What did I just eat?

What to call my dinner...  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Please see my initial post for explanation...

• Tacada
    • Tacostada
    • Tostaco
    • Tostadaco

Growing up, a tostada was a hard corn tortilla (flat and round) with refried pinto beans, cheese, lettuce, and whatever other veggies you wanted on top.  (Not my picture, but what I grew up thinking a tostada was:)

Bean-Tostada.jpg

A taco was, well, a taco (we all know what a taco is).  Tostadas did not have meat on them.  (Turns out lots of people put meat on tostadas, but I didn't know that1.)  So, tonight I decided to make a tostada, but with some taco meat (seasoned ground beef) on top of the beans.  So the question is, what do we call my brilliant combination?  (Ignore the fact that lots and lots of people just call this a tostada - it's something more - a taco + a tostada.  See the poll for options!)

1This is technically not the first time I've put meat on a tostada.  I also like to make steak using Daddy Hinkle's original marinade - but I chop the steak into bite-size pieces first - and then put that on my tostada.  Yums!  (Note: a good steak with Daddy Hinkle's original marinade slathered all over it is about as close to heaven as you're going to get while still on earth and eating cow. It's equally good cold, as a snack.)  For some reason, I had never considered naming this tostada variant, but of course, it's a Daddy Hinkle'stada...

Feel free to hijack my thread with your favorite combination foods, but it won't alter the fact that a good steak marinaded in Daddy Hinkle's is as close to heaven as you're going to get on earth. :D

The word "tostada" refers to the tortilla that has been fried or "toasted."  It is traditional to call the "dish" after the base (be it corn or wheat).

So, the item above is correctly called a tostada.  But I'll point out that it is Americanized.  Mexicans tend not to deep fry a yellow tortilla like that.  And it never looks like that image above.  But as Mexico moves more toward modernization and factory produced foods, they have been coming to accept this.  But they still interject that it is not a "traditional" tostada.

Compare: When we take bread and turn it into semi-burnt stale bread (aka: toast) we usually refer to the bread product itself.  But we can put whatever we want to on it. And as long as it includes the toast, we still call the finished product "toast."

Similarly, some parts of Latin America will call the dish (pictured above) a tortilla.  No reference to toasting.  Not a taco.  No other modifiers.  The "dish" is called a tortilla.

Tortilla is the diminutive form of "torta" (meaning "cake").  While we have many different types of cakes in English, we also call the dessert used for birthdays and weddings a "cake".  But it includes layering, various additives (think pineapple upside-down cake) toppings, icing, etc.  But it is all cake.

Edited by Carborendum

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

The word "tostada" refers to the tortilla that has been fried or "toasted."

:) I know (11 years of Spanish classes).

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

But I'll point out that it is Americanized.

Of course.  I have no illusions about that.  All the "Mexican" food I like is the Americanized version my mom made (except for what one can get at El Habanero - the only Mexican restaurant I've ever liked (probably because it's really Mexican and not Americanized)).  (Added "bonus" - it's in that part of the valley where there's probably a meth house within 10 minutes walk. :D )

In bizarre news, both Klaw and Smoke like pinto beans!  Smoke likes the cooked beans whole, Klaw likes them after I've mashed them up - before adding any salt or spices, of course. (And neither likes the sound of the pressure cooker.)

1 minute ago, zil2 said:

:) I know (11 years of Spanish classes).

It took you that long to learn a language?  It only took me less than that to learn English :P.

1 minute ago, zil2 said:

(Added "bonus" - it's in that part of the valley where there's probably a meth house within 10 minutes walk. :D )

May you not have so many such "bonuses" in your life.

1 minute ago, zil2 said:

In bizarre news, both Klaw and Smoke like pinto beans!  Smoke likes the cooked beans whole, Klaw likes them after I've mashed them up - before adding any salt or spices, of course. (And neither likes the sound of the pressure cooker.)

Wait, so you have more than one cat?  Uhmmm... Ehrrr...  We all love you here, Zil.

17 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

It took you that long to learn a language?  It only took me less than that to learn English :P.

:animatedlol:

May you not have so many such "bonuses" in your life.

:) Thank you.

18 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Wait, so you have more than one cat?  Uhmmm... Ehrrr...  We all love you here, Zil.

Klaw wouldn't let me sit still for more than 10 minutes without wanting to play, so I got him a buddy.  :D   Here they are play fighting in the kitchen sink:

Don't worry, 2 is my limit - can't afford more.

29 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

This is how we know American children are so much smarter than everyone else. I've known dozens of full-grown adults who can't speak English as well as your typical American six-year-old. Thank heaven for US public education!

36 minutes ago, zil2 said:

:animatedlol:

:) Thank you.

Klaw wouldn't let me sit still for more than 10 minutes without wanting to play, so I got him a buddy.  :D   Here they are play fighting in the kitchen sink:

Don't worry, 2 is my limit - can't afford more.

I'm glad they get along! When I was a kid we had a cat called Ko-Ko. When he was about 18 months old my parents thought he would like a playmate. So we got a second kitten we called Coffee. Ko-Ko was absolutely furious and for about a week he would do nothing but hiss and snarl and growl at Coffee whenever he saw him. Eventually they did become friends, but it took a while!

1 minute ago, Jamie123 said:

it took a while!

That's normal. Klaw was pretty mad at me for the first day or two.  Smoke spent his first three days and four nights here mostly locked in a room while Klaw got used to his scent and the idea of him. Thankfully, some friends came and spent time with Smoke so I could spend time reassuring Klaw. Day four I let Klaw and Smoke interact fully.  It was mostly friendly, but still some hissing and growling. Buddy-status was pretty solid by day five. Right now I'm trapped as they're both snuggled up with my left arm pinned... One-hand typing stinks. :)

Tostaco it is!  (Unless we get some bizarre influx of new users who come and vote.  I mean, 6 votes is kinda sad...)  I'm going to have another for dinner tonight. :)

On 5/15/2024 at 11:10 AM, zil2 said:

That's normal. Klaw was pretty mad at me for the first day or two.  Smoke spent his first three days and four nights here mostly locked in a room while Klaw got used to his scent and the idea of him. Thankfully, some friends came and spent time with Smoke so I could spend time reassuring Klaw. Day four I let Klaw and Smoke interact fully.  It was mostly friendly, but still some hissing and growling. Buddy-status was pretty solid by day five. Right now I'm trapped as they're both snuggled up with my left arm pinned... One-hand typing stinks. :)

The quickest way to build unity is to have a common enemy......... it's why grandkids get along so well with their grandparents.

On 5/15/2024 at 10:29 AM, Vort said:

This is how we know American children are so much smarter than everyone else. I've known dozens of full-grown adults who can't speak English as well as your typical American six-year-old. Thank heaven for US public education!

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 9:10 AM, zil2 said:

Right now I'm trapped as they're both snuggled up with my left arm pinned...

3 hours ago, mordorbund said:

The quickest way to build unity is to have a common enemy......... it's why grandkids get along so well with their grandparents.

SEI_197754376.jpg?width=900

:D Pretty sure they see me more as a source of heat more than their common enemy.

(Image source.)

Edited by zil2

10 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I hate to move it.

I would really like to know if someone has studied this phenomenon as it seems to be universally known even before folks have seen jokes like this one - once a cat has taken up residence on your person, you are not allowed to move until it leaves.  Why does everyone instinctively know this and follow it?  I mean, it's not like cats follow this rule amongst each other, let alone with humans - a cat wants to leave while you're enjoying petting it and it leaves.  A cat gets bored of playing with you and it leaves.  A cat decides it's had enough cuddles and it leaves.  Yet humans feel obliged to defer to the cat that's sleeping on them - why?  Is it simply the fact that they're small, warm, soft, and cute?  Is it that parasite they plant in our brains?  Is it the fact that their meows trigger the same response as crying babies?  Is it the fact that their purring is both relaxing and healing?  In short, what the heck is wrong with us? :animatedlol:

21 minutes ago, zil2 said:

I would really like to know if someone has studied this phenomenon as it seems to be universally known even before folks have seen jokes like this one - once a cat has taken up residence on your person, you are not allowed to move until it leaves.  Why does everyone instinctively know this and follow it?  I mean, it's not like cats follow this rule amongst each other, let alone with humans - a cat wants to leave while you're enjoying petting it and it leaves.  A cat gets bored of playing with you and it leaves.  A cat decides it's had enough cuddles and it leaves.  Yet humans feel obliged to defer to the cat that's sleeping on them - why?  Is it simply the fact that they're small, warm, soft, and cute?  Is it that parasite they plant in our brains?  Is it the fact that their meows trigger the same response as crying babies?  Is it the fact that their purring is both relaxing and healing?  In short, what the heck is wrong with us? :animatedlol:

Actually, it isn't the purring -- for me.

I'm taking a nap.  I wake up and find the cat sitting on my lap or chest.  That slight pressure of size and weight of a cat, with just a little bit of warmth that feels like the softest blanket. 

It just makes me feel so relaaaaxxxxxed.  I just want to go back to sleep.

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

:) Maybe not consciously, but from what I've read, the studies indicate it's simply the frequency of the vibrations (and technically, that vibration could come from any source and have the same impact) causes one to relax and facilitates healing (one source I read was very specific that it was healing of bones, other sources tend to be generic and more cautious, saying that the vibration may speed healing - likely not enough research has been done on that).  But then, cats certainly don't purr constantly while they're on you, and yes, that slight1 pressure and warmth is most relaxing. :)

1 See here for the exception.

I'm taking a nap.  I wake up and find the cat sitting on my lap or chest.  That slight pressure of size and weight of a cat, with just a little bit of warmth that feels like the softest blanket. 

It just makes me feel so relaaaaxxxxxed.  I just want to go back to sleep.

It’s that, and the razor claws when you move. They’ve broken you in.

1 minute ago, mordorbund said:

the razor claws

Smoke likes to jump up on my shoulder and ride around.  The other morning, while I was getting dressed, before putting on my sweatshirt (it's still cold here in the morning), Smoke decided he couldn't wait and unexpectedly jumped onto my back, claws out to ensure a secure landing... (One should not expect garments to protect one from razor claws!)  I haven't screamed like that since I was a teenager watching a horror movie at a friend's house, late at night, with the lights out...  It took me five minutes to find Smoke and coax him out of his hiding spot - after putting on my sweatshirt. :animatedlol:

On 5/14/2024 at 6:36 PM, zil2 said:

Growing up, a tostada was a hard corn tortilla (flat and round) with refried pinto beans, cheese, lettuce, and whatever other veggies you wanted on top.  (Not my picture, but what I grew up thinking a tostada was:)

Bean-Tostada.jpg

A taco was, well, a taco (we all know what a taco is).  Tostadas did not have meat on them.  (Turns out lots of people put meat on tostadas, but I didn't know that1.)  So, tonight I decided to make a tostada, but with some taco meat (seasoned ground beef) on top of the beans.  So the question is, what do we call my brilliant combination?  (Ignore the fact that lots and lots of people just call this a tostada - it's something more - a taco + a tostada.  See the poll for options!)

1This is technically not the first time I've put meat on a tostada.  I also like to make steak using Daddy Hinkle's original marinade - but I chop the steak into bite-size pieces first - and then put that on my tostada.  Yums!  (Note: a good steak with Daddy Hinkle's original marinade slathered all over it is about as close to heaven as you're going to get while still on earth and eating cow. It's equally good cold, as a snack.)  For some reason, I had never considered naming this tostada variant, but of course, it's a Daddy Hinkle'stada...

Feel free to hijack my thread with your favorite combination foods, but it won't alter the fact that a good steak marinaded in Daddy Hinkle's is as close to heaven as you're going to get on earth. :D

Once, while I was visiting a Mexican family, I was served a tostada for dinner with a fired egg (over easy) on top.  I loved it.  However, my wife has this thing with fried eggs (especially over easy) and will not allow it in our home, when she is home.  So, I only get this treat when I am home alone.

The Traveler