Are Women In The Church Upset They Do Not Currently Have The Priesthoo

StrawberryFields

The amount of talk we have currently have going on about this subject seems pointless to me. I am wondering if I am a minority on the way I feel about this.

I have a question. True or False.

"Women in the LDS Church are upset that they do not currently have the Priesthood"

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for anyone else, of course, but when I was LDS I wouldn't have felt comfortable saying that I had a problem with women not holding the priesthood. I dare say there are women who wouldn't voice their opinion on this. To do so is saying that you don't believe the prophet is 'of God', which would basically be apostasy.

Just saying that your poll results may not be very accurate.

Edited to add the word NOT, which was necessary to make my point. Also, I would say that most happy, active LDS women don't have a problem with it. It's the ones who are questioning certain issues... and I know there are many of those questioning women because I know some personally.

The amount of talk we have currently have going on about this subject seems pointless to me. I am wondering if I am a minority on the way I feel about this.

"Women in the LDS Church are upset that they do not currently have the Priesthood"

FALSE...when speaking of the vast majority.

<div class='quotemain'>

How do you know? Are you a woman?

Elphaba

I can't remember how, but I had an institute teacher that explained to us that when we're married we basically almost "complete" our husband's priesthood (this is all very paraphrased). If anyone wants me to elaborate I can.

My vote is false cuz as a woman, I know I have many other blessings, and the guys deserve at least one don't they? :P

Good Heavens I am glad I don't have the preisthood! To me the priesthood is a HUGE responsibility and I take it very seriously. I for one am glad I have the blessings that come to me as a woman. We are caught up in a society that tells us as women that we ahould be able do everything that men can. If that were the case shouldn't we all be be men? (perish the thought!) There isn't anything wrong with having different callings in life. Motherhood is just as important as holding the priesthood. Women can receive all the blessings from the preisthood that a man can. It isn't about being equal and having the same "rights". Besides, if that were the case we'd all have a lot less children in the world if the guys had the "right" to experince child birth :lol:

My take on it is, we don't know why things are the way they are. All I know is that HF knows more than any of us and why question the one who knows everything?

As an Endowed, Married-Sealed in the Temple wife, I already hold the priesthold in tandem with my Endowed, Married-Sealed in the Temple husband.

For all of you women who are so quick to repeat the oft repeated thus it is now such a cliche - "I have enough responsibilites and I don't want the preisthood" - maybe you should go do some more Initiatory's and this time pay real close attention to what all is being said. Then do a couple endowment sessions and pay even closer attention.

The endowed/sealed in marriage women in the church DO have the preisthood.

Good Heavens I am glad I don't have the preisthood! To me the priesthood is a HUGE responsibility and I take it very seriously. I for one am glad I have the blessings that come to me as a woman. We are caught up in a society that tells us as women that we ahould be able do everything that men can. If that were the case shouldn't we all be be men? (perish the thought!) There isn't anything wrong with having different callings in life. Motherhood is just as important as holding the priesthood. Women can receive all the blessings from the preisthood that a man can. It isn't about being equal and having the same "rights". Besides, if that were the case we'd all have a lot less children in the world if the guys had the "right" to experince child birth :lol:

My take on it is, we don't know why things are the way they are. All I know is that HF knows more than any of us and why question the one who knows everything?

:clap:

April,

What is your problem? You don't know MORE than the Prophets and Apostles? You are content with letting HF decide things? You don't want to complain that you are a downtrodden, misunderstood woman that has a RIGHT to the PH?

I just don't get you! :D

And that wasn't a poke at the majority of the posters. Just a few...

As an Endowed, Married-Sealed in the Temple wife, I already hold the priesthold in tandem with my Endowed, Married-Sealed in the Temple husband.

For all of you women who are so quick to repeat the oft repeated thus it is now such a cliche - "I have enough responsibilites and I don't want the preisthood" - maybe you should go do some more Initiatory's and this time pay real close attention to what all is being said. Then do a couple endowment sessions and pay even closer attention.

Hey Iggy,

I'm curious: how do you exercise your PH?

I think you are correct in a way, in that THRU my PH my wife is blessed, but I don't think that anytime soon she'll be asked to bless the sacrament, baptize someone, give a blessing, etc.

I'd like you to clarify what you mean. Are you stating you can do the above, or simply that thru your righteous husband you are blessed with the PH?

Thanks.

In 1914, at the first General Council of the Assemblies of God, one-third of the ministers present were women. We have affirmed the role of women in ministry from our inception. Today, that figure is around 8%. I believe our stance is Scriptural, but culturally, most of us still prefer male leadership. The woman who rises to top leadership--especially in a religious setting, is usually a uniquely gifted individual indeed.

The link below is to a church with one such lady. She not only planted a successful multicultural church, but has risen in leadership amongst her fellow clergy.

http://www.nl-fl.org/our_pastor.htm

Hey Iggy,

I think you are correct in a way, in that THROUGH my PH my wife is blessed, but I don't think that anytime soon she'll be asked to bless the sacrament, baptize someone, give a blessing, etc.

I'd like you to clarify what you mean. Are you stating you can do the above, or simply that through your righteous husband you are blessed with the PH?

Thanks.

Answer me this Six, what happens when there are no men in the church - lets say they are ill, wounded, dead - and the women gather together on Sunday for church. Should all those women and young children be bereft of the healing and blessings of the sacrament? No - in cases such as those, the endowed women can bless and pass the sacrament can they not??

When my husband was in the hospital I could not reach the Brethren to come bless him. His blood was not clotting and he was bleeding out. He could not and should never bless himself - I laid hands on him and called upon Father for a priesthood blessing upon him. Is this not what you men do when you bless the sick????

When I received my endowments I was single, I called upon Father for a priesthood blessing upon my home. I asked Father for the protection and blessings of the priesthood. Is this not what you men do????

When I received my endowments and when I was sealed to my husband I was empowered with gift of the holy priesthood. I do not use it in the same frequency as the men do - I feel that I hold it in a more sacred light. I know the power of this priesthood and there is no way I would ever be cavalier in my usage of it.

I use it in tandem with my husband AND I do so in righteousness. I have never had the brethren lay hands on me and endow me with the Aaronic or Melchezedik priesthood - through my endowment I have been given the power of the priesthood to use in tandem with my husband who holds the priesthood.

Are you crazy lol :blink: Life is to stressful just being a mom, why would I wanna stress myself out just to push womans rights..So I can ontain more work :idea:

:hmmm: Naaaa..... Let's leave it be lol B)

This is in line with what I understand as well Iggy - personally I view many of my responsibilities as a wife and mother as exercising that priesthood. Its very difficult to discuss too much of what I understand about it because of the Temple ordinances being sacred but that is what I got out my talk with the Temple Matron and to what is said in the ceremonies. There was also the instant when I realised my husbands priesthood became more full when we were sealed.

Chastity is so vital because creation, giving birth, taking care of children is so intrinsically linked to the priesthood. I value the fact that my husband magnifys his priesthood but he cannot fully do that without me.

So no I don't miss having the priesthood like Iggy its part of my everyday life - I do appreciate having it in my home but my Father in Heaven also holds on it and so does my Savour I have access to it 24/7 - my husbands is just that bit more special because its part of the power that binds us for eternity

-Charley

I think you are correct in a way, in that THRU my PH my wife is blessed, but I don't think that anytime soon she'll be asked to bless the sacrament, baptize someone, give a blessing, etc.

I'd like you to clarify what you mean. Are you stating you can do the above, or simply that thru your righteous husband you are blessed with the PH?

Thanks.

This is a discussion that you should really have with your wife in the Celestial Room the same day she has done initiatories, I think you would learn a lot about the Priesthood and how without her what you have is incomplete.

-Charley

<div class='quotemain'>

Hey Iggy,

I think you are correct in a way, in that THROUGH my PH my wife is blessed, but I don't think that anytime soon she'll be asked to bless the sacrament, baptize someone, give a blessing, etc.

I'd like you to clarify what you mean. Are you stating you can do the above, or simply that through your righteous husband you are blessed with the PH?

Thanks.

Answer me this Six, what happens when there are no men in the church - lets say they are ill, wounded, dead - and the women gather together on Sunday for church. Should all those women and young children be bereft of the healing and blessings of the sacrament? No - in cases such as those, the endowed women can bless and pass the sacrament can they not??

When my husband was in the hospital I could not reach the Brethren to come bless him. His blood was not clotting and he was bleeding out. He could not and should never bless himself - I laid hands on him and called upon Father for a priesthood blessing upon him. Is this not what you men do when you bless the sick????

When I received my endowments I was single, I called upon Father for a priesthood blessing upon my home. I asked Father for the protection and blessings of the priesthood. Is this not what you men do????

When I received my endowments and when I was sealed to my husband I was empowered with gift of the holy priesthood. I do not use it in the same frequency as the men do - I feel that I hold it in a more sacred light. I know the power of this priesthood and there is no way I would ever be cavalier in my usage of it.

I use it in tandem with my husband AND I do so in righteousness. I have never had the brethren lay hands on me and endow me with the Aaronic or Melchezedik priesthood - through my endowment I have been given the power of the priesthood to use in tandem with my husband who holds the priesthood.

So. which authority do you state as having during your 'blessings'? Do you claim to have the MP?

Prayer is available to all of HF's children, and he will hear and answer those. The PH is not.

I had this conversation with my SIL recently before he blessed his son, my grandson. I told him that this wasn't a prayer, it was a blessing. IOW, don't say "HF, we ask you to bless XXXX with...." but rather "XXX, we bless you to..." A completely different thing.

Women do not have nor can they exercise PH authority. I understand that without my wife I am incomplete, but I don't think that my PH is incomplete in any way. What about missionaries? They hold the MP, they bless, they baptize, etc. They ain't married (at least the young ones aren't).

God hears the pleas of his righteous and unrighteous children. But to act in an office which is not held, i.e., the PH, is not okay. And I'm not so sure about this whole 'can bless the sacrament if all the men are dead or gone'. If that were the case, then why take the sacrament to the shut in women? Just let them bless their own sacrament, since they hold the PH.

I'm just not getting this. I don't know where you guys come off thinking you hold the PH...

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Hey Iggy,

Thanks.

So. which authority do you state as having during your 'blessings'? Do you claim to have the MP?

Prayer is available to all of HF's children, and he will hear and answer those. The PH is not.

I had this conversation with my SIL recently before he blessed his son, my grandson. I told him that this wasn't a prayer, it was a blessing. IOW, don't say "HF, we ask you to bless XXXX with...." but rather "XXX, we bless you to..." A completely different thing.

Women do not have nor can they exercise PH authority. I understand that without my wife I am incomplete, but I don't think that my PH is incomplete in any way. What about missionaries? They hold the MP, they bless, they baptize, etc. They ain't married (at least the young ones aren't).

God hears the pleas of his righteous and unrighteous children. But to act in an office which is not held, i.e., the PH, is not okay. And I'm not so sure about this whole 'can bless the sacrament if all the men are dead or gone'. If that were the case, then why take the sacrament to the shut in women? Just let them bless their own sacrament, since they hold the PH.

I'm just not getting this. I don't know where you guys come off thinking you hold the PH...

OK there is so much here we can't discuss and you know that or should - you are putting Iggy in a very difficult position. The priesthood is so much more than just ordinances. I have just asked my husband if Sisters have different initiatories to the Brethren and he doesn't know, like I say its something you should only discuss in the walls of the temple. Its an incredibly deep issue of which I suspect everyone is at different levels of understanding. This is rhetorical but who performs initiatories in the temple? Next time you are there pay attention to the eternal position of the Sisters. Look at what they actually do when they are there. There is also a part of the ceremonies that makes it very obvious that we form part of that unit, your priesthood is complete without your wife in a mortal sense but eternally there is an awful lot more to that priesthood you hold, baptisms etc only just scratch the surface.

I know there are very specific occasions when we can as endowed and sealed worthy women can call on the priesthood our husband holds. The early history of LDS women makes this very clear - women use the priesthood less now because we have no need to do so in the majority of circumstances.

-Charley

GAIA:

I don't think all women -- even all LDS women -- can be put into a single category and have their attitudes divined in that way.

Women, like men, are individuals, with individual (and varying) attitudes, thoughts, feelings, analyses, opinions, etc.

With all due respect, The very effort to homogenize them all into one single group and then distill out a single feeling or attitude seems disrespectful and trivializing itself --

LIke - "Hurry, let's demonstrate / prove how alike we all are, so we don't have to admit or recognize (let alone understand) differing views...."

I think the more we try to understand each other, the better, don't you?

~Gaia

I found this on Ask.com:

SALT LAKE CITY -- Newly called LDS Church Relief Society President Mary Ellen W. Smoot has three specific goals for Mormon women during her five years as leader of the faith's adult female members.

"We need to learn to be happy in the era of life we are in," she said Aug. 1 in an interview with the Standard-Examiner conducted in her office in the Relief Society Building in Salt Lake City.

But she said the sisters in the church need to make the best of the time in which they are living.

Thirdly, Smoot wants Mormon women to be happy, and set that example for other women in the world.

"I don't see women in the world as happy women," she said. "We need to learn to be happy women."

Smoot's schedule has changed drastically. She now travels across the United States and in other countries to conduct training for women in Relief Societies throughout the church. In the five months since she's been called, Smoot has traveled to 13 countries.

Although only a five-month veteran of the job, Smoot wasn't afraid to talk about some of the controversial issues surrounding the church, such as women holding the priesthood.

"I don't think our women want the priesthood," she said.

And even if they do, she said, that principle is not going to change.

"You cannot change the Savior's church," Smoot said.

She said other churches who change their doctrines to suit changing times "water down their effectiveness."

"We need to strive to do what is right within the realm of possibility," Smoot said.

Smoot and her counselors meet with the First Presidency occasionally, but are primarily overseen by Elders Dallin H. Oaks and Robert D. Hales.

So, apparently, the Pres of the RS is 1) ignorant of the enlightenment that some on this board have rec'd; or 2) just parroting what Pres Hinckley and those other chauvanistic men want her to say; or 3) correct in her statement about what the majority of the women in the church believe (unless, of course, she also has been duped and is stating the 'party line'), and understands the way the Savior's church works.

You guys can quibble all day about why you believe such and such, but here is your female leader (or at least was several years ago) stating the doctrine about women and the PH. Do you believe her?

Or is she, too, just 'out of the way'?

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

How do you know? Are you a woman?

Elphaba

What does me being a woman have to do with it? If there were a majority (which is what I said) of women unhappy about not having the priesthood, we would hear more about it...I do not know a single Mormon woman who is upset about not having the priesthood...I have met a few...very few...the question is really pointless anyway, since its impossible to answer the question without surveying every woman in the church...not likely to ever see such a survey, since poles are not conducted when formulating church policy...

Good Heavens I am glad I don't have the preisthood! To me the priesthood is a HUGE responsibility and I take it very seriously. I for one am glad I have the blessings that come to me as a woman. We are caught up in a society that tells us as women that we ahould be able do everything that men can. If that were the case shouldn't we all be be men? (perish the thought!)

GAIA:

Hello April ---

I guess i just don't understand that sort of reasoning.

The feminists i've known (and i've known many) were all DELIGHTED to be female, and would not want to have been anything different. They enjoyed and took both pleasure and pride in their femaleness and femininity.

They NEVER said that men and women were "the same" -- that was a misunderstanding that the Press and PR folks seem to have perpetrated to stir up emotions, and it's obviously silly. What real feminists did say, is that men and women should have the same RIGHTS and OPPORTUNITIES -- for example, the same pay for the same work; the same chance for education or advancement if they performed the same (or better); etc.

There isn't anything wrong with having different callings in life.

GAIA:

AGain, most feminists would agree with you. What they would say is that only each woman herself and God, should make the decisions about WHAT women should be. If a woman was happy being a wife and (stay-home) Mother and Homemaker, that's GREAT - the idea is, it shoud be HER choice and not something that is forced upon her, by some outward "authority" or cultural influence.

Feminists would say that when flawed, mortal men begin making pronouncements on "what women SHOULD be or do", those pronouncements invariably become influenced / corrupted by their own desires, needs, and benefits -- And isn't that pretty much just what Joseph Smith said in D&C 121, when he wrote --

We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.

(Doctrine and Covenants 121:39)

Motherhood is just as important as holding the priesthood.

GAIA:

So is Fatherhood -- but we don't force men to make a choice between Priesthood OR Fatherhood.

Similarly, the Gospel says that women will be "Mothers (in Israel") AND "Queens and PRIESTESSES." What do you think that means?

All I know is that HF knows more than any of us and why question the one who knows everything?

GAIA:

What many question is NOT God, but those men who claim that they speak for God. And both Joseph Smith and Brigham Young said that their greatest fear was that the Saints would STOP questioning, and begin simply accepting everything that was said from the pulpit --

For example, Joseph Smith said:

...That the people should each one stand for himself, and depend on no man or men in that state of corruption of the Jewish church -- that righteous persons could only deliver their own souls -- applied it to the present state [1842] of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints --

-- Said if the people departed from the Lord, they must fall -- that they were depending on the Prophet, hence were darkened in their minds, in consequence of neglecting the duties devolving upon themselves..."

(Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith pp. 237-38)

Brigham Young said:

"What a pity it would be, if we were led by one man to utter destruction! Are you afraid of this? I am more afraid that this people have so much confidence in their leaders that they will not inquire for themselves of God whether they are led by him.

I am fearful they settle down in a state of blind self-security, trusting their eternal destiny in the hands of their leaders with a reckless confidence that in itself would thwart the purposes of God in their salvation, and weaken the influence they could give to their leaders, did they know for themselves, by the revelations of Jesus, that they are led in the right way.

Let every man and woman know, themselves, whether their leaders are walking in the path the Lord dictates, or not. This has been my exhortation continually."

(JD 9:150)

"How easy it would be for your leaders to lead you to destruction, unless you actually know the mind and will of the spirit yourselves."

(JD 4:368)

"I do not wish any Latter-day Saint in this world, nor in heaven, to be satisfied with anything I do, unless the Spirit of the Lord Jesus Christ, the spirit of revelation, makes them satisfied...

Suppose that the people were heedless, that they manifested no concern with regard to the things of the kingdom of God, but threw the whole burden upon the leaders of the people, saying, 'If the brethren who take charge of matters are satisfied, we are,' this is not pleasing in the sight of the Lord ."

(JD 3:45)

"...Now those men, or those women, who know no more about the power of God, and the influences of the Holy Spirit, than to be led entirely by another person, suspending their own understanding, and pinning their faith upon another's sleeve, will NEVER be capable of entering into the celestial glory , to be crowned as they anticipate; they will never be capable of becoming Gods.

They cannot rule themselves, to say nothing of ruling others, but they must be dictated to in every trifle, like a child. They cannot control themselves in the least, but James,Peter, [or Bruce or Gordon] or somebody else must control them. They never can become Gods, nor be crowned as rulers with glory,immortality, and eternal lives; never can hold scepters of glory, majesty, and power in the celestial kingdom.

Who will? Those who are valiant and inspired with the true independence of heaven , who will go forth boldly in the service of their God, leaving others to do as they please, determined to do right, though all mankind besides should take the opposite course. Will this apply to any of you? Your own hearts can answer."

(JD 1:312)

So questioning is something we are TOLD to do -- and to "measure" everything against the Counsel and inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

Blessings --

~Gaia

Sure, EVERY LDS woman is perfectly happy just the way things are, or else they'd let everybody know, right?

- After all, the women here who have just raised the issue have been so respectfully and considerately treated......

Why would any woman not make any questioning, unhappiness or displeasure known --

- It's not like her loyalty to the Church, her respect and appreciation for the Brethren, her belief in and committment to the Gospel, her honesty and integrity, her thought processes, her mental and spiritual health, or trust in Heavenly Father Himself would be questioned or anything.......

RIGHT?

:dontknow::wacko::P

Sure, EVERY LDS woman is perfectly happy just the way things are, or else they'd let everybody know, right?

-

I don't think anyone has said "Every", just "most"...and I believe that it is true that "most" LDS women are fine with it...some of the women (and men) on this thread have made some pretty outlandish statements and they are getting some flack for it unfortunatly...If women had the authority to lay hands on someones head and by the authority of the MP give someone a blessing, or pass the sacrament, or baptize, I would think that would be clearly taught openly from the pulpit by our Prophets and Apostles and not enshrouded in someones interpretation of the Temple...

SF,

The Lord has blessed me with plenty of Priesthood, as far as myself goes. Asking women if they want to hold the Priesthood, meaning more than the Lord has already given or in her arms, is like asking men if they want to start bearing children! We all have our callings and responsibilities. The responsibilities the Lord has given me are plenty. I cannot handle my own responsibilities at times, let alone take on the mens too.

Josie

<div class='quotemain'>

SF,

The Lord has blessed me with plenty of Priesthood, as far as myself goes. Asking women if they want to hold the Priesthood, meaning more than the Lord has already given or in her arms, is like asking men if they want to start bearing children! We all have our callings and responsibilities. The responsibilities the Lord has given me are plenty. I cannot handle my own responsibilities at timed, let alone take on the mens too.

Josie

I would actually love to have the connection with a child that only a mother can have. Even if that means the pains of childbirth.

Instead, I ended up with a receding hairline.

Quel dommage.

What is your problem? You don't know MORE than the Prophets and Apostles? You are content with letting HF decide things? You don't want to complain that you are a downtrodden, misunderstood woman that has a RIGHT to the PH?

GAIA:

Hmm -- What woman -- and where , EXACTLY -- did anyone "complain" that they were "downtrodden, misunderstood woman"???

....I would think that would be clearly taught openly from the pulpit by our Prophets and Apostles and not enshrouded in someones interpretation of the Temple...

GAIA:

Hi Isaac --

Thank you for the respectful reply, even though your view differs somewhat from my own.

I can understand your point, but i think there are some fairly good and compelling reasons why it would NOT "be clearly taught openly" as you say.....

Blessings --

~Gaia

"Josie

I would actually love to have the connection with a child that only a mother can have. Even if that means the pains of childbirth.

Instead, I ended up with a receding hairline.

Quel dommage.

I happen to like my receding hair line...I make it look good...flaunt it if you DON"T got it...:)

<div class='quotemain'>

GAIA:

Hmm -- What woman -- and where , EXACTLY -- did anyone "complain" that they were "downtrodden, misunderstood woman"???

....I would think that would be clearly taught openly from the pulpit by our Prophets and Apostles and not enshrouded in someones interpretation of the Temple...

GAIA:

Hi Isaac --

Thank you for the respectful reply, even though your view differs somewhat from my own.

I can understand your point, but i think there are some fairly good and compelling reasons why it would NOT "be clearly taught openly" as you say.....

Blessings --

~Gaia

Such as?

:hmmm: