General Authority excommunicated

pam

4 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Selling drugs. 

3 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

To Elder Hambula? I knew it was your fault!

I knew it was you, Gator.  You broke my heart!  You broke my HEART!

5 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Really?   I'm in.  

Yeah, it's like I was saying.  You don't have to actually do anything that is too hard.  Just try to be nice and everything... is ... going ... to ... be ... just ... fine...

A-HEM!

7 hours ago, Carborendum said:

It could simply be poor wording (by the spokesman for the Church???) or "following" may mean "pursuant to" or "in accordance with".  Disciplinary action, remember, is not just the excommunication, but a process.

I don't think it was poor wording. I read it more like both actions took place simultaneously? He was a member, a disciplinary action took place,  was excommunicated and by default (since he was not longer a member), automatically released.

On 09/08/2017 at 7:12 AM, pam said:

"This morning, James J. Hamula was released as a General Authority Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, following church disciplinary action by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles," said Eric Hawkins, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865686362/LDS-Church-leaders-release-excommunicate-Elder-James-J-Hamula.html

11 hours ago, askandanswer said:

@MormonGator! What have you done !?!?!

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Selling drugs. 

2 hours ago, askandanswer said:

To Elder Hambula? I knew it was your fault!

You see how easy it is to obtain a confession from a simple gator - even for an aussie? There could be a lesson for @mirkwood here.

Edited by askandanswer

5 hours ago, Vort said:

So Elder/Brother/Mister Hamula was released as a General Authority Seventy after being excommunicated? Really, is that how it works?

Sounds like a case of being innocent until proven guilty. Perhaps penalties/consequences should only be applied once "guilt" has been established.

22 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

Indeed, this is probably a question in poor taste.  We should feel sad for the man more than anything.

When I read your question I personally didn't think of it as being in poor taste because I think it's more normal than anything else. Some people love gossip, it's true. But even the Lord's Apostles exhibited a kind of curiosity, or bewilderment or whatever one may choose to call it. I'm a bit confused about why the official statement said what was *not* the reason for his excommunication as opposed to what was. Maybe someone can enlighten me--it's an honest question. (I do get it that there are some as was pointed out by someone quoted in the media release I think that there are those who would love to learn that an LDS general authority had "lost" his faith.)

Edited by Mike

18 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm a bit confused about why the official statement said what was *not* the reason for his excommunication as opposed to what was. Maybe someone can enlighten me--it's an honest question. (I do get it that there are some as was pointed out by someone quoted in the media release I think that there are those who would love to learn that an LDS general authority had "lost" his faith.)

I think it's so people don't question what he had said in Conference talks, etc since they're still online.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about this last night, and I have a question. Nothing I'm going to get hung up about, just curious.

When someone is rebaptized, they have their full blessings restored to them. If an elder is rebaptized, he doesn't have to be reordained as a deacon, teacher, then priest again. Since being a member of the Seventy is an office and a calling (in my mind; I could be wrong about that), if he is rebaptized and welcomed back to the Church, would he be back in a quorum of the Seventy, would he be given emeritus status, or something else?

1 hour ago, seashmore said:

I was thinking about this last night, and I have a question. Nothing I'm going to get hung up about, just curious.

When someone is rebaptized, they have their full blessings restored to them. If an elder is rebaptized, he doesn't have to be reordained as a deacon, teacher, then priest again. Since being a member of the Seventy is an office and a calling (in my mind; I could be wrong about that), if he is rebaptized and welcomed back to the Church, would he be back in a quorum of the Seventy, would he be given emeritus status, or something else?

I ASSUME (so don't take this as certain) that it works as follows:

A man who is rebaptized and has his blessings restored to him also has restored his most recent Priesthood office to which he was ordained. That means that upon having his blessings restored, an ex-Seventy would be a seventy and an ex-Apostle would be an apostle.

Every Priesthood holder belongs to a quorum, by right of his Priesthood ordination. So you would think that a rebaptized apostle would necessarily return to the Quorum of Twelve and a rebaptized seventy would necessarily return to the Quorum of Seventy. But I doubt this is the case. Being a General Authority is a calling, not an ordination. I don't believe the calling is restored with the other blessings; we certainly have historical evidence that an excommunicated General Authority who returns will not necessarily be restored to his calling.

So I think it's entirely possible that a General Authority who is excommunicated, then repents and is rebaptized, might well simply become a member of his stake high priest quorum rather than return to his previous calling.

7 hours ago, Vort said:

Every Priesthood holder belongs to a quorum, by right of his Priesthood ordination. So you would think that a rebaptized apostle would necessarily return to the Quorum of Twelve and a rebaptized seventy would necessarily return to the Quorum of Seventy. But I doubt this is the case. Being a General Authority is a calling, not an ordination.

Thank you. I find this explanation satisfies my curiosity.