Can We Eat Turkey First?

mirkwood

My only real complaint about early Christmas music is that I feel like it distracts a bit from Thanksgiving. I personally have a playlist of songs expresses gratitude that I started building last year to play through November. It's not big enough for its purpose yet, but I'm working on it.

Ah, man!  I thought this was going to be about food ideas for Thanksgiving.

Well, the main reason we play Christmas songs is that there really are only about 20 songs in the entire repertoire of music that is about Thanksgiving.  And about 15 of those are only known to people who do music for a living.  So, playing the same five songs over and over again for a month simply wouldn't do.

On the other hand we have approximately 3.2 gazillion songs for Christmas.  Even if we round down, that's still 3.0 Gazillion :D.  So, we have to spread that around over the course of two months.

6 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Ah, man!  I thought this was going to be about food ideas for Thanksgiving.

Well, the main reason we play Christmas songs is that there really are only about 20 songs in the entire repertoire of music that is about Thanksgiving.  And about 15 of those are only known to people who do music for a living.  So, playing the same five songs over and over again for a month simply wouldn't do.

On the other hand we have approximately 3.2 gazillion songs for Christmas.  Even if we round down, that's still 3.0 Gazillion :D.  So, we have to spread that around over the course of two months.

i don’t accept this reasoning. The people that play Christmas music before December are playing the same 2 Albums over and over. Max 5 albums. I myself love Christmas music and have around 5 albums I love. But “To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven. A time to be scary, and a time to eat turkey; a time to give gifts, and a time to buy a new Calandar.

3 hours ago, Blossom76 said:

I'm in Australia so no thanksgiving but if you put up lights/tree/decorations/play christmas music before the 1st of December you are looked upon as a Christmas Freak :santa:

My cousin in Perth puts out her Christmas decor on the first Saturday after November 2.  Her decorations have been stolen 3 times already.

Edited by anatess2

If I had it my way, Christmas decorations would go up November 1!  But not Christmas albums.  A surefire way to tell that a band has sold out is if they start releasing Christmas albums.  Can we say commercial cash-in?  (Bob Dylan released a notoriously horrible Christmas album back in 2009, but I let it slide because the proceeds were going to a good purpose).

I like Thanksgiving primarily because I get time off of work.  Other than that, I think Thanksgiving is absolutely ruined by the abomination known as Black Friday (a "holiday" where I stay indoors and try to avoid all of the crazed consumerists).  I also think Thanksgiving food requires waaayyy too much work for too little payoff (and frankly I don't really like turkey much anyways - I prefer grilling steaks), and I don't like football.  

Usually, I spend Thanksgiving day decorating for Christmas!  (This is the earliest my wife will allow me to decorate).

All in all, Thanksgiving is my fourth least favorite holiday, behind Labor Day (No. 1), New Years' (No. 2), and St. Patrick's Day (No. 3).

I asked my wife if, instead of celebrating Thanksgiving, we could just call it "Pre-Christmas".  She was not amused.

Edited by DoctorLemon

3 hours ago, mirkwood said:

Bah...just listen to Rush all year.

Hmm.  That's mildly amusing.  Don't listen to [specific genre] for more than 1 month (presumably because it gets old hearing the same thing over and over for more than 1 month), but do listen to [only one artist] 12 months of the year (but hearing this particular same thing over and over all year long (eta) doesn't get old).

My MP3 player includes hymns and Christmas music (secular and MoTab) along with all the secular music, and randomizes it all year long.  I'm now going to go search out this song and listen to it:

Edited by zil

2 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

I asked my wife if, instead of celebrating Thanksgiving, we could just call it "Pre-Christmas".  She was not amused.

How funny.  Me and my wife are opposite.  I use the "birthday month" card and request Christmas decs wait to go up after Thanksgiving, but if not at least wait till after my birthday!!

3 hours ago, zil said:

Hmm.  That's mildly amusing.  Don't listen to [specific genre] for more than 1 month (presumably because it gets old hearing the same thing over and over for more than 1 month), but do listen to [only one artist] 12 months of the year (but hearing this particular same thing over and over all year long).

Oh no, you mix other bands into the listening as well, but Rush must be included in the mix year round.  Now @MormonGator will say we should include KISS, but as we all know his tastes are questionable.

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Oh no, you mix other bands into the listening as well, but Rush must be included in the mix year round.  Now @MormonGator will say we should include KISS, but as we all know his tastes are questionable.

As questionable as your mental capabilities!  

Edited by MormonGator

41 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

.  Now @MormonGator will say we should include KISS, but as we all know his tastes are questionable.

You describe Gator's taste as questionable? How very polite of you.. Not exactly truthful, but certainly polite. :) 

On 11/7/2017 at 8:56 PM, Fether said:

What’s with the overhyping of Christmas??? Everyone knows Thanksgiving in the greatest holiday ever!

I am with you.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year.

2 minutes ago, pam said:

I am with you.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year.

Right! Something about stuffing hot, overly butter rolls with mashed potatoes and turkey while sitting around the table with people that beat you too the same old bad jokes you have been telling since you could talk.

20 hours ago, mirkwood said:

Bah...just listen to Rush all year.

Rush you say?  Hmm....

I don't think I can listen to Rush all week, let alone all year.  He can get a bit "out there", although Alex Jones makes him sound centrist.  LOL!  But yeah, I like this one:

Oh!  You mean, Tom Sawyer Rush.

Edited by anatess2

I'm gonna blatantly claim to speak for all of American culture when I say that the "Christmas Creep"  (as term I like to use to describe how Christmas season comes ever earlier each year) is a direct result of retail marketing.  A lot of retailers make the bulk of their sales during the Christmas gift buying frenzy so naturally they want it to last longer and longer.

So I'M JADED AND SO IS EVERYONE ELSE.

I'm fighting back in my own little way by doing these things:

• Absolutely not buying any Christmas gifts on credit
  • Doing as much of my Christmas shopping online as possible and as late as I can get away with
  • Setting a low upper limit on what I'll spend on my kids, and buying no gifts for anyone else besides my wife
  • Playing only Christmas music that directly relates to Jesus Christ.  (And anyone who tries to play "Santa Baby" in my presence will be swiftly and mercilessly dealt with)
  • Reminding the kids frequently about what Christmas is about
  • Reminding myself frequently about what Christmas is about

/gloomy post

4 minutes ago, unixknight said:

• Setting a low upper limit on what I'll spend on my kids, and buying no gifts for anyone else besides my wife

Meanwhile... I have 124 people in my Christmas gifts list.  And that's a very very pared down list.  I used to send gifts to some lds.net peeps.  I haven't done that in years.

Edited by anatess2