Survey about censorship on social media

Connie

3 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

And I apologize-I thought you were music was your job. Teaching/officiating TKD is my side hustle.  

I'm a web developer for my day job.

If I could just get some fans for my YouTube channel then maybe I could monetize things and do it for a living. But... yeah. I have no idea how to build an audience. 

5 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I'm a web developer for my day job.

If I could just get some fans for my YouTube channel then maybe I could monetize things and do it for a living. But... yeah. I have no idea how to build an audience. 

Become a police officer...we get lots of media attention.  ;)

1 minute ago, mirkwood said:

Become a police officer...we get lots of media attention.  ;)

Sometime ago, some coworkers and I got so far as to brainstorm about how we could operate a drug cartel from within the ranks of our government jobs.

Purely as an academic exercise, naturally.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

12 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Same. I think both are crucial to our freedom and security. 

Well, I think the first amendment is crucial to freedom and security.   The average 1A auditor video is basically an attempt from a rude jerk to monetize a youtube video by trying to make cops look bad.  I've seen some good ones - Jeff Gray and others, they are pretty rare. 

Since @The Folk Prophet  is both an expert and more current, his insights are closer to reality than mine.  I see the internet being compared to a lot of other things (like a public square) but the reality is the internet is not like anything we have previously encountered in our world’s history.   I believe that the internet needs to be redesigned with some semblance of responsible security with open spaces.  I would make some comparison of the internet to medieval times where castle fortresses exist throughout the open countryside.  The castle fortresses are protected with firewalls and if anything of value is to be protected – the only hope is to secure it behind the firewall in the castle fortress.  The problem is that any crack in your firewall allowing even the smallest of bug to pass through leaves everything in your fortress vulnerable.   Most of us want the freedom of the open countryside and the security of a fortress.

The internet shrinks the entire world and puts it just outside your front door.  Simply opening your front door allows not just whatever is out there that you opened the door for; but anything and everything lurking out there, inside.  And like I already said, you do not even need to open your door for various things and characters to find ways to sneak in.  Any protections are meaningless if you have a child in your fortress with access to any doors or windows.  The very sorry truth is that your children are vulnerable to predators regardless of what you do to protect them from the internet.  In fact, severing all internet connections in your life thinking that will protect your children can, in reality, leave them worse unprepared and vulnerable when they become older and discover their own access.

When I was growing up – children were not allowed into adult places.  Now children have access to anything and everything that adults have access to.  Children are not allowed their innocence.   Neither are any other innocence or vulnerable protected – predators make sure only the fittest survive.

As we discuss censorship on social media on this thread – we have difficulty trying to determine what is needed for responsible adults to be able to openly discuss our opinions.  Even with all the rules of this forum we have difficulties maintaining decorum.   I think myself responsible and I have been censored a number of times on this forum – though not so much of late.  I have learned to, in essence, censor myself and do so to maintain a friendly decorum because I honestly like and care for those that post here and I believe this forum helps and provides outlets.  I am not good at filters and like to challenge others – I am most grateful for posters here – especially posters like @prisonchaplain that are expert at filters and different opinions.  Not recently – but I have attempted to post on Evangelical sites and have not lasted even a week.

The Traveler

12 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Well, I think the first amendment is crucial to freedom and security.   The average 1A auditor video is basically an attempt from a rude jerk to monetize a youtube video by trying to make cops look bad.  I've seen some good ones - Jeff Gray and others, they are pretty rare. 

I totally agree with you that most auditors are jerks trying to make cops look bad. And that’s why they are crucial to our democracy. I view them like I view flag burning. Repulsive, condemnable, and totally lawful 

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

Not recently – but I have attempted to post on Evangelical sites and have not lasted even a week.  The Traveler

Since the sites are not named, and I don't frequent many social media sites (Christianpost.com, Realclearreligion.org, and Religiousnewsservice.com are may current go-tos), I won't defend bad behavior on the internet. However, when I arrived at my current place of ministry (a women's state prison), I was surprised to find that our main Sunday morning service was provided by volunteers from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Most of the attenders are not likely members of the church. Nevertheless, they gain benefit. The volunteers have found a way to minister with integrity while maintaining healthy attendance from a largely non-LDS group. They were pleased to discover that I had no intentions of changing the schedule (my services are on Monday and Thursday).

8 hours ago, Traveler said:

I think myself responsible and I have been censored a number of times on this forum

Interesting. I didn't consider this forum when I stated I'd never been "censored". I was only thinking Facebook, Youtube, etc. I have actually had a post or two edited or removed in the past here, now that I think of it.

Dang it @pam!!!

8 hours ago, Traveler said:

Since @The Folk Prophet  is both an expert and more current, his insights are closer to reality than mine.

You think that because I help program a client and inventory management system for someone that I'm worthy of an expert opinion status on internet censorship?

Thanks!! I'll take it!

Edited by The Folk Prophet

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Wow, you are a great singer!  (at least I think some of those videos are you singing). 

Others on these forums should check out your videos if they haven't already!

Edited by JohnsonJones

3 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Wow, you are a great singer!  (at least I think some of those videos are you singing). 

Thanks.

I'm an okay singer. I'm a decent producer, so I can make myself sound even better than I am. Everything is relative though.

What I would give to get some really, legitimately GREAT singers to sing for me though.

Maybe someday.