Two Parent Privilege

prisonchaplain

59 minutes ago, mikbone said:

IMG_0019.jpeg.bbe5f4f3fd00edf5581bf28734d064e0.jpeg

Whatever happened to this?

It's turned into LGBTQ indoctrination in schools, where some places will transition your children without informing parents, much less obtaining their consent.  Lawsuits are starting to get settled.

https://www.newsweek.com/california-mom-payout-school-transitioned-daughter-1823317

6 hours ago, LDSGator said:

I was once called a “right winger” because I’m generally against divorce and think kids do better with two parents. Granted it was just one time and probably 10 years ago. So it does happen. 

Wait!  Your' not a right-winger?  :confused:

15 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

Wait!  Your' not a right-winger?  :confused:

Depends on who you talk to. I still love Disney, got several Covid vaccines, read banned books and shop at Target. So I’m a SJW. 

A SJW who thinks you should be allowed to own an Ak-47 if you want too, kids shouldn’t be allowed to “switch genders”, and that taxation is almost always a form of legalized theft. 

1 hour ago, LDSGator said:

Depends on who you talk to. I still love Disney, got several Covid vaccines, read banned books and shop at Target. So I’m a SJW. 

A SJW who thinks you should be allowed to own an Ak-47 if you want too, kids shouldn’t be allowed to “switch genders”, and that taxation is almost always a form of legalized theft. 

Lol except for that last one, that's me.  But I'm a staunch constitutional Reagan/Sowell/Buckley/Will/Hayek/Friedman conservative, with maybe 2% Ayn Rand thrown in. 

Heck, I was even part of the covid phase III trial program.  

24 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Lol except for that last one, that's me.  But I'm a staunch constitutional Reagan/Sowell/Buckley/Will/Hayek/Friedman conservative, with maybe 2% Ayn Rand thrown in. 

Heck, I was even part of the covid phase III trial program.  

Same, mostly. Though obviously we won’t agree on everything. 

I’ve always thought of myself as an AuH2o conservative, influenced by Ron Paul/Ayn Rand/William F Buckley/Reagan/Eric Hoffer. 

2 hours ago, LDSGator said:

So you ARE an SJW--and could easily be a moderate Republican (though moderate anything sounds just strange these days). 😉

On 9/28/2023 at 11:22 AM, NeuroTypical said:

The black lives matter organization had, in it's 'about' section, a blurb about this.  I forget how it was worded, but it was basically "we need to reorganize government and society to properly support the other options besides the nuclear two parent family structure pushed by patriarchichal white-supremacy colonizers and racist institutions."

That particular blurb disappeared somewhere in 2020 as the whole world was stuck at home watching the riots and desperate to send money to whoever would make things better. 

They were Marxists (communists).  That's an ideal from the Marxists (not normally something they can institute, but it's in there) about an ideal society. 

On 9/29/2023 at 9:41 AM, LDSGator said:

Aren't you a Libertarian?  Which fits...most Gators seem to be against taxes as well and tend to do whatever they want within their sphere of influence.  In fact, when the government intervenes in their lives (such as dragging them out of someone's pool or going to a neighborhood where the gator is casually lying on someone's lawn and then putting the gator in a cage and taking it to a far away body of water) they tend to be a little aggravated.

On 9/29/2023 at 12:46 PM, zil2 said:

Southern Jehovah's Witness? :P

(Lest another joke be taken seriously, I know what SJW stands for...)

And here I thought it meant Single Jewish Woman...but then, that's only because when I hang out with my Bureau of Land Management Buddies, everyone seems to think I'm African American, but when I say that to others around me when I get back, they all think I've been to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. 

1 hour ago, JohnsonJones said:

Aren't you a Libertarian?  Which fits...most Gators seem to be against taxes as well and tend to do whatever they want within their sphere of influence.  In fact, when the government intervenes in their lives (such as dragging them out of someone's pool or going to a neighborhood where the gator is casually lying on someone's lawn and then putting the gator in a cage and taking it to a far away body of water) they tend to be a little aggravated

Lol!! Yes I am (Libertarian). I don’t agree with them on everything either. 

On 9/25/2023 at 4:35 PM, NeuroTypical said:

Something I've been trying to do on occasion with these folks, is talk about how much privilege rocks.  The correct activist take on things shouldn't be to destroy privilege for those that have it, but find ways to expand privilege so everyone has equal access to it.  

I've never met anyone on "my side" who wants to dismantle anyone's privilege, at least not in the way you mean. The ultimate end goal is to reduce or eliminate privilege, yes, by increasing the number of people who can reach it. After all, it's only a privilege if there are people who can't have it.

On 9/28/2023 at 12:22 PM, NeuroTypical said:

The black lives matter organization had, in it's 'about' section, a blurb about this.  I forget how it was worded, but it was basically "we need to reorganize government and society to properly support the other options besides the nuclear two parent family structure pushed by patriarchichal white-supremacy colonizers and racist institutions."

I don't see anything wrong with this. The way you're wording it doesn't indicate that they want to eliminate support for nuclear two parent households. They just want single-parent households to get the same support. Didn't you say that you want to expand access to privilege so everyone can have it? One way we do that is by treating all family formats as equal. And ultimately, the things that benefit single-parent families can also benefit nuclear ones. Things like paid family medical leave and paternity leave are essential for non-binary families. Would you consider it a bad thing for your nuclear family to have access to those things?

The benefits or privilege of two parent families come from a simple truth.   1 does not equal 2... 2 does not equal 1.  And like many of "Privilege"  I have no problem with other having the same privilege... in fact it is so often that I assume that they do have the same privilege that gets me in trouble.   I clearly have no problem with people having same privilege as me, otherwise I wouldn't be getting in so much trouble.

The problem I have is people demanding the "Privilege" without the price being paid.. or being paid by people from whom it is not due.  My parents paid the price for me to have a two parent privilege... I'm paying for my kids to have it.  No one else can pay for my kids but me and my wife.... and I can not pay for anyone else's. 

But it is absolutely insane to demand that society give everyone the two parent privilege... while simultaneously  gutting society ability to hold the parents accountable for giving to their children.   

1 minute ago, LDSGator said:

If you were born in this century in America you already have more “privileges” then an English King in the 1700’s. 

Hollywood has done a great job of making us think otherwise, hasn't it? 

Just now, zil2 said:

Hollywood has done a great job of making us think otherwise, hasn't it? 

Maybe.

I’m really stupid and I pay attention to Harry, Meghan, pro sports…and I understand how lucky everyone is in this country. It honestly doesn’t take much intellectual horsepower to see it. 

13 hours ago, Phoenix_person said:
On 9/28/2023 at 11:22 AM, NeuroTypical said:

I don't see anything wrong with this. The way you're wording it doesn't indicate that they want to eliminate support for nuclear two parent households. They just want single-parent households to get the same support. Didn't you say that you want to expand access to privilege so everyone can have it? One way we do that is by treating all family formats as equal. And ultimately, the things that benefit single-parent families can also benefit nuclear ones. Things like paid family medical leave and paternity leave are essential for non-binary families. Would you consider it a bad thing for your nuclear family to have access to those things?

A fair bunch of questions.

There are numerous transparently obvious advantages/privileges that come to the children born into and raised by 2 parent homes.  These kids enjoy privileges like lower rates of drug abuse, mental illness, suicide, experiencing abusive relationships, and teen pregnancy.  They commit fewer crimes and have lower rates of incarceration.

Yeah, I want everyone's kids to have more of the good things and less of the bad things.  And first and foremost, the most obvious solution, would be to extoll the virtues of the 2 parent nuclear family as hard as I can.  And to the extent that I'm willing to grit my teeth and get the government involved in 'helping', I'll go with having favored tax rates for married couples.

Not everyone will chose that path, but will want the benefits anyway.  You mention treating 'all family formats' as equal.  I wonder what that means to you?  I hear the notions of equity, where a just society goes about making it so those with less have access to more.  It always breaks down in the details, because it always comes down to the government taking and redistributing, and they always fail at it.

Maybe no clearer indicator of such things, is a good hard look at the rates of two parent families in the black community from WWII to present, while looking at all those other indicators I mentioned at the same time.   You have to also pay attention to the increases/participation in welfare programs, antidiscrimination laws, preferred lending/hiring practices, and other measures govt and society have enacted to level the playing field and bring about a more equitable solution.  

Put bluntly, you make it easier for dads to walk away, and more dads will walk away.  And the more the rest of society has to step up and take the place of the missing father, the more it sucks to be those kids.   

Find me a better answer than "just have society step up to make up for the absence of the father", because whenever we try, things don't get better. 

36 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Maybe.

I was thinking of movies and television (perhaps old ones, I haven't paid attention to movies for decades) that make it seem like things in the middle ages were grand and glorious - at least for royalty / nobility.

38 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

It honestly doesn’t take much intellectual horsepower to see it. 

Agreed, but some seem to have a vested interest in seeing otherwise.

Ways to encourage two-parent families:

1. End the marriage penalty (quite making couples who marry pay more taxes than those who are shacking up)

2. End the death tax (why shouldn't parents be allowed to pass down to their children the fruits of their labors without government confiscating the lion's share of it?)

3. Expand the Earned Income Credit (this is actually a moderate-to-liberal idea, but one I like)

4. Raise the income rates at which child credits become less then phase out

5. Encourage school choice--especially through tuition tax credits

6. Generally promote a culture of life rather than a culture of death. Population control schemes tend to end badly. Besides, wealthier countries are already running the risk of depopulation.  

1. What do people mean, when they say "marriage penalty"?  When you file taxes with the status "Married filing jointly", your taxes tend to be lower than single, or Married filing separately...

2. I mostly agree, although since the first $12.8 million of your estate can be passed down tax free, the inheritance tax really doesn't impact that many Americans, or hamper their desire to accumulate wealth.

3. EIC is an interesting thing.  While at the tax desk, I helped a couple and their umpteen kids claim ~$6k, almost the maximum.  They told us they aim for the "sweet spot", refusing to earn more income, so they could maximize the amount of EIC payments.  They did an awful lot of good - they had adopted like 3-5 foster children, and had 2-3 of their own.  They claimed (and I have no reason to doubt them) that their yearly tax refund funded clothing and birthdays for their children that would otherwise go without.     At the same time, us tax preparers were warned this is the most abused tax credit of them all.  Endless people show up with their low earnings and their list of social security numbers that they claim are their children.  Tax preparers usually demand proof the children exist.  Folks filing their own taxes don't need to provide proof, and their odds of getting caught are about the same as their odds of being hit by lightning.

4. As someone with kids entering adulthood, holy cow did I feel this impact when our kids stopped lowering our taxes by $2k a year.  Both are still dependent on mom and dad, although one has recently entered the workforce.

5. Yes, yes, yes a thousand times YES!   Vouchers please!  Make 'em available for homeschooling families too!   I'd vote for that.

6. Also yes X 1000.  For the reasons you mention, plus many others.