Hello October

mirkwood

On 10/25/2023 at 12:06 AM, LDSGator said:

IMG_0595.jpeg

This reminds me of Revelations 10:10

10 And I took the little book out of the angel’s hand, and aate it up; and it was in my mouth sweet as honey: and as soon as I had eaten it, my belly was bitter.

On 10/28/2023 at 5:07 AM, Jamie123 said:

Haha - I think you're right - brewed by his son-in-law, the "bearded prig"!

The Bearded Prig: (Objecting to Reggie having called him "a bearded prig" for the umpteenth time that day) Why am I a bearded prig?

Reggie: You really want to know?

BP: Yes!

Reggie: OK! [Takes a deep breath and gives a long, detailed explanation of exactly why he is a bearded prig] So that's why you're a bearded prig. OK?

BP: (Deflated) Er...OK.

trouble and strife - wife

19 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Tonight the human race has its last opportunity to see me in my Dad Bod Ken costume.  I doubt many at the church chili cookoff/trunk or treat will get it.

I vaguely remember a post about the Barbie movie and whatever you wore to that being a trial for Halloween?

1 hour ago, askandanswer said:

trouble and strife - wife

I've always assumed that Cockney rhyming slang is best used when the rhyming slang bears some relation to the thing being referenced. A sarcastic, negative association (like "trouble and strife" meaning "wife") would be gold. Is this the case?

7 hours ago, Vort said:

I've always assumed that Cockney rhyming slang is best used when the rhyming slang bears some relation to the thing being referenced. A sarcastic, negative association (like "trouble and strife" meaning "wife") would be gold. Is this the case?

I know very little about Cockney rhyming slang. Its rarely heard or used here. My grandmother was born in inner city London but I don't know if it was that tiny part of London where Cockney slang was common. About the only other example that I can recall of cockney slang - and who knows, it might be an Australian variant of Cockney slang -  is dog and bone - phone.  

Good bye October.  Hello, All Saints Day.  Here is some information about an ancient saint.

-----------------------------------------

Saint Valentine was a Catholic priest who had also worked as a doctor. He lived in Italy during the third century Anno Domini and served as a priest in Rome.

Historians don’t know much about Valentine’s early life. They pick up Valentine’s story after he began working as a priest. Valentine became famous for marrying couples who were in love but couldn’t get legally married in Rome during the reign of Emperor Claudius II, who outlawed weddings. Claudius wanted to recruit lots of men to be soldiers in his army and thought that marriage would be an obstacle to recruiting new soldiers. He also wanted to prevent his existing soldiers from getting married because he thought that marriage would distract them from their work.

When Emperor Claudius discovered that Valentine was performing weddings, he sent Valentine to jail. Valentine used his time in jail to continue to reach out to people with the love that he said Jesus Christ gave him for others.

He befriended his jailer, Asterious, who became so impressed with Valentine’s wisdom that he asked Valentine to help his daughter, Julia, with her lessons. Julia was blind and needed someone to read material for her to learn it. Valentine became friends with Julia through his work with her when she came to visit him in jail.

Emperor Claudius also came to like Valentine. He offered to pardon Valentine and set him free if Valentine would renounce his Christian faith and agree to worship the Roman gods. Not only did Valentine refuse to leave his faith, he also encouraged Emperor Claudius to place his trust in Christ. Valentine’s faithful choices cost him his life. Emperor Claudius was so enraged at Valentine’s response that he sentenced Valentine to die.

Before he was killed, Valentine wrote a last note to encourage Julia to stay close to Jesus and to thank her for being his friend. He signed the note: “From your Valentine.” That note inspired people to begin writing their own loving messages to people on Valentine’s Feast Day, February 14th, which is celebrated on the same day on which Valentine was martyred.

Valentine was beaten, stoned, and beheaded on February 14, 270. People who remembered his loving service to many young couples began celebrating his life, and he came to be regarded as a saint through whom God had worked to help people in miraculous ways. By the year 496, Pope Gelasius designated February 14th as Valentine’s official feast day.

42 minutes ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

Valentine was beaten, stoned, and beheaded on February 14, 270. People who remembered his loving service to many young couples began celebrating his life, and he came to be regarded as a saint through whom God had worked to help people in miraculous ways. By the year 496, Pope Gelasius designated February 14th as Valentine’s official feast day.

I knew Valentine was a Roman martyr but this story is new to me - thanks!

Richmal Crompton once wrote a short story called "St. Mars' Day", featuring her recurring hero William Brown. William is a mischievous 11-year-old boy who is (along with most of his friends) sick of celebrating Valentine's day each year, and thinks it's high time to change it to "Mars' Day" (Mars being the "saint" of war). His opinion of St. Valentine was (quoting with questionable accuracy from memory):

"Why did he spend all his time writing soppy love letters to his girlfriend instead of getting himself properly martyred like all the other the other saints?"

I guess this is the answer!