Is This a Joke?

SilentOne

I thought I'd start a list of signs that something posted online is in jest, not serious.

1) The poster says so outright. "Just messing with you," "Just kidding around," etc.

2) Somebody familiar with the poster reacts with a laughing face.

3) A video is included, especially one with a laugh track. If it is a non-humorous explanatory video, the post may be serious.

4) Most emojis indicate some degree of funning is involved.

Feel free to clarify or add to the list.

Old: “80% of communication is nonverbal. Body language, facial expressions, tone of voice, eye contact. It all fills in the meaning of what you’re trying to communicate.”

New: “80% of communication is non-text.  Emojis, memes, mutually understood cultural references, in-jokes, hidden meanings, previously existing relationships establishing which layer of hidden snark or alternate definition you are picking. It fills in the meaning of what you are trying to communicate and helps people avoid encountering Poe’s law.”

And by the way, we must talk about Poe's law.  From Wikipedia: "Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture stating that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers for a sincere expression of the parodied views."

In other words, the less you know about someone or what they're talking about, the more likely it is to miss when they're being snarky or sarcastic or ironic or meta.

3 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

And by the way, we must talk about Poe's law.  From Wikipedia: "Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture stating that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers for a sincere expression of the parodied views."

In other words, the less you know about someone or what they're talking about, the more likely it is to miss when they're being snarky or sarcastic or ironic or meta.

Are you serious?

44 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

I thought I'd start a list of signs that something posted online is in jest, not serious.

Honestly, the wise internet person these days, will have a hefty amount of "is this person serious" in them.  They won't take things seriously until they have confirmation of seriousness.  

Of course, if you're the kind who likes to be offended (or says they don't but end up being offended anyway), then the internet is a renewable source of free energy.  You will never lack in things from which you may take offense.  

GrammarNaziTrolllingIMG_0455.JPG.f6668d9737bb0a435b469a49f86a1357.JPG

Guest MormonGator

This is why relationships are so important. I'm much more likely to give someone the benefit of the doubt between the line of joke/insult if I've taken the time to get to know them a little bit. 

I really can't figure out why "lovers" text each other for hours. I would much rather speak on the phone. Texting just lacks so much feeling. 

I text my wife on occasion when I need to send her some tid bit of information.... A shopping list, an address, when I will be home, etc. If I want conversation, I call. 

Now I can understand that if you are at work or school or whatever, you can't talk so texting is your option, but when actual calling is possible, people still resort to texting.  I really don't get it. 

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, Lost Boy said:

I really can't figure out why "lovers" text each other for hours. I would much rather speak on the phone. Texting just lacks so much feeling. 

I text my wife on occasion when I need to send her some tid bit of information.... A shopping list, an address, when I will be home, etc. If I want conversation, I call. 

Now I can understand that if you are at work or school or whatever, you can't talk so texting is your option, but when actual calling is possible, people still resort to texting.  I really don't get it. 

Ever since we have the exchange student, @LadyGator and I have been texting in Chinese to one another. It's so cool, it's like our own private language. 

On 8/24/2018 at 2:08 PM, SilentOne said:

Feel free to clarify or add to the list.

It's not fun anymore if you feel the need to explain that it's a joke.

The best jokes are those where you're joking and the other guys - especially the MSM - treats it like serious.  Because then it becomes an "inside joke".  Perfect example - Kekistan.

On 8/26/2018 at 8:01 AM, Lost Boy said:

I used to not get it.  Then my Gen Z kids turned teen-agers.  Now I get it.  My family group-text constantly.  The advantage to texting besides being able to do it anywhere while doing anything (well, you shouldn't do it when driving) is it is multimedia.  You can share videos, art, a wikipedia page, etc. etc., and especially dank memes, even from the other side of the planet. There's no need for all of your friends to bike to your house anymore to share a funny snippet of Good Mythical Morning. 

Texting is now part of internet culture and it comes with its own kind of wit.  I used to be queen of wisecracks when I was a teenager as I was the best at whipping out comebacks in English.  In my day, being able to speak English is already high on the totem pole, being able to be witty in English is pinnacle.  Today, being able to convey wit in 100 characters or less gives you unrivaled troll powers among your peers.

Anyway, for friends IRL, texting is just one method of communication.  All the personal interaction is still there and isn't diminished.  I know because there's always a kid from another mother or 2 sleeping on our couch.

• 5 years later...
11 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

This link was looking for a joke thread, so I picked this one.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0hXNKyP5hO/?igsh=MTlrNjNicmIyYmJrOQ==

I had to steal that one for FB. Yes, I still use FB occasionally. Probably more than I should.

UPDATE: I took it down. The author is so hateful that I just can't condone sending my friends and family to her Instagram. But it sure was funny.

Edited by Vort

On 2/11/2024 at 12:46 AM, mordorbund said:

The first 4 lines hits different when you’ve been reading Jacobean English.

IMG_6125.thumb.jpeg.40e417b0d3638950055ab6d957a5d073.jpeg

That reminds me of when I was at Loughborough Univertity, the following notice was posted all over campus:

SEXUAL HARASSMENT 

USING THE OVERHEAD PROJECTOR

(Actually two separate workshops)