Waffle House Index

mikbone

I do not understand how bad the problem was.  A few weeks ago Utah had a storm that dumped 3 inches in a couple of hours and fluded a bunch of homes and places.  I personally know individuals who were flooded - mostly basements. The Utah warnings came about an hour before the storm.  I think California had a couple of days.  

The Traveler

Well, for those who want a more honest economic forcast...

With Waffle houses being the weather severity forcasting...

For real world exchanges of money beyond what governments manipulate it to be is...

The Big Mac Index...

It currently indicates that inflation in Western Europe and the US may have been somewhat worse than is stated in the news and other locations from what I can tell of it.

On 8/23/2023 at 7:28 PM, JohnsonJones said:

The Big Mac Index...

I remember in 2008, I mis-ordered at Burger King, and ended up paying a whopping SEVEN DOLLARS for a double bacon whopper supersized meal.  For the first 15 years of our kids' lives, the fast foodery for our family of four rarely went above $20.   Hungry high school kids would order 2 mcdoubles and 1 chicken sandwich at a buck each, and build one sandwich with bun/mcdouble/chicken/mcdouble/bun.  You could be cool for $3.

Now people are keeping their Costco memberships just to keep that sweet sweet $1.50 hot dog in their diet.  

This thread needs to die! :angry2:  Every time I see it, I want waffles, but I'm way too worn out to make waffles (and I think I need to make more syrup, too, and I'm too worn out for that, too).  So, everyone just needs to quit posting here.

And don't tell me to go to a Waffle House - there isn't one in the area (to my knowledge), or an IHOP - neither one makes waffles as good as my home-made waffles.

7 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

OKAY...the next Thirdhour.org staff meeting is scheduled at @zil2's house. Home-made waffles and home-made syrup are on the menu. Coolio!

Just one problem - my house is designed for one (plus kitten) - there's nowhere for folks to sit and eat.  Buy I've taken my waffle-making supplies on the road before, so I could do it again. :)

4 hours ago, zil2 said:

This thread needs to die! :angry2:  Every time I see it, I want waffles, but I'm way too worn out to make waffles (and I think I need to make more syrup, too, and I'm too worn out for that, too).  So, everyone just needs to quit posting here.

And don't tell me to go to a Waffle House - there isn't one in the area (to my knowledge), or an IHOP - neither one makes waffles as good as my home-made waffles.

Come to my house on Sunday afternoon. Every other week, we eat a Sunday brunch of waffles and sausages. Good waffles, too. If you come on non-waffle Sunday, we have pancakes and bacon, so it's all good.

19 minutes ago, Vort said:

Come to my house on Sunday afternoon. Every other week, we eat a Sunday brunch of waffles and sausages. Good waffles, too. If you come on non-waffle Sunday, we have pancakes and bacon, so it's all good.

If, one Sunday, I show up on your doorstep with a kitten in my arms, you have only yourself to blame! ;)

7 hours ago, Vort said:

7 hours ago, zil2 said:

If, one Sunday, I show up on your doorstep with a kitten in my arms, you have only yourself to blame! ;)

I don't think it's gotten that dire yet. Just bring syrup.

10 hours ago, Vort said:

It sounds wonderful, but what beverage could possibly wash all that down that doesn't break the WoW? 

20 hours ago, zil2 said:

You might call my household waffle connoisseurs.

The following is our recipe for Liege Waffles

IMG_0857.jpeg.a877a9502ad6a1c92ffbb002fd81bc82.jpeg

• 1 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast

• 1/4 cup scalded whole milk at 110-115 degrees

• 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. of water at 110-115 degrees

• 2 cups King Arthur Bread flour

• 1 large room temperature egg, lightly beaten

• 1Tbsp. + 1 tsp. light brown sugar

• 3/4 tsp. salt

• 8 1/2 Tbsp. soft room temperature unsalted butter

• 1 Tbsp. honey

• 2 tsp. vanilla

• 3/4 cup Belgian Pearl Sugar (“Lars Own” brand is an excellent choice)

We only do the Liege waffles on special occasions.  We make bacon waffles more regularly.  

And since we don’t drink, I feel justified in purchasing ‘fine’ maple syrups.IMG_0858.thumb.jpeg.3ad933fdc965ae54889b5653a71304db.jpeg

The above vintage almost feels like sinning.

I could go on and on…

6 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

It sounds wonderful, but what beverage could possibly wash all that down that doesn't break the WoW? 

Water or milk (trust me, OJ and bacon is not a good flavor combination!).