Concealed carry firearms

bytor2112

Tuesday night a brother at church taught the concealed carry permit class (Florida) for free and though I am not into shooting....I took the class. I now find myself wanting to own a handgun or two....just in case I want to conceal and carry one.

I am considering a Smith and Wesson Body Guard/38 caliber with laser sighting or a Texas Defender Derringer by Bond arms....or maybe both. :)

Any conceal carry suggestions or comments?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very brand loyal to Glock. Treated correctly, they are among the most reliable, sturdy, accurate pistols out there.

I have the G26 'baby Glock' 9mm sitting here with me right now in my kydex IWB holster. My wife and I have matching G26's. Same ammo, interchangable clips. She has a laser sight and cross-draws from the front though.

For general owning, you also need a safe of some kind. For carrying, you need to figure out how you will carry. I'm partial to on your body as opposed to a bag or fanny pack or planner or something. If you go with some sort of waist holster, I'd also recommend you buy a sturdy expensive belt - probably from a gun store - made to support the weight of a holster for years.

If you go with some sort of waist holster, I'd also recommend you buy a sturdy expensive belt - probably from a gun store - made to support the weight of a holster for years.

Expensive is relative; the Wilderness Tactical Instructor belts are some of the best out there, and under $50. Go for the 5-stitch at least, though; I've heard of folks actually carrying enough junk to get the 3-stitch to sag.

As for the guns, if you're looking at small .38s, skip it and go for a .357. You can always shoot .38s in it if you want, but the full magnum loads aren't as bad as you might think with good grips and some practice.

I'm hoping my husband doesn't run across this thread. Yes we needs guns and I fear the reason we have the right to own and carry firearms in our constitution is going to happen....but... I hate guns. We have a rifle (the first purchase hubby made after we were married...yup.. even before the crib.

Coming from a family of nurses and a long family line of health care professionals (my great great great grandfather was a physician) I ...well, I guess I've seen enough and heard enough about the damage a gun can do to the body. Even though I understand the need to have guns I still shudder at the thought of having a handgun in the house.

For me, brand loyalty is good and all, but when I shop for a gun I focus on the caliber I want first, then look at four or five manufacturers options in that caliber. I'll then settle on the style I want, semi-auto, revolver, etc. For rifles I love a good lever-action, but bolt-action is preferred for hunting. In this way, I can do a lot of research on my own before going out to a gun shop or gun show. When I'm at that point, I generally know what I'm looking for and can maximize the time spent.

For the gun itself, the regular items have to be right, balance, overall weight, trigger pull, trigger pull length, etc. By that time I'm usually down to two or three options, at which point I allow myself to look at the options such as integrated laser, and so on.

I used to have a 7 1/2 inch Ruger Redhawk .44 mag that was an excellent firearm. I wish I still had it. I also had a US-made Makarov 9mm x 18 that was a fun gun to own and shoot. Right now I have a .22 pack rifle that seems to come from the 50's or 60's, but I'm not sure. It needs work, so I don't shoot it often. Gotta get another self-defense gun though. I had a Ruger GP-101 spurless .357 that was great but it had to be sold as well. As I said...gotta get shopping ;)

Gun selection is like car selection. All kinds of arguements about which is better. As mentioned above, you are a heathen and will damned for all eternity if you choose something other then a Glock. That said, the first thing is to choose a caliber that you are comfortable shooting AND has a consistent ability to put someone down. I am assuming you are talking about a self defense weapon. Then if you have a range that will rent guns, you should shoot a bunch and different calibers. Whichever one you are comfortable with is the right choice. But if you choose something other then a Glock you are a pagan and going to hell for all eternity. I have carried several different handguns and finally settled on the Glock 17 early in my career. I've carried the same gun for 13 years now (G17). It has consistently performed. The only other advice I would suggest is to avoid anything but the larger brand name guns. You know, names like Glock, which I might add is what the armed portion of church security carry, and thus the Official Handgun of the Church. All others of course will find themselves in Outer Darkness.

I am apparently going to hell anyway and then the fact I dont think you should buy a gun just because it struck you as a good idea at a class. I can look through gun magazines and see all the cool guns and want them all but do I need one? Not at this time. No. If I were living alone, I might want to get a small pistol nearby but otherwise no.

I am apparently going to hell anyway and then the fact I dont think you should buy a gun just because it struck you as a good idea at a class. I can look through gun magazines and see all the cool guns and want them all but do I need one? Not at this time. No. If I were living alone, I might want to get a small pistol nearby but otherwise no.

Wouldn't you feel safer in hell if you had a Glock with you?

Gun selection is like car selection.

Yup; if you think the Chevy Monza was the pinnacle of human capability, then get a Glock.

If you prefer a Lamborghini's repair bills, get an FN 5.7

If you want something that will reliably let you destroy whatever's at point B from point A, get a 1911.

Posted Image

I can see that a number of members of this message board are hellbound. That's a pity, you all seemed like such nice people. Just goes to show you can never really get to know someone on the internet.

LOL

I've already been there thank you. And it was frozen over. :P

Wouldn't mind owning a glock, a WWII walther, or a browning 1945