The Stickman Thread

zil2

8 hours ago, Vort said:

Multiple thumbs up. I hope you and Klaw enjoy this small but integral part of my early childhood.

:) Very fun, and cleverly worded in places.  I don't think Klaw was paying close attention though.  I have a feeling Harold may be in big trouble come morning... :)  (I have no memory of this, but apparently when I was very little I drew a bunch of flowers on the wall of my bedroom with crayons.  When Mom found me and asked me - no doubt furiously - what I was doing, I reportedly said, "I wanted pretty pictures on my wall." :D Seems perfectly logical course of action to me...)

14 hours ago, zil2 said:

I have no memory of this, but apparently when I was very little I drew a bunch of flowers on the wall of my bedroom with crayons.  When Mom found me and asked me - no doubt furiously - what I was doing, I reportedly said, "I wanted pretty pictures on my wall." :D Seems perfectly logical course of action to me...)

Oh sure, mom can glue entire rolls of pictures to the wall, but I color one small patch……

• 1 month later...

Here's one I drew when our youngest was five and was upset that he didn't get to carry the flowers to the bedroom to give Mama her Mother's Day breakfast in bed. He curled up into a ball and pouted, and one of his older brothers found a lot of humor in the situation. The baby is at least an inch taller than that older brother now, so I guess that's his revenge.

No photo description available.

59 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

@zil2, what got you into fountain pens? 

:D  When I was in my 20s and working my first real job and "rich", I thought it would be cool (or sophisticated or something) to get a fountain pen.  (I was in Moscow at the time and got the fountain pen in Vienna - a Waterman.)  I enjoyed it, but something went wrong with it, and this being the stone age, I put it in the box and forgot about it until around October of 2015 when YouTube began, for reasons I could not imagine1, "suggesting" that I watch fountain pen review videos.  They showed up over and over and over.  And one day I said, "How does one yammer on for 20 minutes about a fountain pen?"  So I watched the video.  When it was over, I watched about a billion others, investigated pen and ink prices, looked for paper, and in January of 2016 ordered a fountain pen and a bunch of ink.  The pen arrived in early February and I don't think I had written more than two sentences with it before I ordered a second, identical one (so I could fill it with a different color of ink). :animatedlol:

It's possible I went a little crazy after that.  Eventually the pen phase calmed down and I entered my ink and paper phase.  The paper phase is mostly settled (though they are still making new papers now and then), but I don't think the ink phase will ever end - love me some variety! :D

And yes, eventually, I figured out what was wrong with my first pen, fixed it, and still have it today. :)

1Seriously, I didn't use the internet for investigating writing implements - I'd long since settled on the UNIBall Deluxe Micro (rollerball) and wasn't about to be swayed...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 8:01 PM, zil2 said:

:D  When I was in my 20s and working my first real job and "rich", I thought it would be cool (or sophisticated or something) to get a fountain pen.  (I was in Moscow at the time and got the fountain pen in Vienna - a Waterman.)  I enjoyed it, but something went wrong with it, and this being the stone age, I put it in the box and forgot about it until around October of 2015 when YouTube began, for reasons I could not imagine1, "suggesting" that I watch fountain pen review videos.  They showed up over and over and over.  And one day I said, "How does one yammer on for 20 minutes about a fountain pen?"  So I watched the video.  When it was over, I watched about a billion others, investigated pen and ink prices, looked for paper, and in January of 2016 ordered a fountain pen and a bunch of ink.  The pen arrived in early February and I don't think I had written more than two sentences with it before I ordered a second, identical one (so I could fill it with a different color of ink). :animatedlol:

It's possible I went a little crazy after that.  Eventually the pen phase calmed down and I entered my ink and paper phase.  The paper phase is mostly settled (though they are still making new papers now and then), but I don't think the ink phase will ever end - love me some variety! :D

And yes, eventually, I figured out what was wrong with my first pen, fixed it, and still have it today. :)

1Seriously, I didn't use the internet for investigating writing implements - I'd long since settled on the UNIBall Deluxe Micro (rollerball) and wasn't about to be swayed...

I always thought your picture was something to do with the pen being "mightier than the sword" - though I wondered why the pen should be holding the sword - and I thought maybe it was the pen and the sword united.

I like fountain pens too - though I don't like the way in cheaper ones the ink oozes up from the nib and gets all over your fingers. Once a pen starts doing that there's no stopping it - even if you soak it in water to get all the ink out, the moment you refill it it starts doing the same nonsense.

It's funny to think how new the fountain pen is, considering we hardly ever use it now. When I went to school*, all the desks had ink-well holes in them. Ink wells were never actually put into them, but the desks must have been made in the pre-fountain-pen era.

*Maybe this isn't so much about how new fountain pens are as how old I am. *Sigh*

8 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

though I don't like the way in cheaper ones the ink oozes up from the nib and gets all over your fingers.

The only ones I've seen do that have a cracked grip section.  That either needs to be repaired or trashed.

11 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

I always thought your picture was something to do with the pen being "mightier than the sword" - though I wondered why the pen should be holding the sword - and I thought maybe it was the pen and the sword united.

Nope.  It all started with this comment.  ("Guest" in this thread is @Carborendum's previous incarnation.)  All instances of "sheathen" will (I think) relate.  As I recall, we had quite a lot of fun and that's when I drew my avatar.

(And doing this search reveals that we used to have a lot more fun around here.  What in the world is wrong with us?)

1 hour ago, zil2 said:

(And doing this search reveals that we used to have a lot more fun around here.  What in the world is wrong with us?)

Hmmmm... we'll have to try to think what might liven things up again. What about....(and I'm just tossing this up in the air here)....a competition to draw what we think each other look like? And the best drawing of each has to become their avatar?

(It's probably been thought of already!)