The New Improved LDS.net Website

David13

The new improved system constantly logs me out after each visit to the forum, on two computers.  I guess it was not ALL New and Improved.

Only partially.

dc

Yes, I know there is a box to check.  I always check the box.  Just about every forum in the world has a box to check.  I always check the box.

I do know one website where you don't have to check the box, you just always are logged in when you return, but those are real smart computer guys on that website.

Edited by David13

Are you on a desktop/laptop or on your phone?  What browser?

Also, whenever I leave the site and then return to it, all I have to do is click on the "login" button at the top right of the screen. It then automatically "recognizes" me and logs me in without me having to actually type in my username/password.

One rather ugly problem is in posting.  When I copy a post from youtube, and paste it here, it leaves a "shadow" surrounding either the entire text, or each line of the text.

You can see examples in my thread youtube apologetics on my latest posts.

I also have a problem with it logging me out using Chrome on a PC

Finally in the posting, when I do a return it does two lines instead of one line, as in this post..

23 minutes ago, cdowis said:

Finally in the posting, when I do a return it does two lines instead of one line, as in this post..

It's not two lines; it is a separation between paragraphs. I like it. The only problem is all the old posts (pre-this-site-incarnation) show a large gap between paragraphs. But soon enough, that will not be an issue.

If you don't want a space between paragraphs, use Shift-Enter instead of just Enter.

6 hours ago, David13 said:

The new improved system constantly logs me out after each visit to the forum, on two computers.  I guess it was not ALL New and Improved.

Only partially.

dc

Yes, I know there is a box to check.  I always check the box.  Just about every forum in the world has a box to check.  I always check the box.

I do know one website where you don't have to check the box, you just always are logged in when you return, but those are real smart computer guys on that website.

Thank you so much for such positive comments on a site that charges you nothing to use. You have managed to completely insult our tech people who have spent months and months working on this.  They tested and tested it before the actual upgrade.  Unfortunately many things were not discovered or did not appear until it actually went live.

1 hour ago, Maureen said:

Has anyone else noticed that they have fewer posts than before. With the old forum I was getting close to 6400 posts; this forum says that I have 4600 posts. Why?

M.

The only thing I can think about this Maureen is this.  For several months I've been tasked with cleaning out old threads that were no longer relevant.  Many from several years ago.  I know at the time when I deleted a thread it didn't lower the post count that each person had that contributed to those threads.  With the new upgrade it calculated the number of posts that each person did.  The count that you see now is the actual count of how many posts you have made to threads that are still existing on the forums.

9 hours ago, David13 said:

Only partially.

dc

I remember with the last upgrade there were a number of glitches.  Most of them were fixed.  I'm sure as time goes on the glitches will be fixed with this upgrade as well.  We all need a little patience.

Any new software has to be used before all the bugs are found and fixed. Case in point, how many Microsoft updates does your computer run monthly? Bug fixes.

Edited by Eowyn

7 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

Any new software has to be used before all the bugs are found and fixed. Case I point, how many Microsoft updates does your computer run monthly? Bug fixes.

And it can be very very hard to have a valid test environment one that will behave the same way as the "live" site...  Which appears to be the case here.  That will compound the problem

6 hours ago, estradling75 said:

And it can be very very hard to have a valid test environment one that will behave the same way as the "live" site...

Actually, it's impossible, because even if you replicate production (or build on a new server and then make the new server production), you CANNOT replicate all the users of a public website.  There are (off the top of my head):

• Various operating systems (brands and versions)
  • Various web browsers (brands and versions)
  • Various plugins for those browsers (e.g. I stop Javascript libraries from running unless I explicitly allow them - no one but me knows which ones I do / don't allow)
  • Various languages of those operating systems and browsers and plug-ins
  • Various hardware combinations (yes, at least in theory, your hardware can impact how all that runs)
  • Various ISPs and networking hardware (yes, at least in theory, your ISP and networking hardware could impact this)

There's just no way to know everything that's going to happen when a public site goes live.  I'd say that once they got past the migration difficulties, the upgrade is pretty good.

Thanks to the team! :clap:

And we still have the best emoticon: :crackup:

15 hours ago, Vort said:

I think you should double his access fee. Then he'll be sorry.

I would have paid double the access fee from the beginning anyway.  I am on many many forums where I pay.  As it stands I am indeed paying the required fee, aren't I?

The truth may hurt, but shouldn't be considered an insult.  It wasn't meant to be here.

It's still logging me out every time. 

dc

I took the OP to just be saying there is a glitch/problem since the new software was installed  ... and is admin aware of it? I don't see it as an insult.

I actually started to post the same type of message asking if it was a glitch/problem that admin was aware of or if it was just me as I just update my OS to WIN10. But, I see others have the issue too.

I may have found a little issue with the forum too... but, in fear of being accused of something I will just leave it alone and see if it works itself out.

:mellow:

19 hours ago, David13 said:

...The truth may hurt, but shouldn't be considered an insult.  It wasn't meant to be here...

I think Pam is taking issue with your comment:

...but those are real smart computer guys on that website.

Insinuating that the computer guys running these forums are not smart.

Is that what you meant David?

M.

Edited by Maureen

On 2/16/2016 at 5:26 PM, David13 said:

Only partially.

dc

I don't think the remember me function is fully functioning yet. it seems to log me out after a certain amount of time.

Guest LiterateParakeet
30 minutes ago, Blackmarch said:

I don't think the remember me function is fully functioning yet. it seems to log me out after a certain amount of time.

i don't think that is the website.  I haven't been logged out on either my phone or my computer for ages (before or after the upgrade.)

Those who are having this problem could try deleting all the cookies from LDS.net to see if that helps.  (Be warned, this has the potential to: remove settings / preferences; remove memory of what threads you have / have not read; remove stored login / auto-login settings; etc.  Basically, plan on (potentially) re-configuring all your settings / preferences for the site.)  No guarantee it would work, but it's what I would do if the site were logging me out without me telling it to.

On 2/16/2016 at 11:26 AM, David13 said:

Only partially.

dc

With all the problems with the new software, I'm wondering where the "improved" part will start.

11 minutes ago, Jojo Bags said:

Yup.  However, it will take me forever to learn it.

It's good for your brain to learn new things :) (even though it's hard to give up the longing for the old, easy, familiar way).  And perspective really does change the difficulty of things (even if only on an emotional level).

Meanwhile, I haven't played tag since grade school, and I'm feeling an irrational need for someone to tag me now! :lol:

On 2/25/2016 at 10:55 PM, zil said:

I haven't played tag since grade school

@zilI've found another improvement. It used to be if you wanted to only quote a little snippet (like the above) then you would quote the entire thing and delete what you don't want. Now you can simply highlight the contiguous text you want to keep and click the "quote this" tooltip that appears.

Also, you're it.

Edited by mordorbund