Chick-fil-a

NeuroTypical

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I think.

The owner of Chick-Fil-A was asked a question about his personal opinion/belief. He answered the question honestly. His answer flies in the face of what is currently deemed to be acceptable, and has thus been called hateful, intolerat, etc.

However, neither the question nor the answer have any connection to how he manages his business. Go to any of the restaraunts and you'll see it's true. They serve customers that come into the store, just like any other business.

Saying you want to boycott Chick-Fil-A because the owner thinks marriage is between man and woman only is like wanting to boycott Sears because the name starts and ends with the same letter.

Edited by RipplecutBuddha

However, neither the question nor the answer have any connection to how he manages his business.

To be fair to the other side, they're also upset that Chick-Fil-A has donated some profits to groups supporting traditional marriage. They tell me there's a difference between having an opinion vs giving millions of dollars to groups that push a political agenda. And that's fair enough I suppose.

LM, just curious. Would you still be a customer if the president of Chik-fil-a had the opposite opinion?

I can answer this. Amazon impresses me with their prices, fast delivery, and I like my new Kindle Fire. It saddens me that they are supporting LGBT advocacy with a few million dollars, but I will remain a customer, because they do their business so well.

To be fair to the other side, they're also upset that Chick-Fil-A has donated some profits to groups supporting traditional marriage. They tell me there's a difference between having an opinion vs giving millions of dollars to groups that push a political agenda. And that's fair enough I suppose.

Only if they allow others to be upset about companies donating millions of dollars to groups supporting same-sex marriage.

Well, I did go to Chick-Fil-A for lunch. I ordered the basic chicken sandwich and a mini sundae. It was absolutely delicious and I even managed to eat the whole thing, rather than the nibbling I've been doing lately, and my only regret is not ordering the waffle fries.

I don't think the Chick-fil-a situation warrants a boycott. I was just curious if anyone believed that boycotting has any benefits.

The only real benefit I can think of is letting people know of your stance on < insert subject >.

Then again, you can do that in other, less irritating ways.

The only real benefit I can think of is letting people know of your stance on < insert subject >.

Then again, you can do that in other, less irritating ways.

I'm not all that familiar with the politics of business but the only situation where I might validate a boycott, is to push for better working conditions for factory workers. Especially since, in third world poverty stricken areas, the workers aren't going to put up much of a fuss regarding equality and how they are treated -- they're just happy they can support their families. Obviously, this is a much different situation than boycotting because you disagree with the company's founder's view on sexuality, for example.

First, I don't like Chick-fil-a's food. Pickles on a chicken sandwich? No flavor on their pieces of cardboard with holes in it... that they call 'waffle fries'? No thank you.

However, I support their right to do good business anywhere they choose as long as they follow the laws in each area for doing so. I would rather "Boycott Boston" instead of the Mayor of Boston "morally choosing" who can do business there.

On the other side, is JC Penny. There have been some (stupid) controversies with Ellen DeGeneres being the spokesperson for JC Penny. The fact is, Ellen is good looking and is funny... as long as she is being Ellen "the person" instead of being "Ellen the lesbian". JC Penny offers a good product for a reasonable price. (I do miss the sales they used to have.)

This whole thing is just "re-igniting" the Prop 8 people who used to boycott any LDS business... but now it's spreading to all of anyone who believes and lives in accordance with any version of Christianity.

What ever happened to "Do unto others what you would have them do unto you" on BOTH sides???

Just wondering - would anyone boycott a movie studio for placing sexual subliminal messages in children's movies and hidden images in adds and pictures advertising the movie?

When I first heard of such a thing - I did not believe it until a friend and coworker showed me the images on the tape package we had purchased for our children. It was not difficult from the images to determine what social political "influence" was responsible. but what was interesting - in light of things currently; is the media response then and now.

The Traveler

Only if the company were publicly owned would this become a moral and even a legal issue. (ah, the other shoe lands against the attack on big public-owned business being evil, but that's another discussion). As long as all the legal obligations regarding corporate profits have been addressed (payroll, taxes, etc.), all remaining funds can be used as the owner sees fit.

At the end of the day, he runs his busniess affairs legally, and eagerly so. What he choses to do with the money he has earned is just as it ever was with whoever earned money for their labor. It's his business how it is spent and nobody else's.

I understand they're upset that someone dares to disagree with them, but eventually they'll either accept it, let it go, or simmer in miserable hatred the rest of their days.

No matter what, being offended is a choice.

Edited by RipplecutBuddha

As i said in another thread I'm not exactly a fan of the stance being taken against Chick-fil-a, I just don't feel good about city governments getting in the way. That being said after reading some of the comments about boycotts and such i kinda want to bring up One million mom's and their constant call for boycotts.

One Million Moms

Anything that remotely ruffles their feathers is an instant boycott and call or write in campaign. JC penny as mentioned earlier was a huge battle cry for them and they keep on going. they are constantly going after people for running their business in a way they don't like.

Okay, what is in a Frappuccino? I was always under the impression that it had coffee in it?? :confused:

The Double Chocolatey Chip Frap is basically frozen hot chocolate. Some are coffee based, but this and the Strawberries & Cream Frap are non-coffee creme-based drinks.

Edited by Wingnut

That being said after reading some of the comments about boycotts and such i kinda want to bring up One million mom's and their constant call for boycotts.

One Million Moms

Anything that remotely ruffles their feathers is an instant boycott and call or write in campaign.

This is an affiliate of the American Family Association, sponsors of the failed Disney boycott. I remember when we had our ministers' conference in Orlando, back in 2000. Most of us thought the boycott was silly, but at the same time, our leadership had decided to support it. So, most of us didn't take the side trip to Mickey land. Not sure the boycott officially ended...it just sort of whimpered into oblivion.

Ever since then I've been sour on most boycotts.

When I was in Seattle last weekend, I had a strawberries and banana smoothie from Starbucks. I'm not sure if it was a frap or not. But it was really good too.