Ear Piercing

person0

Guest MormonGator
Just now, omegaseamaster75 said:

From a purely economical standpoint if you can't afford a nice ring you probably can't afford a nice house, a nice car and certainly can't afford to bring kids into this world. To me it means you probably can't afford to get married.  

I respectfully disagree (key word, respectfully). 

I know many couples (myself included) who did not splurge on the diamond because we wanted to afford a nicer car, nicer house, etc. So we saved on the diamond and instead put our money towards X or Y.  

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

I respectfully disagree (key word, respectfully). 

I know many couples (myself included) who did not splurge on the diamond because we wanted to afford a nicer car, nicer house, etc. So we saved on the diamond and instead put our money towards X or Y.  

That's great and smart, but the 5k you would have spent on the diamond (I suspect) was not a make or break for you, and had you spent the 5k on a "ok"ring I am guessing you still would have been able to afford the house or car. 

I think the point I am trying to make is that 5k is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. If you want to get married get educated, get a job, don't have kids right away.

See my exception clause in previous post.

Guest MormonGator
Just now, omegaseamaster75 said:

That's great and smart, but the 5k you would have spent on the diamond (I suspect) was not a make or break for you, and had you spent the 5k on a "ok"ring I am guessing you still would have been able to afford the house or car. 

I think the point I am trying to make is that 5k is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. If you want to get married get educated, get a job, don't have kids right away.

5k is a huge amount of money to some people. 

3 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

5k is a huge amount of money to some people. 

You know as well as I do that it is all relative, if I want to buy a house 5k is peanuts, same for a new car. Over the course of a lifetime 5k one way or the other is not life changing. 

Yeah if I stumbled over 5k in the street I'd sure pick it up but that money wouldn't change my life.

For the record I only spent 1k on my wifes ring when we got married.  We have since upgraded but later in life.

Edited by omegaseamaster75

9 hours ago, MormonGator said:

...It actually is a problem. Men feel guilty if they don't bankrupt themselves into buying a huge diamond and women feel entitled to a huge diamond that would make Liz Taylor jealous. If that's your thing, fine-to each their own.

Not every man feels guilty about not being able to buy a ring he can't afford and not every woman is jewelry crazy. It is possible to purchase a ring that won't bankrupt the guy and still make the gal happy.

M.

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Maureen said:

Not every man feels guilty about not being able to buy a ring he can't afford and not every woman is jewelry crazy. It is possible to purchase a ring that won't bankrupt the guy and still make the gal happy.

M.

Oh for sure. I was speaking in broad generalities. 

On 12/30/2017 at 7:08 PM, person0 said:

When we are resurrected will any of us have ear piercings?  No!

Will my resurrected body be shaved?  Hairstyled?  Manscaped?  Toenails trimmed neatly?  Nose hair carefully clipped?

We modify our bodies in dozens of ways.

On 1/1/2018 at 2:29 AM, mrmarklin said:

BTW, the rule on engagement ring cost is two months salary. A good argument for marrying young, when one’s salary is low!

I guess I need to pre-buy a few different sizes with what's left of my savings before somebody hires me.  Unfortunately, due to inflation, most of the vending machines are up to $0.50 now.

5 hours ago, NightSG said:

Will my resurrected body be shaved?  No

Hairstyled?  Yes

Manscaped?  No

Toenails trimmed neatly?  Yes

Nose hair carefully clipped?  Yes

There must be an important difference in 'permanent' vs non-permanent as well as intentional vs non-intentional modifications.  Otherwise, why the counsel from the Church at all if body alterations are merely trivial matters?

13 hours ago, NightSG said:

Will my resurrected body be shaved?  Hairstyled?  Manscaped?  Toenails trimmed neatly?  Nose hair carefully clipped?

OK.  A term I hadn't heard before.  I'm not sure I wanted to.  Trying to get image out of my head.

23 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

First World problems.

I already had a house when my husband proposed to me.  He was a feast-or-famine runway model making thousands in a weekend but may not have another gig for weeks.  He bought a $100 ring from Kay's to propose to me on one of his feast days.  He spent $80 for the marriage license, $20 for the judge to marry us with the use of the courthouse's arbor, and $40 for pizza for those who could take off work to celebrate our nuptials.  On the ceremony, the judge asked us if we'd like to exchange rings.  We did - he gave me the engagement ring again, I gave him his CTR ring.  He moved in to my house that day where he proceeded to cut up my mall cards.

Anyway, THIS showed me my husband is responsible with money.  Good thing because I'm not - as evidenced by my $40K debt even as I was making close to 6 figures being single - my husband paid off those debts within a year of our marriage.   A ring and a big wedding would have been put on credit.  My husband is allergic to credit.  He was a cash guy - if he can't buy it cash, he's not buying it.  That includes his car and his college.  The house was the only thing he was willing to put on a loan.  That guy is the guy for me.  He eventually bought us matching wedding rings - from the Philippines.  $800 for 2 rings.  Each ring having 5 diamonds to total 1 karat and our names and our courthouse wedding date etched onto the back of the gold band.  My aunt found the rings for us straight from the mining town where the stones were unearthed from.  I love my ring, not because of the glitter (I have no preference between diamonds and the bottom of a soda glass especially since it's not something I would ever pawn if life gets rough - and I'm sure my husband wouldn't have picked me to marry if I was "one of those girls") but because of what is etched on the band.  He gave me the ring on my birthday - his birthday is within a week of mine.

Life in the Philippines will show you that you don't need to be able to afford a diamond ring to be able to successfully and comfortably build a family.  No, these are not exceptions.  I have observed that people, especially first world western ones, like to try to make fulfilling God's commandment be so difficult.

Edited by anatess2

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

First World problems.

I already had a house when my husband proposed to me.  He was a feast-or-famine runway model making thousands in a weekend but may not have another gig for weeks.  He bought a $100 ring from Kay's to propose to me on one of his feast days.  He spent $80 for the marriage license, $20 for the judge to marry us with the use of the courthouse's arbor, and $40 for pizza for those who could take off work to celebrate our nuptials.  On the ceremony, the judge asked us if we'd like to exchange rings.  We did - he gave me the engagement ring again, I gave him his CTR ring.  He moved in to my house that day where he proceeded to cut up my mall cards.

Anyway, THIS showed me my husband is responsible with money.  Good thing because I'm not - as evidenced by my $40K debt even as I was making close to 6 figures being single - my husband paid off those debts within a year of our marriage.   A ring and a big wedding would have been put on credit.  My husband is allergic to credit.  He was a cash guy - if he can't buy it cash, he's not buying it.  That includes his car and his college.  The house was the only thing he was willing to put on a loan.  That guy is the guy for me.  He eventually bought us matching wedding rings - from the Philippines.  $800 for 2 rings.  Each ring having 5 diamonds to total 1 karat and our names and our courthouse wedding date etched onto the back of the gold band.  My aunt found the rings for us straight from the mining town where the stones were unearthed from.  I love my ring, not because of the glitter (I have no preference between diamonds and the bottom of a soda glass especially since it's not something I would ever pawn if life gets rough - and I'm sure my husband wouldn't have picked me to marry if I was "one of those girls") but because of what is etched on the band.  He gave me the ring on my birthday - his birthday is within a week of mine.

Life in the Philippines will show you that you don't need to be able to afford a diamond ring to be able to successfully and comfortably build a family.  No, these are not exceptions.  I have observed that people, especially first world western ones, like to try to make fulfilling God's commandment be so difficult.

Careful Anatess2 you are breaking his

Because no one wants to hear about the truth of people lives who are in different positions, make a different decision in following counsel given, and have children even while in college or in a third world country where poverty is the norm and you still have kids -- that you can't afford. Because you know the caveat to the commandment to "multiply and replenish the earth" was -- only if your rich and can afford a nice diamond ring, a nice car, and a nice house -- but never while you are in college or poor. And to give congrats to college students who honor this commandment and survive just fine -- you know those "exceptions" -- don't want to hear about them -- no -- never!

;)

Hmm, my wife had a different approach to her engagement ring.  She wears her wedding ring all the time, but never wears the engagement ring.  I first got her engagement ring many years ago.  It was a pretty thing which basically appeared to be gold vines encircling a diamond.  My wife has always been afraid of losing it so decided not to wear it shortly after our marriage.  She still wore the wedding band, but not the engagement ring.  So, I bought her another one, but she didn't like that one.  So, I bought her another one, but that was also too expensive for her to wear because she was constantly worried  about losing it.

Later I bought her a very cheap one, but that one was one of those copper ones and it turned a different shade, so I went and go another expensive one, but cheaper than the others.  Once again, she didn't wear that one.  Finally, after MANY MANY MANY YEARS AND DECADES I found one of those CTR rings with fake gems in them.  I told her how cheap it was, and saw that it did not tarnish like the cheap rings you buy at Walmart or elsewhere.  She has worn that one ever since.

The irony.  I could have bought my wife a VERY cheap engagement ring that was easily replaced.  Because I did not, I have probably spent far MORE than normal.  I don't think spending two months salary on a new engagement ring for her would be a good investment today, as she would still put it safely away and never wear it. 

I love my wife.