When you Denigrate Other Religious Traditions

Moksha

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well sure...in many ways, those conference protesters have made it much more difficult for some LDS to trust us evangelicals. Likewise, Bush's famous "axis of evil" speech cost us years of diplomatic effort. Jesus saved his harshest words for the leaders of his own faith, and showed tremendous hospitality to others.

Well sure...in many ways, those conference protesters have made it much more difficult for some LDS to trust us evangelicals. Likewise, Bush's famous "axis of evil" speech cost us years of diplomatic effort. Jesus saved his harshest words for the leaders of his own faith, and showed tremendous hospitality to others.

There is also the connection between evangelicals and the more vociferous anti-Mormon types like Ed Decker (whose intentional lies apparently got some missionaries in Central America dead because he stirred up hate for them by claiming they were CIA). When you're constantly being lied about and attacked by people identifying with a particular group, that entire group comes under suspicion. The reaction a lot of Americans have to Moslems these days? Similar to how LDS tend to feel about evangelicals, who've basically declared themselves our adversaries. I'll assume you're familiar with all the attacks on the Church in the early years, including mob violence, rape, and murder against Church members for simply believing the Gospel.

God-seekers are to be respected, irregardless of their success at embracing the true doctrines I hold to. Jesus' entertained a Samaritan woman who lived immorally, and got the location of true worship wrong. Instead of condemning her heresy and her shacking up, her offered her a cup of cold water. How dare we humiliate anyone who hungers after our heavenly Father?

God-seekers are to be respected, irregardless of their success at embracing the true doctrines I hold to. Jesus' entertained a Samaritan woman who lived immorally, and got the location of true worship wrong. Instead of condemning her heresy and her shacking up, her offered her a cup of cold water. How dare we humiliate anyone who hungers after our heavenly Father?

I wish more evangelicals could be that civilized. My own religious explorations took me into that end of Christianity, and I saw a lot of pride and deliberate exclusion of other branches of Christianity from the label "Christian", so those doing the excluding could trumpet their holding of that label as evidence of their superiority over everyone who didn't hold that label (in evangelical eyes).

I read this quote a few days ago by Ray Agostini, that I thought was tremendously wise:

• "When you denigrate other religious traditions, you denigrate your own religion."
What are your thoughts about this statement?

:)

I am glad the prophets did not share those thoughts under the guidance of the Spirit. ^_^ Or perhaps, Samuel the Lamanite as he spoke out against church members and other beliefs upon the wall unto the Nephites. :lol:

I remember when I was in school, a teacher told us that every time you point a finger at someone, three more are pointing back at yourself (your curled fist).

I only speaks to how poorly you are able to love and accept people, which makes people hate you, instead of being drawn to you. But this doesn't apply only to religion. Is it any wonder that the sexually 'deviant' hate religion, esp. Christianity?

• "When you denigrate other religious traditions, you denigrate your own religion."
Well, if my religion happens to be "the church of the snarky zinger", then this guy could not be more wrong.

But for for most any other religious tradidtion, he's probably right on the money.

Religions should focus on what they have to offer mankind, and not on denigrating others. It is one thing to disagree with others' beliefs. It is another thing to say they will burn in hell for their beliefs.

I enjoy a good discussion with those of other faiths, where we agree on some things, and agreeably disagree on others. We share our perspectives and the whys of our individual faith, and all are benefited by the dialogue.

How can we save anyone by just telling them they must avoid the {fill in the blank} group?

I would like to see what would happen if someone striped the Pope of his robes threw them on the ground and started stomping on them. Our holy garments to us are just worn under our clothes not on top. It would be soooooo hard for me to see one of those guys waving holy G’s around and not deck him!!! Sorry I have just had to confess. I would of probably deck him too. Would of been the best night in jail I could ever spend. :rant:

But to just rant about others beliefs, no way. Once we had a speaker who railed on the baptists and it just so happen we had a family in sacrament meeting that were baptist. Needless to say they never came back.

-Marty

Edited by martybess

I totally agree with the saying. When I was in my mission, it would burn me up to hear other missionaries ridicule or talk disrispecfully of other religions. I think its so important for us, who need to be "the Salt of all the earth" or the "Light of the World" to behave in very different way, opposite to that!

In one of my areas, I had someone tell me that in the local X church, they were burning up copies of the Book of Mormon in their meetings, and I was really schocked and felt insulted. But I think that when we denegrate other religions we are not doing any better that they were....

I read this quote a few days ago by Ray Agostini, that I thought was tremendously wise:

Completely true. We're all representing the LDS church and in this world.. image is everything.

It is the means by which you denigrate other traditions. There are traditions (even in the history of Christianity) that should be denigrated. But if we cannot offer a tradition of better example – we and the world would be the better off if we just went away and said nothing.

But to not offer a better example when one is needed and you are a better example is a contradiction in who you think you are and have become.

The Traveler

Most spiritually-motivated traditions, irregardless of how wrong we see them to be, can be bridges to truth and God-pleasing faith. How powerful would the Christian church be if the average Christian prayed five times a day, for a total of 75+ minutes? How strong would we be if we fasted for 30 half-days a year? How mighty might we be if we learned to quiet ourselves, and spend time in God-focused meditation? How godly might our example be if we chose what we eat and drink in light of our belief that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Ghost? Even the original meaning of jihad, one's personal warfare against evil and sin, and towards godly righteousness, is one we Christians might embrace with greater passion. Being a chaplain gives me a very fresh perspective on this matter, and what's been said in this thread is true more than you know. Respect for other religious traditions is evangelism.

Most spiritually-motivated traditions, irregardless of how wrong we see them to be, can be bridges to truth and God-pleasing faith. How powerful would the Christian church be if the average Christian prayed five times a day, for a total of 75+ minutes? How strong would we be if we fasted for 30 half-days a year? How mighty might we be if we learned to quiet ourselves, and spend time in God-focused meditation? How godly might our example be if we chose what we eat and drink in light of our belief that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Ghost? Even the original meaning of jihad, one's personal warfare against evil and sin, and towards godly righteousness, is one we Christians might embrace with greater passion. Being a chaplain gives me a very fresh perspective on this matter, and what's been said in this thread is true more than you know. Respect for other religious traditions is evangelism.

Personally I do not think all these things would come close to the impact that a society (though corrupt in doctrine they were) of good Samaritans as spoken of by Jesus in his parable. The fasting Levite and the praying 5 times a day priest just does not cut it – even in the eyes of G-d – when compassion for those in need is difficult to see. The example is what the world needs – not another sermon or another expert in scriptures. Or dare I say it - another person pronouncing themselves saved.

Wow - I just noticed the last 3 numbers for my total posts - perhaps I should not have ever posted this. :hmmm:

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

The fasting Levite and the praying 5 times a day priest just does not cut it – even in the eyes of G-d – when compassion for those in need is difficult to see. The example is what the world needs – not another sermon or another expert in scriptures.

I agree, but in a one given person, I think the person is more likely to be compassionate if they are "truly" in tune with God than if not. I say "truly", because I think one of the points of the parable is that the priest and the levite "just didn't get it".

... And don't worry about it, the post you "shouldn't have made" was 3000 ago ;)

Chaplain, could you go into more detail about this?

Respect for other traditions is evangelism--meaning that our self-confidence, our love, our calm, assured, peaceful demeanor will do far more to win hearts and minds than aggressively belittling other religions. Paul drew connections between the Pagans and Christ. Jesus prayed that his Father would forgive those killing him. Further, he reserved his venom for leaders of his own faith. If we simply lift up Jesus, in word, deed, AND DEMEANOR, people will be drawn to our Savior.