Hello October

mirkwood

10 hours ago, EH12NG said:

I'll happily answer questions given that there is no Micky taking. This event had a profound affect on me as a person. When our prophet speaks of personages not of the flesh, I don't have to look far in my own experience to grasp the concept. 

Good story, thanks! (It puts The Ghost of the Fifty Pence Piece in the shade! 😉)

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I have never heard this expression.  And I can think of several things this could mean (based on context).

What does this mean?  And where did that come from?

To take the mickey out of something means to make a joke out of it. No idea where it came from - anyone else know?

Less polite people would say "take the [rude word for urine]".

P.S. I did a bit of web searching. It seems that the "impolite version" was the original and "Mickey" came later.

"Mickey" is apparently a contraction of "Mickey Bliss", which is Cockney rhyming slang for...the bodily fluid mentioned in the impolite version.

But who was Mickey Bliss? No one seems to know for sure - though he may have been a popular music hall performer.

P.P.S. If you're not familiar with Cockney rhyming slang, it's best explained with a few examples:

Currant bun = sun

Saucepan lids = kids

Apples and pears = stairs

Adam and Eve = believe

Tit for tat = hat

Jam jar = car

Trouble and strife = wife

Mince pies = eyes

You get the idea...

Edited by Jamie123

18 hours ago, mirkwood said:

@EH12NG Which castle?

There are forces in this world that are not on our side and sometimes they are allowed to "manifest."

Just as one should never ask Heavenly Father for patience, one should never ask for the veil to be made thin. 

3 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

To take the mickey out of something means to make a joke out of it. No idea where it came from - anyone else know?

I don’t know where it came from but I have heard this said by Americans a few times. Usually after they make a self deprecating joke.

“I’m so stupid bro.” 

“Don’t say that about yourself.”

”Just taking the Mickey out of myself.” 

3 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

Currant bun = sun

Saucepan lids = kids

Apples and pears = stairs

Adam and Eve = believe

Tit for tat = hat

Jam jar = car

Trouble and strife = wife

Mince pies = eyes

It's been 30 years since I watched The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin - but I still remember

Kitchen sink = drink

(Nettle wine, if I remember correctly.)

(Also, @Ironhold I deleted your "delete me" posts.  It wasn't a ghost.)

(Or was it...)

1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

(Also, @Ironhold I deleted your "delete me" posts.  It wasn't a ghost.)

(Or was it...)

I think it's a glitch of some kind. I hit "submit reply", got up to go get something from the kitchen, and saw that my post hadn't gone up. Thinking I might not have actually pressed the button (not a single mouse I've plugged into this new computer has worked quite right for some reason) I pressed it again. When *that* didn't seem to post I refreshed the page and found that both attempts had in fact posted but the page had failed to refresh accordingly. 

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Kitchen sink = drink

(Nettle wine, if I remember correctly.)

Haha - I think you're right - brewed by his son-in-law, the "bearded prig"!

The Bearded Prig: (Objecting to Reggie having called him "a bearded prig" for the umpteenth time that day) Why am I a bearded prig?

Reggie: You really want to know?

BP: Yes!

Reggie: OK! [Takes a deep breath and gives a long, detailed explanation of exactly why he is a bearded prig] So that's why you're a bearded prig. OK?

BP: (Deflated) Er...OK.

Edited by Jamie123

So this weekend's episode of "Sammy Hagar's Top Rock Countdown" is him playing spooky songs from various artists because it's Halloween next week. 

He was rolling through such classics as "Werewolves of London" and "Welcome To My Nightmare", but I had to change the channel for a few minutes when a certain infamous Rolling Stones number came on. I've had enough go wrong today, and don't want to invite anything else to happen.