Hello October

mirkwood

Around 2012 I took a nightshift job at a luxury 5 star hotel having spent 6 years caring for my mother who had just passed a few weeks before hand. The hotel was out in the sticks and it was split into 2 parts. 

The newer building which had all the trapping that a weary traveller would expect in the 21st century. Bar, restaurant, and a top of the line pool and spa. On top of the hill however, sat a very very old castle. 

I settled in just fine and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Well, not quite. You see every now and then I'd start a shift and do my nightly walk around the premises to do the fire alarm checks. I did those twice a night. And sometimes, I'd come across a pile of washing dumped outside the rooms. And sometimes, I'd even come across a vacuum sitting in the middle of the room, still plugged in blasting away. I now know this is because the chamber maids were asked to work in the castle by themselves and when they got spooked they'd cut and run. Nobody else during the day would go up given the state the maids were in. 

So after settling in the months of hard work and drama passed. December arrived and one night ( i believe it was around december 23rd ) if memory serves me well, I think this would have been a Sunday because it was the second last shift of my rota and it was very very quiet. Only 1 guest was with us that night although I didn't know this at the time. 

So my boss and I were hanging in the office at around 2:30 am, when she announced she was going for a cigarette break. I sat on the chair and watched the cctv with one screen focusing on her. It was then i received a phone-call from the castle. Room 4 I believe. There was nothing there. Just a little static and crackling before the line going dead. Another minute passes and another call comes in. Room 11 this time. Same thing happened. When the third call came in I figured the lines were dodgy  but there was clearly some disturbance up at the castle. Noise complaint is how I figured it. 

My boss comes back and I grab the device I use to for my fire checkpoints. Just before I left reception and went through the door I said to my boss I was also going to go up to the castle and  check on the noise complaints. When I get to the door of the castle she hits me up over the radio and asks '' what complaints? '' then after I told her about the calls she radioed back and said '' there is only one guest booked in tonight and he's down here in the main complex. ''. 

From there, I told her I was going to do a full sweep of the rooms because it sounds like maybe a homeless person had found a maids key and used it for a place to sleep over the festive period. She informed me that she'd switched the cctv to the castle and had all 3 entrances and exists covered. 

I sweep the whole building and come up empty handed after 40 minutes. My boss asks me what actually happened during her break and I gave her the full details. The reason I came to the conclusion about the homeless person is because I'm convinced I heard a snicker down the line just before the last call cut off. 

I said I'd do one more sweep which she was dead against as she wanted to call the police. But this time, I checked the basement, the hidden passageways and all the cupboards. Anything that had a blanket on it I pulled it off. I looked under every bed, checked every closet and pulled back every shower curtain. Nothing. 

I go to the main lobby in the castle after another hour of checking and my boss radios me, you see its hard to radio when in the castle as the signal gets jammed so often whatever is to be said, needs to wait until you can see the person on camera. She sounded panicked and was urging me to return to the complex and she was now definitely going to call the police but I could tell something was stopping her. Apparently, during my second sweep, she had taken 3 phone calls from the castle. I knew by her voice, that the stalwart and headstrong boss was shaken. 

I took it personally and said I was going to check a third time. Half way through the third check she radioed me and asked me where  I was. I was at room 17, just out of shot of the camera. With a cracked voice and weak radio signal I heard the words '' call '' and '' 14 '' room 14 was just round the corner. So i walked over and went straight into the room using my masterkey. 

Nothing. Nobody, nada. 

I even touched underneath the taps in the bathroom with my finger to get an indication of how recent it was used. Everything was bone dry, even dusty. The castle was only really for wedding guests and high paying customers. By now I'm beginning to think my homeless man hypothesis had some major flaws in it. 

So, I exit room 14 and look up to the camera and shrug. I told her I'd checked the phone. Last number was dialled 2 weeks previous. So I tell her I have 4 rooms to go and I'll head back. 

I turn the corner and right there at the bottom of the corridor was a tall dark figure staring right at me. No emotion, dead eyes and a gaunt look on his face. When I say tall I'm talking 6'8'' maybe. He cleared the door frame anyway. There was something of a 10 to 15 second stand off which felt like an eternity. I remember sliding my hand into my pocket and crunching my keys up into a make shift weapon. I looked this guy right in the eyes and didn't flinch. 

He moved towards me with one step then as cliche as it sounds, hung right ( my left ) and went straight through the wall. I pulled myself together and went through the nearest door to where he disappeared. Room 20 I believe. 

Nothing, nobody. All that was there was a bone biting cold that I have never experienced before or since. It was a dry cold, unusually deep setting. Like it bypassed the flesh and went straight to the bone. I nearly jumped out my skin when the radio crackled and my boss asked me where I was. I said nothing, I just headed back to the complex. 

I didn't mention a word about the tall man in the old watchman like cloak/jacket. I simply said I couldn't find the source of the calls and offered the excuse of local phone works being the cause of the disruption. 

I finished up my work and headed home early morning. I told my father all about it, we then hit the gym and I went to bed. 

Oddly enough the next night ( my last shift ) everyone was looking at me. Turns out my boss stayed behind and told everyone about the events of the night before. All the old timers who had kept their distance until that point were now talking to me freely. Even the maids apologised for all the times I entered the castle and found it abandoned and a mess. The bar staff, who were sometimes sent up alone to get extra glasses etc would ask me when I was doing my fire check so they weren't alone. 

Someone told me that they felt sorry for my boss, because it has happened twice before. 

In the end, I stayed there for another 6 months before finding something more on my level without further incidents. A few years later my dad was sitting on the sofa and he pulled my attention to his paper. There had been a 4 page spread on the countries most haunted castles. My old work was one of them. 

Way down the page, it told of account where a business man was up in the castle one night on his own. He ran down to reception wearing nothing but an open business shirt and his boxers while holding his luggage. he reported to the front desk that he went walk about in the castle looking for an ice box seeing that his phone wasn't working to call reception. Then all of a sudden he spotted a tall dark cloaked figure staring at him from the door of one of the rooms. 

My dad and I said nothing, we simply nodded at each other and moved on with the rest of our day. 

Those events, have raised more questions than provided answers. I have confided in very few people over the years because I find their responses to flicker between childish and accusatory. All I know, is that I know what I saw and I have no answers. I just know I was there and what happened happened. How it fits into the grand scheme of things I'll probably never know. But my opinions on death and life had changed drastically because of it. 

I've never been back there, although I have tried to convince people to come join me. But I know of many people who have either stayed there or worked there and all admit to feeling freaked out on a regular basis. 

I'll happily answer questions given that there is no Micky taking. This event had a profound affect on me as a person. When our prophet speaks of personages not of the flesh, I don't have to look far in my own experience to grasp the concept. 

58 minutes ago, EH12NG said:

Around 2012 I took a nightshift job at a luxury 5 star hotel having spent 6 years caring for my mother who had just passed a few weeks before hand. The hotel was out in the sticks and it was split into 2 parts. 

The newer building which had all the trapping that a weary traveller would expect in the 21st century. Bar, restaurant, and a top of the line pool and spa. On top of the hill however, sat a very very old castle. 

I settled in just fine and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Well, not quite. You see every now and then I'd start a shift and do my nightly walk around the premises to do the fire alarm checks. I did those twice a night. And sometimes, I'd come across a pile of washing dumped outside the rooms. And sometimes, I'd even come across a vacuum sitting in the middle of the room, still plugged in blasting away. I now know this is because the chamber maids were asked to work in the castle by themselves and when they got spooked they'd cut and run. Nobody else during the day would go up given the state the maids were in. 

So after settling in the months of hard work and drama passed. December arrived and one night ( i believe it was around december 23rd ) if memory serves me well, I think this would have been a Sunday because it was the second last shift of my rota and it was very very quiet. Only 1 guest was with us that night although I didn't know this at the time. 

So my boss and I were hanging in the office at around 2:30 am, when she announced she was going for a cigarette break. I sat on the chair and watched the cctv with one screen focusing on her. It was then i received a phone-call from the castle. Room 4 I believe. There was nothing there. Just a little static and crackling before the line going dead. Another minute passes and another call comes in. Room 11 this time. Same thing happened. When the third call came in I figured the lines were dodgy  but there was clearly some disturbance up at the castle. Noise complaint is how I figured it. 

My boss comes back and I grab the device I use to for my fire checkpoints. Just before I left reception and went through the door I said to my boss I was also going to go up to the castle and  check on the noise complaints. When I get to the door of the castle she hits me up over the radio and asks '' what complaints? '' then after I told her about the calls she radioed back and said '' there is only one guest booked in tonight and he's down here in the main complex. ''. 

From there, I told her I was going to do a full sweep of the rooms because it sounds like maybe a homeless person had found a maids key and used it for a place to sleep over the festive period. She informed me that she'd switched the cctv to the castle and had all 3 entrances and exists covered. 

I sweep the whole building and come up empty handed after 40 minutes. My boss asks me what actually happened during her break and I gave her the full details. The reason I came to the conclusion about the homeless person is because I'm convinced I heard a snicker down the line just before the last call cut off. 

I said I'd do one more sweep which she was dead against as she wanted to call the police. But this time, I checked the basement, the hidden passageways and all the cupboards. Anything that had a blanket on it I pulled it off. I looked under every bed, checked every closet and pulled back every shower curtain. Nothing. 

I go to the main lobby in the castle after another hour of checking and my boss radios me, you see its hard to radio when in the castle as the signal gets jammed so often whatever is to be said, needs to wait until you can see the person on camera. She sounded panicked and was urging me to return to the complex and she was now definitely going to call the police but I could tell something was stopping her. Apparently, during my second sweep, she had taken 3 phone calls from the castle. I knew by her voice, that the stalwart and headstrong boss was shaken. 

I took it personally and said I was going to check a third time. Half way through the third check she radioed me and asked me where  I was. I was at room 17, just out of shot of the camera. With a cracked voice and weak radio signal I heard the words '' call '' and '' 14 '' room 14 was just round the corner. So i walked over and went straight into the room using my masterkey. 

Nothing. Nobody, nada. 

I even touched underneath the taps in the bathroom with my finger to get an indication of how recent it was used. Everything was bone dry, even dusty. The castle was only really for wedding guests and high paying customers. By now I'm beginning to think my homeless man hypothesis had some major flaws in it. 

So, I exit room 14 and look up to the camera and shrug. I told her I'd checked the phone. Last number was dialled 2 weeks previous. So I tell her I have 4 rooms to go and I'll head back. 

I turn the corner and right there at the bottom of the corridor was a tall dark figure staring right at me. No emotion, dead eyes and a gaunt look on his face. When I say tall I'm talking 6'8'' maybe. He cleared the door frame anyway. There was something of a 10 to 15 second stand off which felt like an eternity. I remember sliding my hand into my pocket and crunching my keys up into a make shift weapon. I looked this guy right in the eyes and didn't flinch. 

He moved towards me with one step then as cliche as it sounds, hung right ( my left ) and went straight through the wall. I pulled myself together and went through the nearest door to where he disappeared. Room 20 I believe. 

Nothing, nobody. All that was there was a bone biting cold that I have never experienced before or since. It was a dry cold, unusually deep setting. Like it bypassed the flesh and went straight to the bone. I nearly jumped out my skin when the radio crackled and my boss asked me where I was. I said nothing, I just headed back to the complex. 

I didn't mention a word about the tall man in the old watchman like cloak/jacket. I simply said I couldn't find the source of the calls and offered the excuse of local phone works being the cause of the disruption. 

I finished up my work and headed home early morning. I told my father all about it, we then hit the gym and I went to bed. 

Oddly enough the next night ( my last shift ) everyone was looking at me. Turns out my boss stayed behind and told everyone about the events of the night before. All the old timers who had kept their distance until that point were now talking to me freely. Even the maids apologised for all the times I entered the castle and found it abandoned and a mess. The bar staff, who were sometimes sent up alone to get extra glasses etc would ask me when I was doing my fire check so they weren't alone. 

Someone told me that they felt sorry for my boss, because it has happened twice before. 

In the end, I stayed there for another 6 months before finding something more on my level without further incidents. A few years later my dad was sitting on the sofa and he pulled my attention to his paper. There had been a 4 page spread on the countries most haunted castles. My old work was one of them. 

Way down the page, it told of account where a business man was up in the castle one night on his own. He ran down to reception wearing nothing but an open business shirt and his boxers while holding his luggage. he reported to the front desk that he went walk about in the castle looking for an ice box seeing that his phone wasn't working to call reception. Then all of a sudden he spotted a tall dark cloaked figure staring at him from the door of one of the rooms. 

My dad and I said nothing, we simply nodded at each other and moved on with the rest of our day. 

Those events, have raised more questions than provided answers. I have confided in very few people over the years because I find their responses to flicker between childish and accusatory. All I know, is that I know what I saw and I have no answers. I just know I was there and what happened happened. How it fits into the grand scheme of things I'll probably never know. But my opinions on death and life had changed drastically because of it. 

I've never been back there, although I have tried to convince people to come join me. But I know of many people who have either stayed there or worked there and all admit to feeling freaked out on a regular basis. 

I'll happily answer questions given that there is no Micky taking. This event had a profound affect on me as a person. When our prophet speaks of personages not of the flesh, I don't have to look far in my own experience to grasp the concept. 

That's a good, spooky story. I had a companion, not known for "telling stories," tell me of an experience of being followed home by something evil following an appointment at a woman's home where they experienced things moving on their own. They used the priesthood to rid themselves of it. I had an investigator, getting ready for baptism, who had an encounter with a man in white in her bedroom that scared her to death. She called us at 10:00 at night and asked if we could come over and bless her home. So yes, I firmly believe that evil can interact with this world.