Are we really not supposed to travel?

Hala401

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no official rule against it. Some consider not traveling as part of "keeping the Sabbath day holy". Since we are to refrain from anything that would not add to our worship and focus on the Savior, as well as anything that would require us or others to work, travel is considered by many to be one of those unnecessary things to refrain from.

If we aren't suppose to travel on Sunday then a lot of the Lords work would be left undone.

As with all things we are suppose to be wise.

Sunday is suppose to be a day dedicated to doing the Lords work... This sometime for some people this requires alot of travel.

Do to this dedication of the Sabbath day we are suppose to do everything we can to do our "other things" on other days. But there are limits.

The real question that can only be answered by ourselves is "Are we doing enough to keep the Sabbath Day holy?"

You can always stick some scriptures in the cd or cassette player and study scriptures as you travel or play some good music on the radio.

I do try to minimize purchases when possible. Food and gas are generally necessary but shopping mall trips arent. lol.

You are going to SL to the temple grounds and to visit friends. Sounds good to me. It will be a spiritually rewarding experience for you. Are you going to be there for conference? Now that is a whole bunch of people traveling on Sunday!

It's like that time when Jesus healed the sick on the Sabbath that went against the law of that time...

It's not the letter of the law but the spirit of the law kind of thing.

It's all about keeping the Sabbath day holy. Some of us have incorporated various ways of doing this that began in Jewish custom - no unnecessary traveling is one of them. Other folk try to do all the cooking on Saturday, so no work needs to be done in the kitchen besides heating already-prepared food. I once heard that the community of people who produced and stored the Dead Sea Scrolls, believed that one should not defacate on the Sabbath (that one didn't seem to make it into LDS practice - but then I haven't met every mormon).

The Gospel Principles book has this to say about the Sabbath:

Jesus taught that the Sabbath day was made for our benefit (see Mark 2:27). The purpose of the Sabbath is to give us a certain day of the week on which to direct our thoughts and actions toward God. It is not a day merely to rest from work. It is a sacred day to be spent in worship and reverence. As we rest from our usual daily activities, our minds are freed to ponder spiritual matters. On this day we should renew our covenants with the Lord and feed our souls on the things of the Spirit.

I was under the understanding that not only is it suppose to be kept holy, but it's a day to relax and spend some time with family & friends.

Often we travel on Sundays within a couple hours to be with our friends and family too. I don't feel one bit guilty about it.

Someone said that we are not supposed to travel on Sunday? It is no problem, I will do it but I'm just surprised.

no that is their intrepretation of keeping the sabbath day holy.

We are supposed to do that which will help us focus and do the things that are Godly on the sabbath, and by the flipside, try to avoid the things that would distract us from such- ultimately what that all entails is going to be up to you to find out between you and God.

In various times and places, travelling was related to partying or doing the worldly things, which where the concept of avoiding travel and other similar things may have originated from.

Could it be possible that the sabbath day of the old testament was to remind us what we lost in the garden and a foreshadow of what we would regain with Jesus? Now that we live under a "better covenant" could it also be that the sabbath day is no longer a day but a person and that person being Jesus? So, could you say that for the believer, Jesus is the lord of the sabbath and we now rest in Him 24/7/365? Just thought I would throw that out there.

PS I would not sweat the traveling.

Could it be possible that the sabbath day of the old testament was to remind us what we lost in the garden and a foreshadow of what we would regain with Jesus? Now that we live under a "better covenant" could it also be that the sabbath day is no longer a day but a person and that person being Jesus? So, could you say that for the believer, Jesus is the lord of the sabbath and we now rest in Him 24/7/365? Just thought I would throw that out there.

PS I would not sweat the traveling.

I have never heard of that idea before... and I was in the Bible-belt for two years. Saw snake handlers and heard other things... but never heard of that one.

I'm not telling you "you're wrong" as we're ALL allowed to believe the way we choose. I'm only saying that I've never heard of it.

I have never heard of that idea before... and I was in the Bible-belt for two years. Saw snake handlers and heard other things... but never heard of that one.

I'm not telling you "you're wrong" as we're ALL allowed to believe the way we choose. I'm only saying that I've never heard of it.

Heb 4:1-11

1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

5And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

6Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

7Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

8For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

9There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

10For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

11Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

I am sure you are familiar with Jesus being the "Lord of the sabbath" and above we see scripture about entering His rest. Jesus is the sabbath. He gives us rest. Jesus said

Mat. 11:28-30

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden , and I will give you rest . 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Are you heavy laden or are you resting in Jesus?

So, a question I've been pondering awhile - is it OK to go to the gym on the Sabbath - assuming you've gone to church? Often it's just me, my son is off doing his own thing, and if I don't have class on Monday, I wouldn't mind getting out and hitting the gym. I could say it is a way to do the upkeep on my bodily temple...

Also, what about nice car rides on Sunday?

So, a question I've been pondering awhile - is it OK to go to the gym on the Sabbath - assuming you've gone to church? Often it's just me, my son is off doing his own thing, and if I don't have class on Monday, I wouldn't mind getting out and hitting the gym. I could say it is a way to do the upkeep on my bodily temple...

Assuming I owned a gym membership, I personally would avoid going to the gym on Sunday. There is a reason the temples are closed on the Sabbath... :)

I don't see anything wrong with it.

Personally I would avoid the gym. Even those heavily into working out take one day for rest.

I guess it depends on what kind of travel. If you are driving somewhere out of town I don't see the problem with it. I can understand why people might not want to take a bus, train, or plane on Sundays since you are making other people work. It can't always be avoided, but it's nothing that would cause you to be disciplined by the Bishop.

Personally I would avoid the gym. Even those heavily into working out take one day for rest.

I'd avoid the gym too, but not because of the need for physical rest but for the same reason I avoid going to the store or some other business.