Women more righteous than men

annamaureen

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Isaiah 4:1 does state:

And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.

In that day shall the branch of the LORD be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the earth shall be excellent and comely for them that are escaped of Israel.

And it shall come to pass, that he that is left in Zion, and he that remaineth in Jerusalem, shall be called holy, even every one that is written among the living in Jerusalem:

When the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and shall have purged the blood of Jerusalem from the midst thereof by the spirit of judgment, and by the spirit of burning.

That seems to suggest that, in the end times at least, there will be a lack of worthy men. Is that what you were looking for?

Most of us have heard at some time or another that women are more righteous than men, more women will make it to the Celestial Kingdom, etc. Is this just one of those "cultural" church beliefs, or is there anything to back this up in scripture, doctrine, or from general authorities?

What I would say, from my own observations, is that women tend to be more spiritual than men - every session I ever went on, one glance at either side of the room usually confirmed this for me. However, spiritual is not the same thing as righteous, though they are related.

Guest mysticmorini

I've never heard it before.

I've heard it more times than i care to remember, but mostly from women who also feel oppressed for not having the Priesthood. they rationalize it something like this "women are more righteous and therefore don't need the priesthood" i usually tend to ignore so as not to hurt their egos.

What I would say, from my own observations, is that women tend to be more spiritual than men - every session I ever went on, one glance at either side of the room usually confirmed this for me. However, spiritual is not the same thing as righteous, though they are related.

That's what I was going to clarify: in my experience the assumption has been not that women tend to be more righteous, but rather more spiritual. I think there is something to it, but it's by no means universal.

I've heard it more times than i care to remember, but mostly from women who also feel oppressed for not having the Priesthood. they rationalize it something like this "women are more righteous and therefore don't need the priesthood" i usually tend to ignore so as not to hurt their egos.

I think you are reading way too much into that, and you might even want to check your own ego. In all my life in the Church, I can think of one woman I have known who was bitter about not being able to have the Priesthood, yet many women (and probably even more men than women) who think that women are more righteous and/or spiritual than men are.

I have heard it as well, that there will end up being more women in the Celestial Kingdom. However, I have never heard anyone back it up with any evidence from where they got it from. From what I have seen with the history of the world though I would not be surprised if it ended up being true.

Infant mortality rates are higher for males then females.

The rise and fall of excess male infant mortality

I'm no mathematician (where is MOE when you need him) but the number of people who died before 8 will far outnumber the number of members of the church (total). Since the men die at a higher rate i would say not only will men will outnumber women but Non Mormons will outnumber Mormons.

Plus

women’s relationships are based more on social structures, and women might appear more active at church. There are also more social activities for women than there are for men. Activity doesn’t necessarily equal righteousness.

That seems to suggest that, in the end times at least, there will be a lack of worthy men. Is that what you were looking for?

I thought it was saying there will be a general lack of men: as in, all the men will die in all the wars that are supposed to happen.

Most of us have heard at some time or another that women are more righteous than men, more women will make it to the Celestial Kingdom, etc. Is this just one of those "cultural" church beliefs, or is there anything to back this up in scripture, doctrine, or from general authorities?

I've heard it many times, and quite frankly, I think it's a big pile of rubbish. I cringe every time I hear it.

I thought it was saying there will be a general lack of men: as in, all the men will die in all the wars that are supposed to happen.

Indeed, Isaiah 4 needs to be read as an extension of chapter 3, which discusses war in the last days. What's more, you have to consider the cultural context. In Isaiah's time, a woman's standing in society was in part tied to her ability to have children. Thus, the seven women would cling to one man, ask to be called by his name, but would not rely on him for support, which, coincidentally, would be contrary to the Lord's standard for husbands and fathers.

I believe the answer is best found in the scripture that indicates the L-rd did not intend for men and women to be alone but to be united by covenant. To view men and women outside of the New and Everlasting covenant is to not realize our destiny and potential. It is also my understanding that in a marriage one is not to presume one is greater than the other. It is the oneness that makes the whole greater than the sum of all the parts. It appears to me that it is better to be righteous together as one in marriage that to be more righteous and unable to become “one”.

The Traveler

Down at the very basic level it's going to be "Cultural" whether mythic or not...

However I do think there is some credence to this in couple things;

Man was chosen to be the leader, so things that go wrong, end up on his head.

In societies its usually the men that sin the worst, and cause the sorrow and grief among the women and children. It's also men that have some of the most immediate influence upon the women.

Now maybe in the next 100 years that situation will completely reverse for a majority population, then that concept would change.

Guest mysticmorini

I think you are reading way too much into that, and you might even want to check your own ego. In all my life in the Church, I can think of one woman I have known who was bitter about not being able to have the Priesthood, yet many women (and probably even more men than women) who think that women are more righteous and/or spiritual than men are.

I'm simply stating my observations, I don't think one can justify saying one sex is more or less righteous than the other. I believe man and women have distinct but equally important roles.

Hi, Annamaureen.

I feel like I'm being told this in church all the time, and it irritates me immensely. Given the discrimination issues in the USA today, I am also terrified to speak up about it, because white men aren't allowed to complain about poor treatment.

I have been in conversations with women in the Church who could interpret anything I said as stemming from a deep feeling that I am superior to women. So, I don't talk a lot when these topics come up: but I have walked out of numerous Sunday School classes and Elder's Quorum meetings because it irritates me so much.

So, basically, I'm an emotional wreck.

Righteousness pertains to following commandments and living up to ones responsibilities. Our gender based responsibilities differ, so how can you compare them?

As a woman, if I don't hold the priesthood am I less righteous? no. Anymore than a man who doesn't bear children would be less righteous.

We can't compare levels of righteousness when our pre-mortal assigned responsibilities are different.

I have heard this many times but I do not know if it is true or not. In my ward we have lots of sisters who are either single, married to a non member, or their husbands are inactive. I can't think of one Brother who comes alone even though he is married.

As far as the women not having the Priesthood and being bitter commit always makes me laugh. I hold the Priesthood every night...my hubby!

I have heard this many times but I do not know if it is true or not. In my ward we have lots of sisters who are either single, married to a non member, or their husbands are inactive. I can't think of one Brother who comes alone even though he is married.

As far as the women not having the Priesthood and being bitter commit always makes me laugh. I hold the Priesthood every night...my hubby!

Tell me he didn't use that corny pick up line:)