righteous. I'm not sure that "The Folk Prophet" does any better. (I'm also fairly certain that some would view me as self-righteous regardless of my moniker.) Of course neither of those names has anything to do with religion, but are entirely coincidental (church was a childhood nickname that came from the misspelling of Chuck, and Folk Prophet was the name of my college band). My purpose in changing (as I stated somewhere) was in the confusion I felt bound to happen whereas the church is mentioned constantly in these forums. 

I can see it being problematic to have names changed from a certain point of view though. I mean, it took me a while to figure out that you were good-ol' skippy740. I honestly thought, "Hey, look. A Senior Moderator has gotten involved again because of the site change." Then I saw your signature.