Clarifying what D&D is

Jane_Doe

On another thread there were some questions about the game “Dungeons and Dragons” or D&D.  I started this thread to address them and explain what D&D actually is.   D&D is a game about pretend imagination and story telling.  A group of friends get together, and one person narrates a story while the other people participate in the story.  For example:

The narrator says: “While out walking, you discover a dark cave”

The person participating in the story says: “Well I want to go explore this cave, so I step inside”.   

The narrator says: “Inside you see a… [insert whatever here]”

In essence the story can be whatever you want it to be, but the purpose is always to have fun with friends.   You can also play whenever/wherever you want, it doesn’t cost anything, and can be whatever.   For example, my husband and I frequently play D&D when we’re driving long distances (>2 hours): it’s a way to use some imagination and having fun instead of just staring at boring highway.

Now, addressing some questions about Dungeons and Dragons (taken from the other thread):

9 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I know all D&D really is, is sort of like the make believe that we used to do as kids, but with rules.

Sort of like when I played Cowboys and Indians (actually, it was normally just Cowboys and Cowboys since no one wanted to play the Indians unless it was a little brother who we coerced into doing so) when we were younger, but with rules and such that make it so that we can't have the disagreements of things like...I shot you...no you didn't...etc.

In a way, yes.  Note: the official "rules" are more of guidelines, and you can have "house rules" for how things work, just like any other game.

It's also tends to be cooperative, and takes place in a fantasy setting. 

Yes it does tend to be cooperative: you and your friends are going out on an adventure together.  But the setting doesn't have to be fantasy at all; it is whatever you want it to be (outer space, the Old West, mystery in Victorian London, etc).  

It's not taken literally or that seriously by the players, and they play it just like we would play any other game (though there are some that are far more serious about it than others, it being more of a serious hobby for them, than just another boardgame).

Yes.  Just like you have people who are super serious about Monopoly versus are super casual about it.

Also: D&D doesn't need to be played on a board and frequently/usually isn't.  

I know a little about your hobby now.  Obviously not everything, but somewhat about it.

Yep!  Let me know if you have any more questions :)

Edited by Jane_Doe

There are people that are super serious about Monopoly!?

I really enjoy boardgames and collect some, but I don't get really serious about them.  Well, I suppose at one point I did play chess somewhat competitively (was on the chess team decades ago in High School.  At the time, chess teams were almost like another sports team...don't know if that still goes on today, but my impression is that it does not), so I suppose I could understand it from that viewpoint.

I'm not sure I'd classify D&D as the greatest game ever.  I might list that as chess or maybe for those from the East, Go (which I think is a form of Chinese Chess, but vastly different than the chess we play or think about in the US normally).

28 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Have you ever played Monopoly?.

Hasbro created a Doctor Who version where a player can be a sonic screwdriver just so fighting can begin BEFORE the game!!

We already do that with the battleship...

I tell ya, if my family can survive the token wars, we just might be able to finish the game without somebody crying, yelling, or upending the board.  Monopoly is the devil.  :D

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Midwest LDS said:

I love D and D. I'm the dungeon master for my group right now and I almost destroyed my players with a town full of doppelgangers. Good times.

May I come over? 

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

Me too. I tend to play human paladins or clerics as it fits my playing style, but I'll play any class the party needs. I do prefer the more physical classes (I like glowing, powerful weapons).

The only thing I won't do is personally play a chaotic evil character, not out of moral reasons- it's a game after all. 

I think it's naturally flawed-would a chaotic evil character even join a group? No, except for a very short time to advance their own goals.  Just my thoughts. 

Edited by MormonGator

Agreed. While I usually play Lawful or Chaotic Good characters I can play just about anything except Chaotic Evil. To me, Chaotic Evil is just to much of an anarchic crazy psychopath to work in a party just from a roleplaying perspective. The only evil I usually will play is Lawful Evil. I do have a soft spot for the villian with his own twisted code.

Edited by Midwest LDS

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

Agreed. While I usually play Lawful or Chaotic Good characters I can play just about anything except Chaotic Evil. To me, Chaotic Evil is just to much of an anarchic crazy psychopath to work in a party just from a roleplaying perspective. The only evil I usually will play is Lawful Evil. I do have a soft spot for the villian with his own twisted code.

My thoughts totally, word for word. I do love playing a fallen angel though. Lawful evil blackguards are among my favorites. 

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Midwest LDS said:

Yeah Blackguards can be fun, especially if they have certain lines they don't cross and you play them as a little bit of an Anti-Villian. But, my very favorite character is a heroic paladin. I like being the guy who rides in on his horse, puts down a dragon with extreme prejudice, and rescues the townsfolk. 

And they can wield some amazing weapons. 

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Not I!  I tried a barbarian once and died of boredom (I can hit something, hit something or... hit something).

lol! That's okay @Jane_Doe. You magic users can cower in the back, while the fighters like @Midwest LDS and I will lead the way. 

(playing! ) 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Jane_Doe said:

My 5e abjurationist is actually pretty tanky thank you.  

A mage casting Tenser's Transformation in Baldurs Gate can take down a dragon in physical combat, so I have no doubt that you can take a beating! 

@Jane_Doe how do you settle the important issues on a drive? Doesn't your DM need to roll some dice sometimes? Isn't rolling D20's half the fun? I can't imagine trying to read the number from the top of my orange D20 with glow-in-the-dark sparkles as it rolls around between the pedals - I mean I'd really be counting on the mercy of the true game master to keep any pop-up monsters from jumping in my path and I don't know if I have a high enough character class to drive blind without being lulled into oblivion by the ditch sirens :viking: