Christmastime Music/Spiritual Thoughts 2023

SilentOne

22 hours ago, Vort said:

I trust that, not many years hence, I will be able to express my thanks to Sister Gabbott and Mister Simon face to face. Until then, the good they wrought lives on at least in my own heart.

I totally lucked out.  Randomly browsing around the internet, I came across the rather unique first and last name of an old home teacher from my youth 35 years ago.  Working at BYU, with an email on file.  I emailed him and asked if he had been in the Whatever Stake in the early '80's, and he wrote me back and said yes, he believed he had.  I got to thank him for his service that I'm sure appeared absolutely thankless and unappreciated when he gave it, but remained in my mind through the decades and informed a lot of my formative years about what a Mormon was supposed to act and look like.   

Every month, he'd ingratiate himself past my antagonistic father, to get to my bedridden and utterly depressed mom, to give a message of hope and peace.  Sometimes a surly young teenager was forced to be there and endure the message.  He came, even though he was going through a divorce at the time.  He brought a positive presence and message into a house that had almost a total lack of positive energy to it.  He got my mom an autographed poster of the olympic swimmer Greg Louganis in his speedo which made her laugh so hard she sneezed.  And he always had something nice and positive to say to me, even though I only had blank stares and one word answers for him in return. 

Yeah, waiting until the other side of the veil will work, but it's nice I was able to tell him here on this earth.

And it came to pass that the words which came unto Nephi were fulfilled, according as they had been spoken; for behold, at the going down of the sun there was no darkness; and the people began to be astonished because there was no darkness when the night came. And there were many, who had not believed the words of the prophets, who fell to the earth and became as if they were dead, for they knew that the great plan of destruction which they had laid for those who believed in the words of the prophets had been frustrated; for the sign which had been given was already at hand. And they began to know that the Son of God must shortly appear; yea, in fine, all the people upon the face of the whole earth from the west to the east, both in the land north and in the land south, were so exceedingly astonished that they fell to the earth.
- 3 Nephi 1:15-17

As the prophesied birth of Jesus drew near, there were those among the ancient Nephite and Lamanite peoples who believed, though most doubted. In due course, the sign of His birth arrived—a day and a night and a day without darkness—and all knew. Even so today, some believe in the literal Resurrection of Christ, and many doubt or disbelieve. But some know. In due course, all will see and all will know; indeed, “every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess before him.”
- D. Todd Christofferson, The Resurrection of Jesus Christ

And it came to pass that there was no darkness in all that night, but it was as light as though it was mid-day. And it came to pass that the sun did rise in the morning again, according to its proper order; and they knew that it was the day that the Lord should be born, because of the sign which had been given. And it had come to pass, yea, all things, every whit, according to the words of the prophets. And it came to pass also that a new star did appear, according to the word.
- 3 Nephi 1:19-21

If it were not for the Light of Jesus Christ and His gospel, we would be doomed to the destruction of darkness. But the Savior said, “I am come a light into the world.” “He that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”

The Lord is our light and, literally, our salvation. . . . You need that light. We need that light.
- Robert D. Hales, Out of Darkness into His Marvelous Light

Edited by SilentOne

Not many people know this, but a lot of hard rock and heavy metal bands have actually taken to doing Christmas albums since the 1990s. 

I've heard quite a few of these, and to be honest I find that a lot of these songs are worth pursuing. 

For example, Manowar is a heavy metal band most known for doing songs about sword & sorcery fantasy scenarios, but their rendition of "Stille Nacht" has an incredible power and reverence to it that, given just who is singing it, comes off as a group of warriors laying aside their weapons for the season. 

Or we have Rob Halford, best known as the bombastic front man of Judas Priest, turning in incredibly soulful and reflective renditions of "Away In A Manger" and "Good King Wenceslas". 

Shinedown's "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" actually sounds like it's from the perspective of someone who was at war, even if only at war with himself. 

Et cetra. 

Trans-Siberian Orchestra? Yeah, they started out as a heavy metal band named Savatage. 

It shows that there's good to be found if people are willing to look. 

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
- Luke 2:8-11

In the scriptures, the word joy typically means much more than passing moments of contentment or even feelings of happiness. Joy in this context is a godly attribute, found in its fulness when we return to dwell in the presence of God. It is more profound, elevating, enduring, and life-changing than any pleasure or comfort this world can offer.

We were created to have joy. It is our intended destiny as children of a loving Heavenly Father. He wants to share His joy with us. The prophet Lehi taught that God’s plan for each of us is that we “might have joy.” Because we live in a fallen world, enduring joy or everlasting joy often seems beyond our reach. Yet in the very next verse, Lehi continues by explaining that “the Messiah [came to] … redeem [us] from the fall.” Redemption, by and through the Savior Jesus Christ, makes joy possible.
- Craig C. Christensen, “There Can Be Nothing So Exquisite and Sweet as Was My Joy”

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us. And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.
- Luke 2:13-17

As we approach Christmas, I wonder if we could become more like the angelic host by visiting modern shepherds to provide the good news of Christ, peace, and comfort. And I wonder if we can become more like the shepherds by responding to the call to visit and minister to the modern Josephs and Marys in our neighborhoods and communities to provide reassurance that God loves them and is watching and caring for them.
- Ulisses Soares, A Modern Angelic Host

1 hour ago, zil2 said:

Well, we can't let this part of the story go by without the one Christmas hymn in hymnal written by a Latter-day Saint:

Not my favorite rendition, but whatever. :)

Lest any cry out at the ignorance of attributing plains to the Judean landscape as a uniquely American display of ignorance, consider the popular English-language version of the popular French hymn/noël Les anges dans nos campagnes, called Angels We Have Heard on High, which tells of angels "sweetly singing o'er the plain". Here's a nice little arrangement of the French:

And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb. And when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord; (As it is written in the law of the Lord, Every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lord;) And to offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the law of the Lord, A pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons.
- Luke 2:21-24

The Child was born a Jew; the mother was a Jewess, and the reputed and legal father, Joseph, was a Jew. The true paternity of the Child was known to but few, perhaps at that time to none save Mary, Joseph, and possibly Elisabeth and Zacharias; as He grew He was regarded by the people as Joseph's son. The requirements of the law were carried out with exactitude in all matters pertaining to the Child.
- James E. Talmage, Jesus the Christ: Chapter 8, The Babe of Bethlehem

On 12/9/2023 at 11:40 AM, zil2 said:

Well, we can't let this part of the story go by without the one Christmas hymn in hymnal written by a Latter-day Saint:

Not my favorite rendition, but whatever. :)

I thought that was a tribute to the Judean People's Plains or was it the People's Plains of Judea. :) 

23 hours ago, Vort said:

Lest any cry out at the ignorance of attributing plains to the Judean landscape as a uniquely American display of ignorance...

Party-pooper!   Yes, that's right,  I called you a party pooper.

23 hours ago, zil2 said:

To those people, I say, "Go back to your humbug while the rest of us sing a beautiful hymn!"

The area known anciently as "Judea" vs the current metropolitan area of the City of Judea today are two different things.

Anciently, Judea was simply "the land of the Jews."  This would include the plains of modern-day Israel.  And since Jesus was born in ancient times...

So, there you go, Mr. Poopie-pants. 

On 12/7/2023 at 11:18 AM, Ironhold said:

Not many people know this, but a lot of hard rock and heavy metal bands have actually taken to doing Christmas albums since the 1990s.

23 hours ago, Vort said:

consider the popular English-language version of the popular French hymn/noël Les anges dans nos campagnes, called Angels We Have Heard on High

Here's one I just now came across. The first verse is in Italian, though not particularly well-pronounced. The second verse is German, and though I do not actually speak German, the rolled/trilled Rs are enough to convince me that the German is not particularly well-pronounced, either. The third verse is Portuguese, or at least that's what it says. I couldn't make out any actual Portuguese words, but that may have as much to do with my poor Portuguese skills as his questionable pronunciation. The fourth verse is English, and it sounded pretty authentic to me. The chorus/refrain is always the Latin Gloria in excelsis Deo.

(Warning: It's not actually a metal version of Angels We Have Heard on High. It's more like a pop version with a backing drum kit and a fairly pronounced bass line. An actual metal version would be fun, at least as a novelty. Maybe @The Folk Prophet can humor us.)

57 minutes ago, Vort said:

I wish I had heard of this earlier.  Just yesterday, we had a stake Christmas Concert.  It departed from tradition in that the chapel was treated as an auditorium rather than a chapel.  So, we were allowed to clap after each piece.  And we used instruments and music styles that we normally would not use in a chapel.

This would have been a rendition that I'd have suggested to the director.

Edited by Carborendum

And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him. And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord’s Christ. And he came by the Spirit into the temple: and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him after the custom of the law, Then took he him up in his arms, and blessed God, and said, Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word
- Luke 2:25-27

When we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, we also celebrate all the prophetic promises Jesus Christ fulfilled through His teachings and Atonement.
- D. Todd Christofferson, Your Promised Messiah

Then took he him up in his arms, and blessed God, and said, Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word: For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people; A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.
- Luke 2:28-32

My beloved brothers and sisters and friends, the Savior announced, “Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world.” “I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”

There is much written and many sermons given concerning Christ—his ministry, teachings, miracles, atoning sacrifice, resurrection, and ascension to eternal glory. He is truly our Lord and Savior, our Redeemer and God.
- Delbert L. Stapley, The Savior's Ministry

And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity; And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day. And she coming in that instant gave thanks likewise unto the Lord, and spake of him to all them that looked for redemption in Jerusalem.
- Luke 2:36-38

Anna faithfully stood in holy places. She had lived a long life of service to God, and as she searched for the face of the promised Messiah, she beheld the infant Jesus in the temple. Faith carried Anna through her hardships in life, just as it can carry us and inspire us to seek the Lord.
- Heather Farrell, Anna

1 hour ago, SilentOne said:

she was of a great age

So, what, 23? 24?  Those were great ages.  Wish I were that age again (but with my 50-something brain). :P

We do not sing Once in Royal David's City often enough.  (Nor Far, Far away on Judea's Plains.)

Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judæa in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, Saying, Where is the child that is born, the Messiah of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
- Matthew 2:1-2

It is my prayer that we may know and love our Savior daily. That we will do as Moroni suggested and “seek this Jesus.” May you and I find, by the end of every day, the one of whom Moses and other prophets wrote: Jesus of Nazareth. In seeking Christ, we will see God’s hand in our lives. And the more we seek Christ daily, the more we will find Him and be able to recognize His voice, leading and guiding us all throughout our lives.
- Orson S. Franco, Are You Seeking Christ Each Day?