I'm Sorry Everybody...

mirkwood

I have a hatred of Halloween that has developed over the last 20 years and continues to grow.

Being a single mom when my children were very small, Halloween and the thought of costumes were extremely stressful for me.  Money was so tight.  And we lived in an area that was a bit more affluent than others. (I was the poor one in that neighborhood)  So that added stress to what was already stressful to me.  One of the kickers was going to my children's elementary school for their "Halloween parade" and sitting behind other mothers who were rating each costume on a scale of 1-10.  My children got a low rating.  I was just mortified.  Yet I did the best I could do under the circumstances.

Now working at Hobby Lobby in the fabric department, it just is appalling to me to see how much time and how much money is spent on costumes for Halloween.  I mean, some people have spent $300+ on some of the fabric and trims and other accessories for their costume.  I just find it totally ridiculous.  

I HATE Halloween.  It just holds really bad memories for me.

I dressed up as a cowboy or clown or whatever and went trick-or-treating as a child, and have fond memories of doing so. My own children do the same. I have also gone to adult (LDS) Halloween parties, which I considered harmless and enjoyable.

That said, count me as one of those dour souls who think Halloween in its current American implementation is just plain weird. Children going door-to-door begging candy is one thing, equal parts charming and bizarre. But the sort of worship of the horrific and occultic aspects of Halloween is all bizarreness and no charm. As seems always to happen whenever adult interest in something waxes strong, sexual themes and perversions have entered into Halloween, so that e.g. we have "Sexy [insert occupation or stereotype]" as a type -- Sexy Nurse, Sexy Witch, Sexy Rotting Corpse. At some point, the tongue-in-cheek irony ceases to be ironic and is instead embraced. It's just weird, and not "good weird".

As long as Halloween is an innocent and silly time of children playing dress-up and trick-or-treating, I think it's a fun thing. When it becomes a virtual celebration of death, decay, horror, and perversion (sexual themes mixed in with those others), then it's not worth our time and should be rejected.

Vort, I totally agree.

Halloween is the favorite holiday of several of my adult children.  I, personally don't get it.  I don't mind the trick-or-treating, or even the costumes (as long as they are not extreme) for the kids.  Now, there are Halloween parties for adults and the adults get all dressed up in expensive costumes.  It's become a big holiday!  The homes are decked out in expensive displays.  I used to put up a few decals on the window when my kids were young, but that's about it.  IMO, Halloween has become a "Nightmare"!

Across the road from me, a family has decorated the front of their house with orange and black streamers, a small hanging witch or two, toy spiders, fake web and cornstalks. I like it and contrast it with some front yard 'displays' that have gruesome depictions of severed limbs and heads. Did this all start with John Carpenter? or was it happening before that? I wonder. As for visual arts; (more specifically TV) I was a young person in the seventies, and find the Hallowe'en episode of the series 'Freaks And Geeks' and the 2nd season Hallowe'en one of 'Happy Days'* faithful in some respects to what I remember(hey I watch a lot of tv:)). 

*of course the series had more than one Hallowe'en episode-the one referred to is notable as well for the last appearance of Linda Purl :wub:

Edited by lonetree

I guess I fall between the idea's presented in this thread. I like Halloween, the costumes are fun. I enjoyed some of the displays at houses on our blocks. There were a few haunted porches that were fun, some a little too scary for my niece and nephew (masks really freak them out)

There was a clown riding around our neighborhood with balloons. There was a super creepy clown walking around. The kids enjoyed it all (the niece has a thing about clowns too, the face paint I guess scares her).

Our kids dressed up as a zebra, a monkey, an elephant, a creeper from the game minecraft (he snuck up on all the kids dressed as steve from minecraft and exploded, it was funny), and princess Sophia from a cartoon. They loved it, if my Wife and I were more on our game we were going to dress as zoo keepers and get all of the kids as zoo animals but it didn't happen.

I guess I fall between the idea's presented in this thread. I like Halloween, the costumes are fun. I enjoyed some of the displays at houses on our blocks. There were a few haunted porches that were fun, some a little too scary for my niece and nephew (masks really freak them out)

There was a clown riding around our neighborhood with balloons. There was a super creepy clown walking around. The kids enjoyed it all (the niece has a thing about clowns too, the face paint I guess scares her).

Our kids dressed up as a zebra, a monkey, an elephant, a creeper from the game minecraft (he snuck up on all the kids dressed as steve from minecraft and exploded, it was funny), and princess Sophia from a cartoon. They loved it, if my Wife and I were more on our game we were going to dress as zoo keepers and get all of the kids as zoo animals but it didn't happen.

I'm ambivalent about clowns. In recent years 'clowning' seems to have fallen on hard times. Sometimes I wish there were more about on Halloween and other occasions, because if it's done right, they are among the most vivid and memorable of costumes & personalities. This article in 'The Telegraph' sums up my feelings pretty well:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10730700/Tears-of-the-clowns-who-are-out-of-a-job.html

Edited by lonetree