First Resurrection???

pam

My family was sitting around talking a few nights ago about Patriarchal blessings.

Mine says that I will come forth in the First Resurrection while my sister' says she will come forth in the Second Resurrection.

I think I know the answer already but would like some discussion on the differences and what each means.

I know the second resurrection will be at the end of the millenium.

I've never heard of a patriarchal blessing stating they would come in the second resurrection. That's interesting. The only thing i know about the second resurrection is what is in chapter 43 of the Gospel Principles manual which you can read here: LDS.org - Family Chapter Detail - The Second Coming of Jesus Christ

4. He will complete the Resurrection. Those who have obtained the privilege of coming forth in the Resurrection of the Just will rise from their graves. They will be caught up to meet the Savior as he comes down from heaven.

After Jesus Christ rose from the dead, other righteous people who had died were also resurrected. They appeared in Jerusalem and also on the American continent (see Matthew 27:52–53; 3 Nephi 23:9). This was the beginning of the First Resurrection. Some people have been resurrected since then. Those who already have been resurrected and those who will be resurrected at the time of his coming will all inherit the glory of the celestial kingdom (see D&C 76:50–70).

After the beginning of the Millennium, those who will receive a terrestrial glory will be resurrected (see D&C 88:99; 76:71–80). When all these people have been resurrected, the First Resurrection will be completed.

The wicked who are living at the time of the second coming of the Lord will be destroyed in the flesh. They, along with the wicked who are already dead, will have to wait until the end of the Millennium before they can come forth from their graves. At the end of the Millennium, the Second Resurrection will take place. All of the remaining dead will rise to meet God. They will either inherit the telestial kingdom or be cast into outer darkness with Satan (see D&C 76:32–33, 81–112).

Edited by Connie

Not all patriarchs use correct terminology in their blessings. It is very possible that the patriarch (I'm guessing this probably happened 30+ years ago) may not have understood 1st/2nd resurrection as we do today.

He may have understood it as at the beginning versus at the end of the Millennium.

I wouldn't sweat it, as all God's children have equal opportunity to obtain celestial glory. We are not, after all, Calvinists.

I know that mine says I MAY have the opportunity to be apart of the first ressurection. That tells me that I have alot of work to do. :) The opportunity has been givin to me but not guaranteed. I think we should remember that often our patriarchal blessings are road maps of how our life can go but as we all know that sometimes we get big headed and dont follow the map till we get lost and need to find our way back.

Edited by Jmidgley

Not all patriarchs use correct terminology in their blessings. It is very possible that the patriarch (I'm guessing this probably happened 30+ years ago) may not have understood 1st/2nd resurrection as we do today.

He may have understood it as at the beginning versus at the end of the Millennium.

I would go with this explanation. The first resurrection has already taken place. However you often hear in blessings that there are those that will be resurrected in the morning of the 1st resurrection. Implying the resurrection that will come when Christ comes again. You could also look at the 1st resurrection as the 1st that will come after the restoration of the Gospel. Either way the first resurrection has already happened

I would go with this explanation. The first resurrection has already taken place. However you often hear in blessings that there are those that will be resurrected in the morning of the 1st resurrection. Implying the resurrection that will come when Christ comes again. You could also look at the 1st resurrection as the 1st that will come after the restoration of the Gospel. Either way the first resurrection has already happened

The ancient reference to first did not mean temporal order (time based) but refers to the most noble. A reference to first resurrection refers to the Celestial resurrection. All that receive a Celestial resurrection are part of the first resurrection. The first resurrection will not complete until all that are Celestial have been resurrected.

Likewise the morning of the first resurrection refers to the “vanguard” or those that prepare the way according to the covenant which would be those involved in performing the ordnances in the temple for the dead. This is according to the prophesy in Isaiah 52:7

One last point - there must be some misunderstanding about a second resurrection. The work to be done for the resurrection will not begin until the first resurrection is complete. Since the preparation for the first resurrection is still going on as we speak there is no work currently being done to identify anyone for the second resurrection.

The Traveler

The first resurrection is not completed yet.

I haven't read all the responses. I have studied this and will offer what I remember.

The first resurrection is for the righteous. It will not happen all at one time. Some who were part of the first resurrection were resurrected shortly after Christ was resurrected. Some who are part of the first resurrection will be resurrected at the start of the millennium.

There will be no resurrection for those who live during the millennium. They will not taste of death. They will be changed to an immortal state in the "twinkling of an eye."

All who have not been resurrected before the start of the millennium will await their resurrection during the millennium in Spirit Prison, where there will be weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, in a hell-like state. After the millennium, Satan will be loosed on the earth again "for a short season." Then, all who have died, and have not been resurrected, will come forth from their state of physical death. The resurrection that takes place after the millennuim is called the 2nd resurrection, and is reserve for the "wicked," or for those who have not repented.

One hope is that there is a great missionary effort to those in prison. They can accept the gospel there and be resurrected to a kingdom of glory. Those who do not will be resurrected to everlasting darkness.

What I'm not sure about, and might be of some importance to you, is whether or not when someone in Prison accepts the gospel during the millennium, if they are immediately resurrected, and if they are, if that is considered part of the first resurrection. My feelings tell me the answer is yes to both. That being the case, those who have part in the second resurrection are those who will pay for their own sins. But, if I am wrong in this, then it might mean those who are converted in Prison during the millennium will be resurrected either right away, or after the millenuim, but be considered the second resurrection. I don't know.

Niether am I sure about if the second resurrection and last resurrection are synonymous terms. Unfortunately, I think they are.

Read the Bible Dictionary under resurrection, and read the cross references given for resurrection in the Topical Guide.

I'll paste it in for your convenience:

GS Resurrection

The reuniting of the spirit body with the physical body of flesh and bones after death. After resurrection, the spirit and body will never again be separated, and the person will become immortal. Every person born on earth will be resurrected because Jesus Christ overcame death (1 Cor. 15: 20-22).

Jesus Christ was the first person to be resurrected on this earth (Acts 26: 23; Col. 1: 18; Rev. 1: 5). The New Testament gives ample evidence that Jesus rose with his physical body: his tomb was empty, he ate fish and honey, he had a body of flesh and bones, people touched him, and the angels said he had risen (Mark 16: 1-6; Luke 24: 1-12, 36-43; John 20: 1-18). Latter-day revelation confirms the reality of the resurrection of Christ and of all mankind (Alma 11: 40-45; 40; 3 Ne. 11: 1-17; D&C 76; Moses 7: 62).

All people will not be resurrected to the same glory (1 Cor. 15: 39-42; D&C 76: 89-98), nor will all be resurrected at the same time (1 Cor. 15: 22-23; Alma 40: 8; D&C 76: 64-65, 85). Many Saints were resurrected after Christ’s resurrection (Matt. 27: 52). The righteous will be resurrected before the wicked and will come forth in the first resurrection (1 Thes. 4: 16); the unrepentant sinners will come forth in the last resurrection (Rev. 20: 5-13; D&C 76: 85).

Though this body be destroyed, yet in my flesh shall I see God, Job 19: 26 (Moses 5: 10). I will open your graves, and cause you to come up, Ezek. 37: 12. Graves were opened, and many bodies arose, Matt. 27: 52-53 (3 Ne. 23: 9). The Lord is risen, Luke 24: 34. A spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have, Luke 24: 39. I am the resurrection and the life, John 11: 25. The Twelve Apostles taught that Jesus had risen, Acts 1: 21-22 (Acts 2: 32; 3: 15; 4: 33). In Christ shall all be made alive, 1 Cor. 15: 1-22. The dead in Christ shall rise first, 1 Thes. 4: 16. Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection, Rev. 20: 6. Christ layeth down his life and taketh it again that he may bring to pass the resurrection of the dead, 2 Ne. 2: 8 (Mosiah 13: 35; 15: 20; Alma 33: 22; 40: 3; Hel. 14: 15). Without resurrection, we would become subject to Satan, 2 Ne. 9: 6-9. Resurrection will pass upon all men, 2 Ne. 9: 22. Abinadi taught about the first resurrection, Mosiah 15: 21-26. The wicked remain as though there had been no redemption, except for the loosing of the bands of death, Alma 11: 41-45. Alma explained the state of souls between death and resurrection, Alma 40: 6, 11-24. At the Lord’s coming, the dead which died in Christ will come forth, D&C 29: 13 (D&C 45: 45-46; 88: 97-98; 133: 56). Weep especially for those who have not hope of a glorious resurrection, D&C 42: 45. They that knew no law shall have part in this first resurrection, D&C 45: 54. They shall rise from the dead and shall not die after, D&C 63: 49. The resurrection from the dead is the redemption of the soul, D&C 88: 14-16. Spirit and element, inseparably connected, receive a fulness of joy, D&C 93: 33. Angels who are resurrected beings have bodies of flesh and bones, D&C 129: 1. Whatsoever intelligence we attain in this life will rise with us in the resurrection, D&C 130: 18-19.

Edited by Justice
Spelling errors

You may also want to consider the possibility of a difference between First Resurrection and first resurrection. We read in Alma

And behold, again it hath been spoken, that there is a first resurrection, a resurrection of all those who have been, or who are, or who shall be, down to the resurrection of Christ from the dead.

Now, we do not suppose that this first resurrection, which is spoken of in this manner, can be the resurrection of the souls and their consignation to happiness or misery. Ye cannot suppose that this is what it meaneth.

Behold, I say unto you, Nay; but it meaneth the reuniting of the soul with the body, of those from the days of Adam down to the resurrection of Christ. (Alma 40:16 - 18).

So everyone that died before the resurrection of Christ, if I understand this passage correctly, would need to be reunited with their body prior to the reuniting of body and spirit for anyone who died after Christ's resurrection. Alma calls this "a first resurrection," but it is much different from the First Resurrection, which appears to be more a matter of judgment and assignment to a kingdom of glory.

Also, here's an interesting piece of trivia...If our understanding of this passage is correct, then everyone who passed away before Christ's resurrection has been resurrected. Recall that Moroni appeared to Joseph Smith as a resurrected being (In History of the Church. Approximate date of Moroni's death: 435 AD.

Just something to think about.

All the righteous, yes.

Part of the resurrection is "a restoration." Read all of Alma 41 and 42 also. God will not restore "wickedness" to a person until they have been given every chance to repent. So, for those who have repented, and had their sins washed clean, and received a remission of them, they can be resurrected, or restored, to their righteous state. Those who have not repented, and have no desire to do so, will wait till the last posible minute, at the end, after the millennium, but before judgement, to be "restored" to wickedness... in the chance they might repent.

All must stand before God in their restored state and be judged according to their works, because they will be restored to their works, and thoughts and desires also.

This is exactly what Alma was trying to teach his son, Corianton. At death, there is a partial judgement. This was being confused with the actual resurrection and restoration to righteousness or wickedness. Alma was saying that at death, the restoration is not yet. There is still a chance for those who have sinned to repent and accept Christ. But, those who accept Christ and repent while on earth can be resurrected, not just placed in a spiritual state to await future resurrection. God had need of some of the old prophets on earth. We can read the Doctrine & Covenants and see many of them who were resurrected... because they had repented and desired righteousness. Therefore they could be restored to that righteous state.

D&C 76 is rather clear on this issue. The First Resurrection is ongoing. Those resurrected in the morning of the First Resurrection will be Celestial. Those in the afternoon of the first resurrection will be Terrestrial. Telestial and Perdition will be resurrected in the 2nd resurrection.

As mentioned, this is not necessarily a human timeframe based system, but referential to the level of resurrection one will achieve.

And as we can see on this list, it can be confusing to understand, which is why I'm not surprised that an occasional patriarch may misuse the terminology. While patriarchs are very spiritual, they are not necessarily gospel scholars.

Goofball - if you are referring to the resurrection of the few, (and the ongoing resurrection) as "a" first resurrection it could be seen that way, but by definition, this is not the morning nor any part of the first resurrection. If anything, it is a resurreciton to testify of the veracity of Christ's power over death, and I'm not talking about those who have been brought back to life (after eally dying) either, such as Lazerus.

Now, as far as the Second Resurrection, that is truly rather curious, but if I were her I would not aqcuiesce to the Second, I'd act using my own coined phrase "just-as-if-i-cation" and act "just as if" she (as we all should) were going to come forth in the First Resurrection.

As we know sometime scripture (read PB) is not everyting we think it is. Perhaps she has a special mission to perform here upon the earth and is going to be held back. The brethern have told us that virtually all, and I use this term loosely (active) member will come forth in the first resurrection.

Let me give you an example, my tribe has been declared in my PB but I am not of the 12 tribes. You see sometimes we don't always get what we expect. BTW - mine is a very special mission, so not to worry (like my wife) hee hee.

The Lord will call when he needs her. Tell her not to give up. This may be her test.

Abraham

We need to reember the first resurrection is not completed, It began with Christ and is on hold, there have been many others between Christ's Resurrection and now and there will continue to be more untill he comes again.

The doctrine of the 4 Resurrections are found in D&C

There are Two First ressurrection's. So I can see how somebody might confuse the second (first) ressurection, and calling it a second ressurection. (or the second time that ressurectioin will happen)

To those who lived before the resurrection of Christ, the day of his coming forth from the dead was known as the first resurrection. Abinadi and Alma, for instance, so considered it. (Mosiah 15:21-25; Alma 40.) To those who have lived since that day, the first resurrection is yet future and will take place at the time of the Second Coming. (D. & C. 88:96-102.) We have no knowledge that the resurrection is going on now or that any persons have been resurrected since the day in which Christ came forth excepting Peter, James, and Moroni, all of whom had special labors to perform in this day which necessitated tangible resurrected bodies.

(Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 2d ed. [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1966], 639.)

This was the first resurrection on this earth, but since it is past, we now speak of the resurrection which will take place at the coming of Christ as the first resurrection. It will be the first unto us.

(Joseph Fielding Smith, The Way to Perfection [salt Lake City: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1949], 298.)

• 1 year later...

i'm a little bit confused. where are the resurrected people right now? have they been judged already? i thought the celestial kingdom isn't there right now, i thought earth would be the celestial kingdom. and when jesus resurrected, who also have been resurrected? just the righteous people?

(sorry for my english, it really is not perfect..:))

Hey Pam,

I've been reading the posts and have noticed that you haven't posted again since the opening thread.

How do you feel about what's been said already? It seems a little spooky that your sister was told she would come forth in the second resurrection.....As has been said, maybe it was a misunderstading that lead to that statement. However, your sister may want to go in to that patriarch (if he still lives) or to one of her leaders to have it further explained....

Well if I go by that about second resurrection...I had better have my sister reread her patriarchal blessing.

Let us not assume anything yet. The last of all resurrection is not for the damn or perdition but those who had their election made sure but did not fully repent. They will come forth as the last to be resurrected. Now, there is nothing that prohibits her from changing the course of her life [PB] if she so chooses. The PB is not set in concrete that there is no allowance for changes.

Neither does the PB by stating "you will be resurrected on the morning of the first resurrection..." will guarantee any person the highest state in the Celestial Kingdom. It only means, you will inherit the celestial kingdom. There are three states within the person can inherit. All of which, whether it is first or last, remains unclear until the person is told personally or will have to wait for judgment day.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm a little bit confused. where are the resurrected people right now? have they been judged already? i thought the celestial kingdom isn't there right now, i thought earth would be the celestial kingdom. and when jesus resurrected, who also have been resurrected? just the righteous people?

(sorry for my english, it really is not perfect..:))

I asked my stake president and he said that the resurrected people are living in the presence of god, in his celestial kingdom right now. :)

Let us not assume anything yet. The last of all resurrection is not for the damn or perdition but those who had their election made sure but did not fully repent. They will come forth as the last to be resurrected. Now, there is nothing that prohibits her from changing the course of her life [PB] if she so chooses. The PB is not set in concrete that there is no allowance for changes.

Neither does the PB by stating "you will be resurrected on the morning of the first resurrection..." will guarantee any person the highest state in the Celestial Kingdom. It only means, you will inherit the celestial kingdom. There are three states within the person can inherit. All of which, whether it is first or last, remains unclear until the person is told personally or will have to wait for judgment day.

That's being pretty presumptious. She is one of the most stalworth people in the gospel I know. Again I may have just misunderstood her. I just haven't asked her for clarification.