Provo Tabernacle on fire

pam

I saw this on the news. It seems a real tragedy. How does a tabernacle differ from a temple or church/chapel?

The tabernacles are mainly used for really large gatherings for important occasions. That's probably the biggest difference. IMO they seem to be used publicly more to service the community as well.

This is indeed a sad loss. I remember in my youth when this and other church facilities were left unlocked. This is a place of sacred memories for me. As a youth with some friends I broke into the attic to explorer. In many ways I feel this place to be part of me and I of it. It is kind of like losing a loved one.

The Traveler

Noting that there have been a rise in church buildings catching fire lately, I wouldn't be surprised if it was arson. Also, noting the rich past this building has provided, I wouldn't be surprised that the person(s) convicted are going to be the least popular people in the state... assuming it is arson, which I hope isn't.

Noting that there have been a rise in church buildings catching fire lately, I wouldn't be surprised if it was arson. Also, noting the rich past this building has provided, I wouldn't be surprised that the person(s) convicted are going to be the least popular people in the state... assuming it is arson, which I hope isn't.

I'm going to go with the second least popular people, behind the Elizabeth Smart dude. ;)

Some personal losses due to the fire. Lex De Acevedo was set with a choral group to perform Gloria tonight there. Some of the instruments lost in the fire had belonged to people for years. Can't replace the sentimentality of those.

For anyone interested: They will be performing Gloria free of charge but are requesting donations to help pay for personal losses. Friday and Saturday will be at the Alpine Tabernacle in American Fork at 7:30. Sunday night will be at the UVU McKay Events Center.

Based on the witness descriptions from the night before, I would be. There was a lot of electrical equipment running and a funny smell. It seemed pretty clear that the point of origin was on the second floor...a strange place for a late night arsonist to begin his work. Plus, there were strange smells during the activities earlier in the evening.

Also, no one has even mentioned the possibility of arson at this point, other than the media. Different types of fires behave in different ways, and firefighters likely would have developed a suspicion by now. I'd actually be more surprised if it turned out to be arson.

It's sad, as from the pictures I saw from that site, it was a beautiful building. I wouldn't be so quick to call it arson, as someone in the building before the fire reported smelling something like a "hot glue gun that was on." Also, there was a film crew from BYU in the building and they had lights and other electrical equipment with them. Not all fires that happen in LDS buildings are arson, and my guess is that it's only a minority. A few years ago, a local Episcopal church had its hall burn down, and the cause of that fire was a grease fire. The sanctuary(chapel) was saved.

We drove by there this morning around 9:30. Towers were all standing and appeared more or less undamaged (including windows), but my wife said she saw flames inside still. I gather the fire department wasn't sending anyone inside, for fear of the walls coming down on top of them. Haven't checked for an update lately, but hopefully the thing is contained before those towers are lost too.

This is indeed a sad loss. I remember in my youth when this and other church facilities were left unlocked. This is a place of sacred memories for me. As a youth with some friends I broke into the attic to explorer. In many ways I feel this place to be part of me and I of it. It is kind of like losing a loved one.

The less well-known, but still historical chapel in Cambridge, MA burned down a year or so ago, and I was devastated. Some of my happiest memories ever were inside that building, and I always looked forward to visiting it again some day. The thought that it's gone saddens me greatly, and yes, it feels like I lost a loved one.

Given its location, I imagine many people feel the same about the Provo Tabernacle. I hoped they saved at least part of it.

Elphaba

I walked around the block yesterday after work. It surprises me how much this empty building affected me. I didn't grow up in Utah Valley or anything like that. Maybe it is part that I feel a connection to old church buildings because they are a part of church history. Another part something I share with other church members. Another part is just a love for old buildings (and hating to see them lost).

Here's a link to the Daily Herald's story. They have a bunch of pictures. Major fire destroys the Provo Tabernacle

The less well-known, but still historical chapel in Cambridge, MA burned down a year or so ago, and I was devastated. Some of my happiest memories ever were inside that building, and I always looked forward to visiting it again some day. The thought that it's gone saddens me greatly, and yes, it feels like I lost a loved one.

Given its location, I imagine many people feel the same about the Provo Tabernacle. I hoped they saved at least part of it.

Elphaba

The Cambridge chapel was my mission office many years ago. I was equally devastated.