What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

How to Train Your Dragon 2.

It was awesome.  Except, it felt rushed - important problems seem to get overcome very quickly and great warriors - dragins and humans both - seem to get defeated very quickly, so you don't really feel the characters struggle.  And I hated what happened to Stoick.  Yes yes, I understand it had to happen.  I still hated it though.

Penelope.  LOVED THIS MOVIE!

McAvoy is fast becoming one of my super short list of favorite actors (which is interesting that Fassbender is on that list too - and they're both on X-Men).  Ricci is, of course, as good as she always is... but even better in this movie because it's not her usual, I'm the monster... GROWL... role... but I'm a monster but I'm really hoping I'm not... and she was very effective at portraying that.

It's a light movie - not very emotional and not very funny.  Just mediocre on both counts... plus, I'm not easily moved (I didn't need tissues for Fault in Our Stars even) but, I can't believe I had to grab a tissue when McAvoy kissed Ricci! 

Loved Penelope

Maleficent.

I actually really enjoyed this one, and opposite Apple, I heard a lot of downers about it. When I watched it, I actually got close to tearing up a few times, there were just parts that I could emotionally relate to. A friend of mine said Angelina Jolie felt awkward in some scenes, and there might have been a couple of those, but I think I can pinpoint why. In my mind, Jolie is typically considered a strong woman, a sex symbol, no-nonsense type, so whenever you see her weep tears or show sympathy in any degree, it can be hard to really grasp. Overall, I felt she did a nice job on it.

I'd recommend it - I did for my own mum - I'd recommend it if you have kids. If you don't like Jolie to begin with - might want to take a hike instead - cos the movie revolves around here.

I definitely wouldn't take younger children to Maleficent.  Its too dark.  It should have been a PG13 rating not PG.

How To Train Your Dragon 2.

It was good! My husband and daughter just loved it. I would say that the first is probably still my favourite, but they did a fantastic job with the sequel. The CGI is that much better, too.

Pam, if you don't like seeing a woman playing a strong role where she is in battle and engaging in fight scenes, then yeh, might have an issue with this one. I wouldn't recommend it for "young children" solely on the reason that some scenes are a bit frightening.

God's Not Dead

Some have argued that the movie is unrealistic, and that the scenario of a professor requiring students to write "God is dead" as a class assignment would not happen.  However, at the end of the movie there were hundreds of citations of legal disputes between universities and Christian students. 

My 13 year old understood everything and was inspired to be unwavering in her faith at school. 

When I consider some of the conversations my children have had about gay marriage at school, I find this movie very realistic.  Good music too!

Despicable Me 2. Started out fine, very funny -except for fart guns,, that I could have lived without, devolved into a frenetic lack of plot, way too scary and threatening for kids, just rushing through the story board, as though they had lost interest in the movie and just wanted to end it with as much action as possible, no fun. Very disappointing.

Earth To Echo - LOVED THIS MOVIE.

Finally, a movie about pre-teen boys (and a girl) that actually portray real boys who are generally good boys.  The script writer must've just told the boys - there's no script, just say whatever comes out of your mouth if you are in this situation.  Awesome.  A lot of times, when 12-year-old boys are depicted in a movie, they talk like 21-year-olds... this time, the boys talk like my sons!  There were so many times that I thought to myself - yep, that's my son.  Even when they rode over 17 miles away from home on their bikes, I thought to myself, yep, that would be my boys...

I've missed this type of movie... haven't seen much of it lately... where it's a movie about best friends going on an adventure without anybody getting bloody, getting shot at, or shooting somebody, or killing somebody - not even aliens, and nobody is kissing somebody or getting naked.... and it was fun, suspenseful at times (jumped out of my seat a couple times!), funny at times (the entire theater broke out laughing a few times), heartstring pulling at times (yep, some women had tissues out)... yes, the parents were portrayed as couldn't-care-less parents and the adults are generally bad, but they set it up very nicely by giving them a reason to be temporarily wholly occupied by other things giving the boys room to be without parental supervision.

So yeah, a great movie for ages 8 to 108... my only problem is I get dizzy when they use the video-cam perspective which is pretty much the entire movie... it's not half as bad as Chronicle which I hated... and the video-cam is pretty stable.  But, it does give you those odd angles that is not too friendly on my bad eyesight...

JOE

I don't like Nicholas Cage that much, but we decided to rent this one on RedBox because it received decent reviews. I thought it was bloody awful. It was not only boringly slow, the plot was choppy, and you felt no connection to any of the characters. Not one. I would say that this is a bad spin-off of MUD. I didn't like MUD all that much, either, but JOE was really really really bad in comparison.

The Wolverine.

One of the few Marvel movies that I hate with a passion.  And I love Wolverine.  This goes in the same crap pile as XMen Origins: Wolverine and XMen: The Last Stand.

The Green Mile.  Again!  It just happened to come on tv while I was working this morning so I watched it.  I love this movie. Of course I cried in the same part of the movie again too.

Transformers..the Age of Extinction

x2.

What a mess of a movie.  It felt veeeerrryyy long because after an hour of transforming and action that is too fast for my eyes to track, I'm just tired of it because I can't follow the storyline... and, man... that girl just cannot act worth anything.  And Prime getting space jets in the end was just the last straw... it was just too stupid.

i'm restraining my self to watch movie since I got my mission call xD. but the last movie I watch was transformers. too bad my SA friends tag me along and watch the movie. I guess this will be the last time we will be together .

I only love the animations on the transformers, didn't like the story plot 

x2.

What a mess of a movie.  It felt veeeerrryyy long because after an hour of transforming and action that is too fast for my eyes to track, I'm just tired of it because I can't follow the storyline... and, man... that girl just cannot act worth anything.  And Prime getting space jets in the end was just the last straw... it was just too stupid.

Space jets? Have they turned his trailer into a giant gun yet? That's what I've wanted to see.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic