Ward Boundaries and moving

Fether

My wife and I are going to school and may qualify for scholarship housing next year. If we got it, the school would choose what house we are to move into. This house will likely be outside our boundaries.

We love our current Ward and I absolutely love my callings.

my question is this. How strict are the boundaries? If I love outside the Ward, would I be ok to stay in the Ward? I know on my mission there were a lot of situations where this caused problems and people had to get special permission to change wards. Is it written somewhere that "thou shalt not attend church outside your Ward boundaries"?

What if the Lord wants you in the new ward?  What if the Lord needs you there, to strengthen it and to serve?  What if someone in your new ward needs you there in specific?

I would say, just go with it and see what happens.

(On a related note, I have seen a very disturbing trend of young single adults sticking with their family wards over the singles ward.  What's up with that?  Why don't these kids want to do their own thing in a singles ward?)

Edited by DoctorLemon

4 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

What if the Lord wants you in the new ward?  What if the Lord needs you there, to strengthen it and to serve?  What if someone in your new ward needs you there in specific?

I would say, just go with it and see what happens.

(On a related note, I have seen a very disturbing trend of young single adults sticking with their family wards over the singles ward.  What's up with that?  Why don't these kids want to do their own thing in a singles ward?)

Thanks, I have all those same thoughts.

And as far as the question, prophet said don't wait to get married so I didn't wait ;)

Ideally you should be attending church with your neighbors, to build up a community and helping each other out.  So if you move, you usually have new community (and ward). 

There are some exceptions for going to a transfer wards other than your geographically assigned one*.  But is has to be a really valid reason, like as "my ex-husband who beat me is in that ward".  Simply "I just prefer this one" probably aren't going to fly.

*Obviously I'm not talking about cases with singles wards or different languages, etc. 

Guest MormonGator

From what I've been told, you can go to whatever ward you choose, but only your local bishop can give you a temple recommend, etc. So most just go to their local ward. I'm no expert, it's just what I've been told. 

Edited by MormonGator

17 hours ago, Fether said:

Is it written somewhere that "thou shalt not attend church outside your Ward boundaries"?

Yes.  It is implicit in the words Ward Boundaries.

(It's like Ben Shapiro being asked, where is it written that girls can't join Boy Scouts?  Answer:  It's in the words Boy Scouts).

Anyway, we are organized into wards because we are to fellowship and succor within our wards.  This is where we teach, where we preach, where we serve.  Staying in a ward that is not within your boundaries does a disservice to your home teachers, your deacons that make fast offering routes, and your bishopric among other things.

Of course it is possible to attend a ward not within your boundaries.  In our ward, one elderly couple stayed in our ward even as they live one block outside of ward and stake boundaries because they are dependent on other people and all of them are within our ward.  His inactive son also lives in our ward boundaries and he is helping the ward missionaries to get him back into fellowship.  His ward membership was approved by the Stake President.  I don't know if the Stake President got involved because he lives in a different stake or if the Stake President gets involved even for exceptions within stake boundaries.  In any case, the bishopric was assigned as their home teachers and my deacon son collects their fast offerings.  When they need sacrament sent to their home, my husband and 2 sons take the sacrament to them and not the regular assigned Priesthood for such things.  When they offer to feed missionaries, they send the food to the missionary apartment because the missionaries are not supposed to go outside ward boundaries except on PT days when they go to the Walmart.  They got tired of this arrangement eventually so they moved to live in our house.

Edited by anatess2

18 hours ago, Fether said:

My wife and I are going to school and may qualify for scholarship housing next year. If we got it, the school would choose what house we are to move into. This house will likely be outside our boundaries.

my question is this. How strict are the boundaries? If I love outside the Ward, would I be ok to stay in the Ward? I know on my mission there were a lot of situations where this caused problems and people had to get special permission to change wards. Is it written somewhere that "thou shalt not attend church outside your Ward boundaries"?

Handbook, and think of stewardship and keys. The moment you move into a different ward boundaries you are now under the stewardship and keys of another bishop, and if new stake then the keys of the new stake president.

All things are done in wisdom and order. The chances are if the only reason is because you "love" the ward and callings, then you will probably be invited to attend the new ward, and make that ward a better place with your presence and love for the Lord.

:)

If it's short term the ward you are in now the bishop can okay it but that's typically just for a few weeks or a few months.  We have had a sister in our ward for about a year where she jumps from apartment to apartment and the bishop thought it would be best she just come to our ward since she is all over the place.  If it's long term then you need the stake presidents permission and both stake presidents usually need to agree on it or at least should.

Other cases where I have seen this justified is if their is an issue with ex-spouses or maybe there are members who don't get along.  I even saw a time when a someone was called as a bishop in another stake who was just barely on the boundaries  (the stake he was in didn't know as it happened when there were some boundary changes) - haha 

You do have the right to go to any ward but your records will be where you live so you can't hold a calling or get a temple recommend from a bishop of a ward where your records do not reside. 

I wouldn't be too concerned jumping wards at a young age.  Things get more serious when you buy a house and a lot of thought and prayer should go into where you move. 

Now that I think of it...I once moved from a tiny ward in an isolated town on the prairies, where the members were very dedicated to a town in Onatario that had a both a branch and a ward. On my first day attending the branch, I met a young woman who told me that she lived in the ward but attended the branch to avoid having a calling. I now understand, from the postings of this thread that as she lived in the ward, her priesthood leader was the bishop rather than the branch leader so...yes, no calling! Now it makes sense! At the time, I was appalled having been briefly molded by the discipline of the prairies, if they did not keep their ward alive, it was a 4 hour drive to the next town! The prairie lds people were staggeringly wonderful and I feel quite humble in contrast. Now having lived in Sodom for awhile, I am more relaxed! 

Edited by Sunday21

On 10/5/2017 at 5:01 PM, DoctorLemon said:

Same reason certain people weren't happy with their separate but "equal" drinking fountains and bathrooms.

Guest MormonGator
23 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Same reason certain people weren't happy with their separate but "equal" drinking fountains and bathrooms.

You are comparing segregation to YSA's sticking in family wards? 

Edited by MormonGator

As has been indicated by others, my understanding is that only the bishop of the ward in which you are geographically located can do for you the things that bishops do. It used to be, about a decade ago, that exceptions to this rule needed to be put in writing and sent to Salt Lake, but perhaps such decisions can now be made locally. And, as others have said, you need to have a pretty good reason. 

ps

I heard this evening in the discussion after the conference broadcast that the last family that moved into our ward doesn't actually live in our ward boundaries. They were given permission (I'm not sure who by) to move into our ward because they have young woman aged daughters and there are no young women of the same age in the ward they live in. That doesn't really sound like a strong reason but perhaps there is more to it that I don't know.

Edited by askandanswer

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

As has been indicated by others, my understanding is that only the bishop of the ward in which you are geographically located can do for you the things that bishops do. It used to be, about a decade ago, that exceptions to this rule needed to be put in writing and sent to Salt Lake, but perhaps such decisions can now be made locally. And, as others have said, you need to have a pretty good reason. 

I know it's not a popular view, but it is sometimes very hard to attend a ward and it's activities if you don't fit in. It's easy to go inactive if you don't gel with the ward. Perhaps exceptions should be made at a more liberal rate.  

People have told me the story of a single mother who had 4 children in a rural area here. The new ward boundary required her to drive the kids to a town 40 minutes away rather than a 5 minute drive to a stake center in her own town. She and her family began attending another church. The ward boundary was rigorously enforced.  The local bishop met with the mother in her home to insist that she attend meetings in the new location.

Losing a family is a tragedy. Losing a family in a sparsely attended rural setting is a tragedy for everyone. There is a role in the church for subordinates to respectfully say, ‘This is a stupid rule. If you insist on this rule, find someone other than myself to enforce it. ‘

On 10/5/2017 at 4:55 PM, Fether said:

@DoctorLemon brought up some excellent points for you to consider.

The Lord works in mysterious ways.  Could be there's something you have someone in that new ward needs, or there may be something you'll need in the next year that someone in your new ward will have.  If you find yourself dragging your feet about switching wards, ponder who drew those boundaries and what led you to being there. 

Of course there are exceptions (I could list a few incidentals), but the rule is to attend your assigned ward.

On 10/6/2017 at 8:48 PM, MormonGator said:

You are comparing segregation to YSA's sticking in family wards? 

Since I didn't join the Church until after 30, I didn't get the personal experience with YSA wards, but I've gotten to watch it from the outside a few times visiting friends who were stuck in them.  It's "sure, you can have your service in the time slot nobody wants...unless someone else needs the chapel that Sunday afternoon, in which case you'll be in the Primary room...and we need the grownup chairs in the chapel and cultural center, so you might as well just sit on the floor."

SA "magnet" wards are even worse; sit in the back, so the white folks families don't have to look at you or let you have any of the more comfortable seating.  Of course, you won't be asked to pray, speak or pass the Sacrament because that's for the white folks families too; you should be thankful we pass it that far back.  And don't complain about having Sunday School in the only room in the building where the heat/AC doesn't work so you have to strain to hear it over the box fan in the doorway, or we'll take away the fan.  

On 10/7/2017 at 3:01 AM, Sunday21 said:

People have told me the story of a single mother who had 4 children in a rural area here. The new ward boundary required her to drive the kids to a town 40 minutes away rather than a 5 minute drive to a stake center in her own town. She and her family began attending another church. The ward boundary was rigorously enforced.  The local bishop met with the mother in her home to insist that she attend meetings in the new location.

That would have been a really short discussion for me; "I'm not making that drive."

As a teenager in the Methodist church, I sometimes went to the college youth group's weeknight meetings, simply because the high school level one met at an inconvenient time, and I lived 8 miles out of town, so everything I did in town had to be coordinated with someone going that way.  There was never a complaint or even a suggestion that I should only attend the other group.

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Since I didn't join the Church until after 30, I didn't get the personal experience with YSA wards, but I've gotten to watch it from the outside a few times visiting friends who were stuck in them.  It's "sure, you can have your service in the time slot nobody wants...unless someone else needs the chapel that Sunday afternoon, in which case you'll be in the Primary room...and we need the grownup chairs in the chapel and cultural center, so you might as well just sit on the floor."

SA "magnet" wards are even worse; sit in the back, so the white folks families don't have to look at you or let you have any of the more comfortable seating.  Of course, you won't be asked to pray, speak or pass the Sacrament because that's for the white folks families too; you should be thankful we pass it that far back.  And don't complain about having Sunday School in the only room in the building where the heat/AC doesn't work so you have to strain to hear it over the box fan in the doorway, or we'll take away the fan.  

With all due respect, your comparison borders on the absurd. 

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, NightSG said:

A lot of people complaining about segregation were told the same thing.  Try it from the other side some time.

The horrors of segregation compared to life in an LDS singles ward...my violin ain't working for you on this one kid. 

Edited by MormonGator

When I was single, I was excited to go to the YSA ward.  I was actually very sad when I had to go back to the family ward eight months later to launch my mission.

I mean, how else are you supposed to meet beautiful single Mormon women to date?  There aren't too many of those in the family wards.

Besides, I was bored stiff in my family ward.  Bunch of old people.  And, I had to go to Church with my mom.  I mean, don't get me wrong, me and my mom have a great relationship, but when you are 18, you kind of want to get out on your own a bit, you know?

I also liked the fact I could get away with stuff in the singles ward I could never get away with in a family ward (e.g. wear a wine-purple colored dress shirt with a black tie to Church, very Mafia).

I never felt persecuted in the least by going to the YSA ward.  In fact, quite the opposite!  The YSA ward kept me excited about Church during those years immediately following high school.

There is nothing wrong with teens these days sticking to the family wards.  Maybe these teens don't mind hanging out with family a little later into adulthood and don't mind delaying the formation of romantic relationships.  Maybe I was just kind of a rebel.  It just strikes me as a little. . . odd . . . 

Edited by DoctorLemon

1 hour ago, NightSG said:

I have never encounter what you are describing, having lived in ~20 different stakes.  

Usually singles wards have their own meeting slot in the schedule like anyone else.  A few of the stakes actually have their singles ward always have the 1 PM time slot (so people can sleep in), while all the family wards move around the other slots.  They stay in the normal Sunday School rooms as everyone else.