Thinking about abstaining from politics

Tyme

I really love politics. It's just that it consumes me and I've placed it higher than the gospel before. I think that the gospel is more important than politics. The only way I can place the gospel higher is if I abstain from politics. With voting being today I'm thinking strongly about not voting.

Guest Godless

That's your choice, but personally I think it's an ill-advised one. Major elections happen every two years. It doesn't take much time to educate yourself about your candidates. You can do your civic duty without letting politics rule your life. I can definitely understand if you're tired of the pre-election discourse and debate that tends to dominate airwaves and news cycles. It's exhausting, I know. Tuning that out is one thing. Skipping the voting booth is another thing entirely. It's the loudest voice you have in your community. Cast your vote. Then you can forget about politics for the next two years if you so choose. 

I'm not sure how voting puts politics before the gospel.  Those are, by and large, two distinct constructs.

What's more, if all people who were truly committed to "the gospel" chose not to participate in "politics," the voice of religion would be dangerously unrepresented in civic circles. 

I really don't care what your religious views or political views are.  But it is crucial to the democratic process that those views be represented at the ballot box.  When you choose to abstain from voting, you make our shared social environment worse.

It's not necessarily voting that puts politics over the gospel. The problem is that when I get involved in politics I go overboard. I start thinking and acting like politics is more important than than the gospel. It's better that I just stay far away from all things politics. That includes - for me - voting. It's a sacrifice worth making according to my calculations. If I don't stay away from politics I won't be on the spiritual plane I want to be. I know me. If I get involved with politics the gospel will fall by the wayside. It's a personal decision.

That's not to say being involved in politics or voting is detrimental to everybody's spiritual well being. I would advise if you're a normal human being to get involved and to vote. As for most people, they can place the gospel above politics when involved. It can even enhance spirituality for some people. In addition, I think the church strongly recommends getting involved and voting. It's important no doubt.

1 hour ago, Tyme said:

It's not necessarily voting that puts politics over the gospel. The problem is that when I get involved in politics I go overboard. I start thinking and acting like politics is more important than than the gospel. It's better that I just stay far away from all things politics. That includes - for me - voting. It's a sacrifice worth making according to my calculations. If I don't stay away from politics I won't be on the spiritual plane I want to be. I know me. If I get involved with politics the gospel will fall by the wayside. It's a personal decision.

That's not to say being involved in politics or voting is detrimental to everybody's spiritual well being. I would advise if you're a normal human being to get involved and to vote. As for most people, they can place the gospel above politics when involved. It can even enhance spirituality for some people. In addition, I think the church strongly recommends getting involved and voting. It's important no doubt.

My kid does this with his piano or his books.  He gets so into it that he spends all his time on it and neglects everything else.  So then I remind him he needs to get off the piano because he hasn't done his school essay so he goes dramatic and tells me, "fine, I'll never play piano ever again!".  I just roll my eyes.  He's the ward choir pianist.

It's a very immature thing to do.  You know you have the tendency to go into full immersion on it that you start neglecting everything else.  The answer is not to renege on your civic duty.  The answer is to learn to moderate yourself.  Civic involvement is a gospel principle!

That said, if you're voting Democrat today, then yes, please neglect your civic duty.  ;)

Edited by anatess2

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

The answer is to learn to moderate yourself.

Yes, this is indeed the answer, for all of us who tend to over-indulge in a single thing.

That said, I can understand the OP's thinking and would make the following recommendation:

1) Vote today.  Presumably you've already been heavily involved in politics and therefore know the issues and candidates.  The Lord has instructed us to educate ourselves on these things and then to vote.  So obey the Lord.

2) Then start your political fast.  As Jane pointed out, one doesn't need to be immersed in the muck of politics in order to get educated and vote.  So step out after today's vote, and stay out until the next election draws near.  That should help you lose your taste for the addiction and come back in moderation when the time comes.

I'll compare this to something I did years ago:

I used to carry a small amount of cash all the time.  And I used to go to the vending machine at work every (working) day and buy a candy bar.  I knew this wasn't good for me, but also knew I couldn't resist the temptation, so I stopped carrying cash altogether.  After some length of time (can't remember), I became unaccustomed to candy bars.  I knew I was safe when one day I was given a candy bar and didn't want to eat past about a third of it - it was too much!  This was a wonderful feeling.

For a couple of years now, I have used only cash in local stores.  I carry cash all the time.  But in all that time, I've never used that cash in a vending machine at work (for a candy bar - I bought OJ once when I felt like I might be getting sick, and an ice cream bar on a particularly frustrating day, but those are the only two occasions I can recall in 2+ years).

Basically, I'm suggesting that perhaps your political "fast" will help you lose your taste for being in the thick of it, and when the next election cycle comes around, you'll be content to only do the required research on issues and candidates without spending all your time immersed in the debate / contention people tend to have.

18 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

That said, if you're voting Democrat today, then yes, please neglect your civic duty.  ;)

My two favorite politicians are Congressman Grijalva and Sen. Sanders. They are the farthest left in the Congress and Senate. It goes without saying you probably won't like how I vote. I am voting for a Republican in Congress because he is strong on mental health. Also thinking about voting for a Republican Senate candidate. His opponent is very weak on veterans. It's about a 70% chance I'll vote for the Democrat.

13 minutes ago, zil said:

Yes, this is indeed the answer, for all of us who tend to over-indulge in a single thing.

That said, I can understand the OP's thinking and would make the following recommendation:

1) Vote today.  Presumably you've already been heavily involved in politics and therefore know the issues and candidates.  The Lord has instructed us to educate ourselves on these things and then to vote.  So obey the Lord.

2) Then start your political fast.  As Jane pointed out, one doesn't need to be immersed in the muck of politics in order to get educated and vote.  So step out after today's vote, and stay out until the next election draws near.  That should help you lose your taste for the addiction and come back in moderation when the time comes.

I'll compare this to something I did years ago:

I used to carry a small amount of cash all the time.  And I used to go to the vending machine at work every (working) day and buy a candy bar.  I knew this wasn't good for me, but also knew I couldn't resist the temptation, so I stopped carrying cash altogether.  After some length of time (can't remember), I became unaccustomed to candy bars.  I knew I was safe when one day I was given a candy bar and didn't want to eat past about a third of it - it was too much!  This was a wonderful feeling.

For a couple of years now, I have used only cash in local stores.  I carry cash all the time.  But in all that time, I've never used that cash in a vending machine at work (for a candy bar - I bought OJ once when I felt like I might be getting sick, and an ice cream bar on a particularly frustrating day, but those are the only two occasions I can recall in 2+ years).

Basically, I'm suggesting that perhaps your political "fast" will help you lose your taste for being in the thick of it, and when the next election cycle comes around, you'll be content to only do the required research on issues and candidates without spending all your time immersed in the debate / contention people tend to have.

I'm going to roll with that. That is very wise advice.

Just now, let’s roll said:

Godspeed to you Tyme.

i think I’ve voted by mail for the last time.  I miss standing in line at the polls and seeing my fellow citizens use their franchise in accordance with their beliefs.

My husband voted last Saturday.  He drove to 3 polling stations around me and all 3 had over 2-hour long wait lines!

3 hours ago, Tyme said:

I really love politics. It's just that it consumes me and I've placed it higher than the gospel before. I think that the gospel is more important than politics. The only way I can place the gospel higher is if I abstain from politics. With voting being today I'm thinking strongly about not voting.

There's a happy medium.  Vote, don't obsess.

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

My husband voted last Saturday.  He drove to 3 polling stations around me and all 3 had over 2-hour long wait lines!

Hence the trade off.  Maybe I can have the best of both worlds, vote by mail for convenience, but go to my polling place for 30 minutes or so to get my dose of democracy. I certainly don’t need a two hour dose. 😀

33 minutes ago, let’s roll said:

Hence the trade off.  Maybe I can have the best of both worlds, vote by mail for convenience, but go to my polling place for 30 minutes or so to get my dose of democracy. I certainly don’t need a two hour dose. 😀

I'm sure it would have been a come-in-then-go situation if he didn't wait until the last days of early voting.  It seemed like all the early voters decided to vote on the last possible day.

P.S.  My husband has never had to wait that long to vote!  Not even in 2010 when the voter turnout in my neck of the woods was at its all time high!

Edited by anatess2

From Eler Ballards April 2018 Conference address:

Church members—both men and women—should not hesitate, if they desire, to run for public office at any level of government wherever they live. Our voices are essential today and important in our schools, our cities, and our countries. Where democracy exists, it is our duty as members to vote for honorable men and women who are willing to serve.

11 hours ago, askandanswer said:

From Eler Ballards April 2018 Conference address:

Church members—both men and women—should not hesitate, if they desire, to run for public office at any level of government wherever they live. Our voices are essential today and important in our schools, our cities, and our countries. Where democracy exists, it is our duty as members to vote for honorable men and women who are willing to serve.

That's why I wrote in "David Bednar" for every position on my ballot.